U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 01:18 PM

28,272 posts, read 26,273,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well if nothing else you should get back more often for the food. Still great Italian but now a ton new BYOs in Passyunk (all varieties) and some great mexican and asian food not to mention some really good beer, scotch, whickey, and gastro pub selections.

You can grab some really Pho and walk a block and get some dessert at Terminis or Ishgro for some of the best Canoli anywhere - quite the concentration of really good ethnic foods and quite a variety really. Not sure how many visitors (or even the Rittenhouse crowd) ever venture in but well worth the culninary visit - sadly no real good Irish food in the area, but just about anything else
Oh no, I looooove cannoli. Absolutely love Termini's, but I've only been to the one in Reading Terminal. Do you think there's a difference between that one and the one in South Philly?

Best damned soft pretzels on Earth, imo.

http://www.centercitypretzel.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 01:20 PM

22,341 posts, read 32,192,195 times
USA, Statistics by Diocese, by Catholic Population [Catholic-Hierarchy]

Baltimore is 16% Catholic with 500K Catholics
Philly is 38% Catholic with 1.5 Million (excludes S Jersey and DE as they are different Dioceses) BTW Camden has 34% Catholic with 460K Catholics accross the river

Also look at Boston >50%

Old 09-26-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Oh no, I looooove cannoli. Absolutely love Termini's, but I've only been to the one in Reading Terminal. Do you think there's a difference between that one and the one in South Philly?

Best damned soft pretzels on Earth, imo.

Welcome to Center City Pretzel
I actually only once at the RTM location, was good, dont remember it being discernably different TBH. At least they are fresh squeezed there. And generally fresh as they get a good crowd. Cant stand Canoli that has been sitting

And don't forget Dinics there, that sandwich is the real deal

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Old 09-26-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Philly is 38% Catholic with 1.5 Million (excludes S Jersey and DE as they are different Dioceses) BTW Camden has 34% Catholic with 460K Catholics accross the river

Also look at Boston >50%
Maryland is a bit similar to Louisiana (just a bit) as far as having an unusually high number of Black Catholics. Calvert, St. Mary's, and Queen Anne's County were settled by English Catholics who built tobacco plantations. Their slaves adopted their religion as did the slaves of the French in Louisiana. This is why you meet (or at least I meet) so many Black Catholics in the area.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 10,326,456 times
Quote:

Also look at Boston >50%

Makes sense. Philly area is more Protestant than Boston I think due to loads more African Americans. It is noticeable how few blacks you see in downtown Boston compared to downtown Philadelphia. Another way Baltimore and Philly are very similar.

My Italian relatives are from fabric row in S. Philly way back. Then they migrated to Upper Darby. And finally some are moving back to S. Philly while others moved to Cherry Hill and S. Jersey. I think you are spot on though about why the city limits are still more Irish. Northeast Philly didn't change nearly as much as S. Philly. Back in the 60's and 70's S. Philly was heavily, heavily Italian-American. Think Frank Rizzo.
Mayfair was very Irish-Catholic, and still is today. Think St. Matt's Parish in Mayfair vs. St. Monicas in S. Philly.

Personally I find Southern cities like Atlanta, Birmingham, Jackson, and even Charleston boring in comparison with their mostly Wasp and African American populations. Very little European ethnicity compared to northeast cities. I always get a kick out of census statistics showing all these Irish down South. They are just white Southern Scotch-Irish protestants checking the Irish box. They have zilch in common with Irish-Catholics. In fact in Ireland those two groups despised each other, probably to this day still do in some quarters.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Makes sense. Philly area is more Protestant than Boston I think due to loads more African Americans. It is noticeable how few blacks you see in downtown Boston compared to downtown Philadelphia. Another way Baltimore and Philly are very similar.

My Italian relatives are from fabric row in S. Philly way back. Then they migrated to Upper Darby. And finally some are moving back to S. Philly while others moved to Cherry Hill and S. Jersey. I think you are spot on though about why the city limits are still more Irish. Northeast Philly didn't change nearly as much as S. Philly. Back in the 60's and 70's S. Philly was heavily, heavily Italian-American. Think Frank Rizzo.
Mayfair was very Irish-Catholic, and still is today. Think St. Matt's Parish in Mayfair vs. St. Monicas in S. Philly.

Personally I find Southern cities like Atlanta, Birmingham, Jackson, and even Charleston boring in comparison with their mostly Wasp and African American populations. Very little European ethnicity compared to northeast cities. I always get a kick out of census statistics showing all these Irish down South. They are just white Southern Scotch-Irish protestants checking the Irish box. They have zilch in common with Irish-Catholics. In fact in Ireland those two groupd despised each other, probably to this day still due in some quarters.
Yep - I was born and baptized in St Tim's; makes perfect sense. Think how much different QV and Bella Vista are today than even 25-30 years ago. Don't see any mob hits at Dante & Luigi's these days (food still remains stellar) yet to me walk around Mayfair and the number of Irish tats is palpable

Old 09-26-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Personally I find Southern cities like Atlanta, Birmingham, Jackson, and even Charleston boring in comparison with their mostly Wasp and African American populations. Very little European ethnicity compared to northeast cities. I always get a kick out of census statistics showing all these Irish down South. They are just white Southern Scotch-Irish protestants checking the Irish box. They have zilch in common with Irish-Catholics. In fact in Ireland those two groups despised each other, probably to this day still do in some quarters.
No, they are Irish (whether they're now protestants, as are many Irish in the NE, we have no way of knowing). "Scots-Irish" tend to identify themselves as such and more commonly report the "American" ancestry on the Census form.

New Orleans, Charleston and Savannah had (and still have) fairly large Irish populations. Most port cities did. In fact, Baltimore's Irish population is much more comparable to Charleston's on a percentage basis than it is to Philadelphia's.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.

Btw, Charleston hosts the Spoleto Festival every year, which is pretty cool. You should try visiting some of these cities before you declare them to be "boring" and "Wasp." And Baltimore is majority AA anyway like most southern cities.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:43 PM

390 posts, read 785,625 times
The correct answer is Boston

Old 09-26-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
That's not really what it is. Norfolk County and Bucks County (the most Irish County in the PA burbs) have nearly identical African American populations yet the former is still more Irish. Boston and its surrounding counties are simply more Irish.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,026,386 times
Quote:
sort of related

Statistics
I'm surprised to see Pittsburgh similar to Boston, considering its metro is nearly half the population of Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or