Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

sort of related

Statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
True, but I'm sure some Irish had to have left the city too. From the stats, it's obvious that Italians have left at a higher rate, but why?
I think it has to do with the Northeast (NE Philly) where there are more Irish in the relative sense and less left. Some migration accross the board but S Jersey had a large influx of Italians wheras the other counties PA are more balanced

S Philly is becoming more gentrified, esp North of Washington and an influx of asians and hispanics South of Wash (most pronounced East of Broad) in what were very traditionally Italian neighborhoods

Just look at all the new Pho and Taquarias in the 9th street market and gastro pubs in Bella Vista and QV, even G-ho

Old 09-26-2013, 12:46 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think it has to do with the Northeast (NE Philly) where there are more Irish in the relative sense and less left. Some migration accross the board but S Jersey had a large influx of Italians wheras the other counties PA are more balanced
I have no data to back this up (which means I'll have to search for it at some point), but anecdotally, I feel that Italians tend to leave the region altogether (at least more than the Irish do). When I look at my Facebook page, I'm like "Oh, such and such's mom lives in Florida now" and "Oh wow, I didn't know your parents moved to Arizona." It seems that Italians are a bit more anxious to get to warmer climates. But again, this is based on my own personal observation, not empirical evidence.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:46 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
South Jersey, like the new South Philly

Places like Marlton, Deptford, Swedesboro etc.
Your definitely correct with that statement, especially towns like Washington Township and Hammonton.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
S Philly is becoming more gentrified, esp North of Washington and an influx of asians and hispanics South of Wash (most pronounced East of Broad) in what were very traditionally Italian neighborhoods

Just look at all the new Pho and Taquarias in the 9th street market and gastro pubs in Bella Vista and QV, even G-ho
So what you're saying is that the traditional Italian stronghold in Philly has undergone more dramatic demographic change than the traditional Irish stronghold in Philly. Yeah, I can buy that. Particularly since South Philly is so close to Center City (one reason). The influx of Asian and Hispanic immigrants is also another factor, as you mentioned. The Northeast is also growing more diverse, but I think it's taken a bit longer for that to happen.

Although South Philly was definitely the heart of the city's Italian community, I think many people don't even realize that Southwest, West and Northwest Philadelphia were home to sizeable Italian-American communities. Overbrook (west of 63rd) was still largely Italian until the 90s. And Vincent's is still serving kick ass pizza after all these years.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
So what you're saying is that the traditional Italian stronghold in Philly has undergone more dramatic demographic change than the traditional Irish stronghold in Philly. Yeah, I can buy that. Particularly since South Philly is so close to Center City (one reason). The influx of Asian and Hispanic immigrants is also another factor, as you mentioned. The Northeast is also growing more diverse, but I think it's taken a bit longer for that to happen.
Yeah and the Far NE, say North of Frankford is still largely unchanged and highly Irish

S Philly while still a strong Italian element is slowly to moderately turning over to yuppies and immigrants

Old 09-26-2013, 01:03 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
That's what many people on here say, but I rarely see the data to back it up.

I wouldn't dispute that Baltimore is more Catholic than Charleston. But Philadelphia is way more Catholic than Baltimore. Not only is the Archdiocese of Philadelphia larger, but the percentage of Catholics within its jurisdiction is much, much, much higher than Baltimore's (39 vs. 16-17 percent...still much larger even after excluding Hispanics and Filipinos). Maryland also has a historical peculiarity in that it has quite a number of English Catholics (who founded the state) as well as a number of African American Catholics (who account for nearly 20 percent of the state's Catholics).
The Archdiocese of Baltimore is the first (and oldest) Diocese in the US.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah and the Far NE, say North of Frankford is still largely unchanged and highly Irish

S Philly while still a strong Italian element is slowly to moderately turning over to yuppies and immigrants
I ate at Stogie Joe's last year (I get to S. Philly about once every two years) and was surprised to see Italians period. I knew there were yuppies, but I thought it would be 115% yuppified. But there were still some Italians left. More Asians. But enough Italians where it was noticeable to both me and the people I was showing around town. It wasn't like Mulberry Street where the only thing close to being authentically Italian are the Prada bags you see.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The Archdiocese of Baltimore is the first (and oldest) Diocese in the US.
And? What does that have to do with the data I posted?

Old 09-26-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I ate at Stogie Joe's last year (I get to S. Philly about once every two years) and was surprised to see Italians period. I knew there were yuppies, but I thought it would be 115% yuppified. But there were still some Italians left. More Asians. But enough Italians where it was noticeable to both me and the people I was showing around town. It wasn't like Mulberry Street where the only thing close to being authentically Italian are the Prada bags you see.

Well if nothing else you should get back more often for the food. Still great Italian but now a ton new BYOs in Passyunk (all varieties) and some great mexican and asian food not to mention some really good beer, scotch, whickey, and gastro pub selections.

You can grab some really Pho and walk a block and get some dessert at Terminis or Ishgro for some of the best Canoli anywhere - quite the concentration of really good ethnic foods and quite a variety really. Not sure how many visitors (or even the Rittenhouse crowd) ever venture in but well worth the culninary visit - sadly no real good Irish food in the area, but just about anything else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.