U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:47 PM

991 posts, read 923,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

KCK is an industrial/blue collar suburb of KCMO. Nothing more. It's not even a very urban city and has almost nothing in common with KCMO. As mentioned, there are other Kansas side suburbs that are nearly as large or larger than KCK.
KCK actually has some nice things going for it. My wife grew up in KCK as a war refuge from Laos. After spending time in refuge camps, even the worst parts of KCK were an upgrade for her. However, there are some nice things in KCK: Sporting Park, The Legends, Community America Ballpark, the Rosedale Arch, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

But as far as the original question. Pretty much nobody knows this. Even people that have visited the or have been there once or twice don't understand KC's geography. East and west coast people don't have a clue about Chicago. They are utterly clueless about KC and have no idea what it's like at all. I find it entertaining now.
A majority of my family just came from the East to visit...they were amazed by the place. They all stayed at the IC and loved the Plaza. I took them to all the sites (Liberty Memorial, River Market, the new Performing Arts Center...). They were attending our wedding which was at the Unity Temple in the Plaza and a ceremony at Californos in Westport. They were flabbergasted at how nice this city was. I grew up in the East, and when I was originally transferred to KC I thought I wouldn't stay there that long....however I ended up falling in love with this city. I say, keep it that way...I would rather be a hidden gem than a overcrowded "place to be" city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 08:56 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,919,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
It still surprises me how shockingly little many people on the coasts know about anything outside their own tiny worlds. They aren't only ignorant about the "flyover states", they are ignorant of the other coast too! So I don't expect such people to know about other countries and cultures. I wonder if they have all been collectively sleeping through grade school.

It's sad indeed, I agree with you. Most of the non coastal states I know have bigger and more vibrant cities than the states close to them. Who the hell wants to live in say, Maine? Lol
Sadgirl have you ever been to Maine? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Also I'd imagine it is safe to assume that, on a geographically-themed forum, the majority of people will know that the anchor Kansas City is in Missouri. What is the point of this?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:16 PM

10,850 posts, read 19,467,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
Sadgirl have you ever been to Maine? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Also I'd imagine it is safe to assume that, on a geographically-themed forum, the majority of people will know that the anchor Kansas City is in Missouri. What is the point of this?
Yea, "most" people on this forum are somewhat tuned into that KC is in MO and KS and probably more than half know that the core city is in Missouri. But even on this forum and other urban planning or city discussion forums, KC is probably one of the least understood/known or talked about cities. Most people just don't care about Kansas City and because they don't care, they never really learn about it or soak much in.

Regardless, a question like this on a forum like this will get you nowhere.

In real life, I would say that 90% of the population of the country has no clue the KC's urban center is not in Kansas even if they do know that the metro is in two states.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:24 PM

10,850 posts, read 19,467,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
KCK actually has some nice things going for it. My wife grew up in KCK as a war refuge from Laos. After spending time in refuge camps, even the worst parts of KCK were an upgrade for her. However, there are some nice things in KCK: Sporting Park, The Legends, Community America Ballpark, the Rosedale Arch, etc...

A majority of my family just came from the East to visit...they were amazed by the place. They all stayed at the IC and loved the Plaza. I took them to all the sites (Liberty Memorial, River Market, the new Performing Arts Center...). They were attending our wedding which was at the Unity Temple in the Plaza and a ceremony at Californos in Westport. They were flabbergasted at how nice this city was. I grew up in the East, and when I was originally transferred to KC I thought I wouldn't stay there that long....however I ended up falling in love with this city. I say, keep it that way...I would rather be a hidden gem than a overcrowded "place to be" city.
KCK has a little suburb tacked onto its far west side. Village West may as well be in the city of Bonner Springs. KCK is not all bad, I never said that. It's a modest, blue collar suburb/city with many immigrants etc. It's not a terrible place. But the city has put all its eggs in developing a retail suburb while not doing much of anything for the actual city of KCK. With KCK's location, they could have done much better. But that's Kansas. Kansas just has no idea how to build or maintain anything "urban". Other than college towns, which don't need much help, most cities in Kansas are just not all that great, if not complete disasters.

KCK is a suburb that could have a neat little urban downtown that could compliment KCMO. Not going to happen though.

KCMO and the metro area despite their problems is one of the nicest and most unique cities in the country though. It's all kinds of things that nobody east of St Louis or west of Topeka would ever image and it's fun to show off to people from outside the region, I always enjoyed doing that.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:41 PM

10,168 posts, read 6,509,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
#1, yes I know about Kansas City, MO and have since I was a young kid. To me that is akin to ....Duh!

#2, What's wrong with living the beautiful state of Maine?
Maine is awesome!

I agree.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:20 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,389,506 times
There isn't any conflict, and shouldn't be any confusion.
Here is the timeline of the name:

1673 -- Kansa Indians named by explorer Marquette
1718 -- Kansas River appears on a map
1819 -- First steamer navigates Kansas River
1831 -- Town of Westport established at site of now Kansas City Mo.
1850 -- "Town of Kansas" incorporated adjacent to Westport, at the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers. Later known as City of Kansas, and finally Kansas City, Missouri.
1854 -- Kansas Territory organized by US government.
1861 -- State of Kansas formed from Kansas Territory and admitted to union
1868 -- City of Kansas City, Kansas, established, expanding the original town of Wyandotte.

So, all of them, the river, the territory, the state, and both cities derive their name from the Indian tribe. Kansas has been a city for longer than it has been a state, and Kansas City Missouri came first..

Last edited by jtur88; 09-28-2013 at 07:50 AM..

Old 09-28-2013, 07:30 AM

6,872 posts, read 7,827,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Who the hell wants to live in say, Maine? Lol
Yea, who would wanna live in Maine:

Old 09-28-2013, 11:31 AM

21,390 posts, read 21,961,490 times
this thread ranks high in duh-ness

Old 09-28-2013, 11:58 AM

649 posts, read 984,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
KCK is paradise compared to anywhere in Laos, Somalia, Ethiopia, Camaroon, Pakistan, Bangladesh.... But it isn't really an indication of its value as a "city" in the US.

The Legends area is pretty nice, that was a commendable development they made to revitalize the city. Never been to Rosedale Arch.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 09-28-2013 at 12:56 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 12:08 PM

649 posts, read 984,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post

I haven't been to Maine. My statement was, there is a sizable number of cool and awesome Midwestern cities that people outside the Midwest have no idea existed, these same people are the ones bashing the Midwest frequently, and to make matters more hilarious, the Midwestern cities are far bigger and more vibrant than many of the states close to them (but they wouldn't know because they have never been to the Midwest). I named Maine as an example. I had no doubts that Maine is beautiful, but still thanks for the pictures ..I can't find a single state and even territory (Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgin Islands, etc) that I'd ever discount as having no beauty but that's just the kind of person I am.

But the point I was making wasn't about beauty, but about the presence of large scale urban development. As for the remark who wants to live in Maine, statistics show 80 percent of Americans live in urban and suburban areas.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 09-28-2013 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or