U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 10:38 AM

649 posts, read 981,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I find your genralizations about people from elsewhere inaccurate. You may feel differently yourself if you get out and travel a bit more rather than getting your views of the world from anonymous CD posters.
Your advice is weird because our experiences are taken from real life encounters whereas I'd think regulars of the CD forum are actually a group of self selected enthusiasts who already know more about the country than the average person or are people who have learned as a result of coming to the forum. I've seen at least one post from a coaster here who said he didn't know KC was so cool and from the forum he now knows and wants to visit one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 10:44 AM

20,846 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
It still surprises me how shockingly little many people on the coasts know about anything outside their own tiny worlds. They aren't only ignorant about the "flyover states", they are ignorant of the other coast too! So I don't expect such people to know about other countries and cultures. I wonder if they have all been collectively sleeping through grade school.

It's sad indeed, I agree with you. Most of the non coastal states I know have bigger and more vibrant cities than the states close to them. Who the hell wants to live in say, Maine? Lol
It doesn't surprise me, but the Upper Midwest is generally better in most categories overall which is one of the main deciding reasons why I moved here. It has little at all in common with the Lower Midwest and we are attracting more coastal transplants by the month. Kansas City has positives like COL but fortunately it is not very representative of the Midwest as a whole as it is at the geographical southwest periphery of the region.

LOTS of people would love to live in Maine if they had a better economy with a somewhat more favorable tax structure. New Hampshire is better than Maine in most respects.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 09-29-2013 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-29-2013, 10:48 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,936,547 times
Quote:
As above.
Kansas City is in Oregon

Old 09-29-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Kansas City is in Oregon
That is strange.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City,_Oregon

Old 09-29-2013, 11:03 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,936,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
A lot of important farms right around that area.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:45 AM

6,852 posts, read 7,797,618 times
Quote:
Your advice is weird
Guess that makes us even: your posts are weird.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:49 AM

649 posts, read 981,459 times
Quote:
LOTS of people would love to live in Maine if they had a better economy with a somewhat more favorable tax structure. New Hampshire is better than Maine in most respects.
I'm not as quick to agree with that (not saying its not beautiful so no pictures needed. All the states and territories have beauty). The weather there is a bit of turn off. Maine is the coldest state in the continental US together with ND, without ND's booming economy.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,901,922 times
Minnesota and North Dakota are both colder than Maine in the winter. Also neither of them have the beautiful rocky ocean coast that Maine has. But this thread isn't about Maine or ND...it's about Kansas City, which is in Missouri...which I guarantee everyone who reads this forum regularly already knows.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not as quick to agree with that (not saying its not beautiful so no pictures needed. All the states and territories have beauty). The weather there is a bit of turn off. Maine is the coldest state in the continental US together with ND, without ND's booming economy.
You've never been to Maine or any of the states in that area so I would disagree. Minnesota and most of Wisconsin have colder average temperatures than many parts of Maine where the majority of the population resides. North Dakota has a one dimensional economy (energy) that is accounting for the vast majority of the job growth, and most people would not want to live there or choose to live there other than the fact that they followed a job that they needed.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:19 PM

6,852 posts, read 7,797,618 times
Quote:
You've never been to Maine or any of the states in that area so I would disagree. Minnesota and most of Wisconsin have colder average temperatures than many parts of Maine where the majority of the population resides.
Yes, these are actual facts. The OP has taken to posting stereotypical assumptions about a state she has never been too - assumptions which turn out to be incorrect:
Quote:
Maine is the coldest state in the continental US
And all in a thread in which she disparages others for their lack of knowledge and assumptions they about a place she calls home. Now isn't that ironic.

This seems a trollish, tiresome and bating thread in which the bulk of the inaccuracies and prejudices on display are offered by the OP. Good grief - I've lived on the east cost, the gulf coast and believe it or not, right on Armour Boulevard in KCMO. And while in KC, most of people I knew just thought of the cities on the east coast as someplace "back east". Ask the average Kansas Citians to name the six New England states (and their capitals?) and see how many of them get it right. It would not occur to me to be offended by anyone's lack of such knowledge.

Last edited by JMT; 09-29-2013 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or