U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 02:12 PM

12,330 posts, read 10,295,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No, they are Irish (whether they're now protestants, as are many Irish in the NE, we have no way of knowing). "Scots-Irish" tend to identify themselves as such and more commonly report the "American" ancestry on the Census form.

New Orleans, Charleston and Savannah had (and still have) fairly large Irish populations. Most port cities did. In fact, Baltimore's Irish population is much more comparable to Charleston's on a percentage basis than it is to Philadelphia's.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.

Btw, Charleston hosts the Spoleto Festival every year, which is pretty cool. You should try visiting some of these cities before you declare them to be "boring" and "Wasp." And Baltimore is majority AA anyway like most southern cities.

I noticed you failed to mention Atlanta, Jackson and Birmingham but instead picked cities that have some, not large, ethnic white populations. There are also loads of German Catholics in northeast cities, South not so much.

Your post is BS.

Explain this from the 2000 census in MS:

According to the 2000 census, the largest identified ancestries in the state are:So you are going to tell me there are more "Irish" in MS than English and Scotch-Irish? I don't believe it. And no, Irish Protestants account for a tiny percentage of the population of Ireland. In NI they are not Irish, they are Scoth-Irish.

BTW, what ethnicity are you since you speak with such authority about my own ethnicity?
Do you have any family knowledge passed down from generations about the diff between Irish Catholics and Protestants?

As far as White ethnic diversity in the North vs South, just take a look at PA and NJ and then look at MS. We are much more diverse with our white populations, and you know it.

PA:

28.5% German
18.2% Irish
12.8% Italian
9.6% African
8.5% English
7.2% Polish
4.2% French Canadian
2.9% Puerto Rican[SIZE=2][56][/SIZE]
2.2% Dutch
2.0% Slovak
2.0% Scotch Irish
1.7% Scottish
1.6% Russian
1.5% Welsh
1.2% Hungarian
1.0% West Indian
1.0% Ukrainian
1.0% Mexican

NJ:

The five largest ethnic groups in 2000 were: Italian (17.9%), Irish (15.9%), African (13.6%), German (12.6%), Polish (6.9%)

Yeah there sure are a load of Polish down there in Dixie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 02:19 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,993,051 times
I don't believe you will find anywhere in the south with more Irish than English or Ulster-Scot ancestry. "American" on the census form is majority the latter two groups.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:27 PM

28,248 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I noticed you failed to mention Atlanta, Jackson and Birmingham but instead picked cities that have some, not large, ethnic white populations. There are also loads of German Catholics in northeast cities, South not so much.
Hmm...I didn't realize that Atlanta, Jackson and Birmingham were port cities. At any rate, Birmingham is more diverse than you realize. It also attracted many Italian and Irish immigrants during its heyday as a steel-producing city.

And there weren't many Germans in New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, etc. Didn't we already cover this in a different thread? Pennsylvania is a bit anomalous in this respect as a Northeastern state and it could be even be argued that parts of the state are more culturally and demographically Midwestern than Northeastern.

Quote:
So you are going to tell me there are more "Irish" in MS than English and Scotch-Irish?
Didn't I say that Scots-Irish "more commonly report the 'American' ancestry?" Maybe I should just start writing my posts in all caps and bold. Anyway, I said that Baltimore's Irish population was more comparable to Charleston's than Philadelphia's, which I showed through hard cold data straight from the Census Bureau.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I noticed you failed to mention Atlanta, Jackson and Birmingham but instead picked cities that have some, not large, ethnic white populations.
Wouldn't you also say that Baltimore has "some, not large" numbers of ethnic whites? Italians and Irish make up roughly 20% of the population in the Baltimore MSA and 14% in the Charleston MSA. In Philadelphia, Italians and Irish make up 34% of the area's population. I'm sure it's even higher for the New York metro. And probably higher for the Boston metro.

Sure, you can toss in Polish to make your case, but the Poles aren't large enough in number to really widen the gap between Baltimore and Charleston (maybe one percentage point difference). And there are only 7,119 Greeks in Baltimore County (and only 2,163 in Baltimore City), which is a considerably smaller population than Season 2 of the Wire would lead us to believe.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:45 PM

7,735 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Quote:
No, they are Irish (whether they're now protestants, as are many Irish in the NE, we have no way of knowing). "Scots-Irish" tend to identify themselves as such and more commonly report the "American" ancestry on the Census form.

New Orleans, Charleston and Savannah had (and still have) fairly large Irish populations. Most port cities did. In fact, Baltimore's Irish population is much more comparable to Charleston's on a percentage basis than it is to Philadelphia's.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.

Btw, Charleston hosts the Spoleto Festival every year, which is pretty cool. You should try visiting some of these cities before you declare them to be "boring" and "Wasp." And Baltimore is majority AA anyway like most southern cities.
Baltimore being a majority AA city TODAY is the most off-based criterion to use when gauging whether it is southern or not. Baltimore was over 80% white 70 years ago. The Great Migration and White-flight, my friend, look it up.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore being a majority AA city TODAY is the most off-based criterion to use when gauging whether it is southern or not. Baltimore was over 80% white 70 years ago. The Great Migration and White-flight, my friend, look it up.
I didn't say anything about Baltimore being southern. I was using data to show that Baltimore's Irish population was more similar to Charleston's than Philadelphia's. There's just one poster whose freaking out because he can't believe that a southern city could possibly have any type of population beyond Scots-Irish waving rebel flags and donning Confederate greys.

Besides, your counteargument doesn't make any sense because southern cities were white before the Great Migration as well. Do you think Atlanta has always been majority black? Memphis? Jacksonville? African Americans just didn't move to northern cities during the Great Migration. They also moved to southern cities like Atlanta, Nashville and Durham. There were jobs in those cities too. You need to read some history and get your facts straight.

But that's neither here nor there. This thread is about the Irish.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
the most Irish part of Massachusetts, btw, is the south coast, stretching the Boston city limits down to Plymouth. The Irish leaving neighborhoods in Boston tended to go in the same direction, plus some of those areas were heavily Irish-American already. An odd one I found in wikipedia is Butte, Montana, an old mining town. Some upstate cities are rather Irish-American, for example Troy, NY. My current city, not know for being particularly Irish is 22%. But that's not noteworthy for interior New England.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Here's an actual Irish neighborhood:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/12/ny...etjournal.html

Woodlawn, Bronx. 40% Irish-American. 10% born in Ireland.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:28 PM

349 posts, read 606,991 times
Quote:
Many Scotch-Irish answer Irish in the census too because the term Scots-Irish isn't very known and I've the impression when people hear it, they only focus about the word "Irish" and not the word "Scots". Irish Catholics didn't immigrate in mass in the interior south so I'm always surprise when I see a town or a county with a high Irish percentage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
An odd one I found in wikipedia is Butte, Montana, an old mining town. Some upstate cities are rather Irish-American, for example Troy, NY. My current city, not know for being particularly Irish is 22%. But that's not noteworthy for interior New England.
There was also the small town Greeley in Nebraska who had the highest percentage of Irish American (43 %) of any town/city with more than 500 people in 2000. But in 2010, the population was 466 so I think that doesn't count anymore.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:38 PM

Part of the reason Boston is associated with Irish is historical. No city or region of the country got quite as thoroughly culturally or politically dominated by Irish-American. And arguably the Irish-American identity was stronger there than anywhere else, mainly due to ethnic tension. Boston had the worst ethnic tensions of any of the large cities in the 19th and early 20th century between the native English-descended "Yankees" and the Irish-Americans. For example,

Curley’s People - The Boston Globe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or