U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:56 AM

4,099 posts, read 4,737,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityBrightLights View Post
Knoxville, TN
Asheville, NC
Little Rock, AR
Trinidad, CO
Santa Fe, NM
Flagstaff, AZ
Other than Trinidad, none of those are obscure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:44 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,318,361 times
I like LaCrosse, WI. I like Nisswa, MN and Geneva, IL too. Throw in Mackinac Island, MI but it may not be that obscure.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:22 AM

8,571 posts, read 5,384,219 times
Albuquerque, el paso, Tacoma, Spokane, Wichita, Omaha, Dayton.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:59 PM

478 posts, read 883,251 times
Is savannah considered obscure?

I got to give it props for it's architectural beauty.

Oh and St Augustine, FL, a real gem.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:32 PM
BMI

7,265 posts, read 4,504,148 times
Silver City, NM
Jerome, AZ
Montpelier, VT
Page, AZ
Telluride, CO
Butte, MT
Glenwood Springs, CO

Old 10-17-2013, 07:21 PM

4,231 posts, read 2,512,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Silver City, NM
Jerome, AZ
Montpelier, VT
Page, AZ
Telluride, CO
Butte, MT
Glenwood Springs, CO

Old 10-18-2013, 04:07 PM

9,432 posts, read 18,334,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Telluride, CO
Telluride is awesome! Best mountain town I've ever seen anywhere.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:36 PM

814 posts, read 937,930 times
How are we defining "city?" It's hard for anything over 100,000 people to really be "obscure." People have been naming small towns, though, so if anything goes then #1 on my list of places I have been (considering just the U.S. and Canada) is definitely Ouray, CO. As close to Switzerland as I have ever felt in this country.

I also love Eureka Springs, AR.

And Stone Harbor, NJ is my favorite beach town. So tidy and sleepy for being part of the Jersey Shore, and pleasantly walkable to boot.

As far as larger places go, I found Greenville, SC (60,000 pop) to be surprisingly very agreeable (though I hear the politics there are about as far from my own as you can get), and it's a place that was not even remotely close to my radar before I stopped by.

And I'll second what an earlier poster said about Las Cruces, NM (100,000 pop, who knew?)...Mesilla and the Organ Mountains are awesome, and if they can get their Downtown business district really thriving (which by most accounts they seem on their way to doing), it will be a really great place.

Last edited by that412; 10-18-2013 at 04:50 PM..

Old 10-21-2013, 03:33 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
My car broke down in Ukiah, California, and I had to stay overnight and all the next day. It was a really nice city, the more so for being in California.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:06 AM

15,042 posts, read 4,801,752 times
Stillwater, MN (not obscure in MN and eastern WI but probably everywhere else): it has a scenic setting on the St. Croix river and is about 20 miles from urban attractions in the Twin Cities; it has some hills in its topography and beautiful Victorian homes that have been converted to bed and breakfast inns and some very good restaurants, pubs and stores in its downtown area. There is a large bookstore (converted former church) with over 200,000 books and several antique stores and even a gondola on the river for couples that want a Venice-like experience (in season of course). The St. Croix river is a federally protected waterway and just a short drive north of Stillwater provides some impressive scenery and recreation.

Northfield, MN is a wonderful college town that I also have visited...two colleges town to be more accurate (Carleton and St. Olaf). They celebrate the defeat of Jesse James Days every September to commemorate that historic day in the 1870's. The downtown is historic and has nice walkways and views along the Cannon River (less impressive than the St. Croix, but still nice) and also has excellent stores and eateries. One of the best arboretums in the country is also there and the colleges add to an already impressive cultural scene for a town of just 20,000 people. Like Stillwater, it is reasonably close to Minneapolis and St. Paul for additional activities...about 35 miles south.

San Luis Obispo, CA (again not obscure to CA but to most other places): a great college town sometimes overshadowed by Santa Barbara. I live just two hours from this town and have had good times here. It has a wonderful downtown area with many restaurants, stores and events and is also home to the famed Madonna Inn which is very charming and quirky (pink and copper are featured colors) and also historic. It has one of the best steakhouse restaurants in the Central Coast area. The Pacific coast is just 10 miles away in the Pismo Beach region. Residents enjoy cultural activities and for sports they enjoy the San Luis Obispo Blues semi pro baseball team. This town is about halfway between LA and SF so you will find varied pro sports allegiances which makes things interesting as well. It is not real close to a large city, but that also helps keep it from being too crowded like you sometimes see in Monterey (with all the Bay Area visitors) or Santa Barbara (with all the LA area visitors). SLO has a population of about 45,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or