U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 09:31 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,762,597 times

Advertisements

Nearly everyone in my hometown in northern NJ was either Irish or Italian (you had a few Jews, and Slovaks but they were the exception). I am Irish. The Irish went to one parish, the Italians went to another, same with the pediatrician, the Irish kids went to Dr. Cassidy, the Italian kids went to Dr. Alonzo. Everyone got along. It's changed dramatically since I was a kid and I laugh thinking back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 09:44 AM

43 posts, read 47,877 times
May I mention Dublin, Ohio, the leprechaun of Columbus, Ohio's eyes?!!!

Old 09-27-2013, 01:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And how does that county compare to a county in Oregon? Or South Dakota? "Germanness" is not something that's peculiar to the Northeast. Italian, yes. German, no. But people keep bringing it up like it is. Outside of the Midwest, Germans probably have the most even distribution of any Census reported ancestry.
I didn't say it was peculiar to the Northeast. Obviously less than many parts of the country. But say that the Northeast has almost no German-Americans (excluding PA) isn't true. Even downstate NY has a sizeable population: Suffolk County has 16%; third ancestry after Italian and Irish. According to wikipedia, Jewish is only 6%, even though the NYC metro is associated more with Jewish rather than German. [Nassau County is more Jewish (17%) than German (10%) or Irish (16%)] For the inner (but not the outer) suburbs it's #2; and for Manhattan and Brooklyn probably #1 if looking at only whites. More distinctive is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Still, German is the most common ancestry in much of Upstate NY, especially the more rural sections. For example, a rural county I have family:

German: 23%
Irish: 18%
English: 17%
Italian: 10%

Not quite to Midwestern levels, but higher than the coastal Northeast and New England. Another small city/rural county to the north [Cayuga] has slightly German and slightly more Irish (26%), with Irish the most common. Italian is 15%, German 18%. Seems like German is the most common, with Irish #2. Italian has a greater change in urban/rural than Irish.
Irish-Americans aren't usually associated with rural / small city areas, but it upstate NY they are either #1 or #2 ancestry. That's not common elsewhere in the country except New England. Italian is also very high for outside a big city, that may be nearly unique to upstate NY.

All three northern New England states are Irish-American, at about 20%.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:48 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
Quote:
I didn't say it was peculiar to the Northeast. Obviously less than many parts of the country. But say that the Northeast has almost no German-Americans (excluding PA) isn't true. Even downstate NY has a sizeable population: Suffolk County has 16%; third ancestry after Italian and Irish. According to wikipedia, Jewish is only 6%, even though the NYC metro is associated more with Jewish rather than German. [Nassau County is more Jewish (17%) than German (10%) or Irish (16%)] For the inner (but not the outer) suburbs it's #2; and for Manhattan and Brooklyn probably #1 if looking at only whites. More distinctive is this:

Irish-Americans aren't usually associated with rural / small city areas, but it upstate NY they are either #1 or #2 ancestry. That's not common elsewhere in the country except New England. Italian is also very high for outside a big city, that may be nearly unique to upstate NY.

All three northern New England states are Irish-American, at about 20%.
Many smaller eastern PA cities also have very large Italian populations, Scranton, WB, Pittston to name a few - not sure how common that is but is very apparent in these places, maybe moreso than Philly for example on the relative scale

Old 09-27-2013, 01:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Many smaller eastern PA cities also have very large Italian populations, Scranton, WB, Pittston to name a few - not sure how common that is but is very apparent in these places, maybe moreso than Philly for example on the relative scale
I was referring outside cities, for example Cayuga County's largest city has 27,000. The other rural county (Tioga) doesn't really anything that could be called a city.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:53 PM

28,264 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Quote:
But say that the Northeast has almost no German-Americans (excluding PA) isn't true.
Where did I say that? I was the one who went through and calculated the German percentages for each state in the first place, remember? If I said that "the German percentages in Virginia and the Carolinas are comparable to the percentages in New York and New Jersey," how do you then interpret that as me saying "the Northeast has almost no German-Americans?" Kindly respond. Thx.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:56 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
Quote:
I was referring outside cities, for example Cayuga County's largest city has 27,000. The other rural county (Tioga) doesn't really anything that could be called a city.
fair points, but still would say even th smaller rural towns areas in the Poconos have pretty large Italian populations - not sure how they would compare to the NY counties you referenced

on the Irish though agree, not much outside the cities, see more Italians in these areas in this regard. Seems to change west and South though were larger populations of Italians are more limited to specific cities. Chicago, Cleveland, SF, SD (I believe)

Old 09-27-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Where did I say that? I was the one who went through and calculated the German percentages for each state in the first place, remember? If I said that "the German percentages in Virginia and the Carolinas are comparable to the percentages in New York and New Jersey," how do you then interpret that as me saying "the Northeast has almost no German-Americans?" Kindly respond. Thx.
you didn't. I thought it might be a common misconception.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:06 PM

56,586 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Hempstead, probably. Though not as deprived:

Hempstead (village) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
What about Westbury/New Cassel or perhaps North Amityville in terms of demographics? Roosevelt and Wyandanch are probably the Blackest communities in NY State.

Anyway, I was trying to say that there is a stronger German presence in Upstate NY and in PA than people realize. They tend to be more assimilated, but for some, the ties are still pretty strong. We actually have German clubs/festivals up here. In my area, many moved to the Northern suburbs(especially the Liverpool area) from the North Side of Syracuse, as the Italian population grew on that side of town.

As for where I grew up, the school district I lived in had a community with a very high Irish percentage(Westvale). It also had a Catholic HS whose nickname for sports was the Gaelic Knights, no less and that school is named after a former Bishop that was originally from Ireland.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-27-2013 at 05:32 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Westbury/New Cassel or perhaps North Amityville in terms of demographics? Roosevelt and Wyandanch are probably the Blackest communities in NY State.
Westbury is middle-class and about half-white (then equally black and hispanic). New Cassel has few white people but is more hispanic than black. Roosevelt and Wyndanch are around 60%+ black. But Hempstead is the densest, and has the most "old city" feel possible in Long Island and has some decay so it's the best match to Newark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or