Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 09:02 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,132,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It doesn't surprise me, but the Upper Midwest is generally better in most categories overall which is one of the main deciding reasons why I moved here. It has little at all in common with the Lower Midwest and we are attracting more coastal transplants by the month. Kansas City has positives like COL but fortunately it is not very representative of the Midwest as a whole as it is at the geographical southwest periphery of the region.

LOTS of people would love to live in Maine if they had a better economy with a somewhat more favorable tax structure. New Hampshire is better than Maine in most respects.

Hard trolling. You confuse better with "I prefer", and it comes across as a biased juvenile hang-up...because it is. As is your ad nauseum repeating of your tired and misguided trope about the lower midwest not being a real part of the true midwest.

And if your hypothesis is that attracting coastal implants is a litmus test for "better", or having things "in common" with the "core midwest" you should revisit the in-migration stats for Kansas City...

And for the record, Maine is quite lovely, but lots of people do not want to live there. Or they would. In fact, the amount of people who do not want to live in Maine so grossly overwhelms the amount of people who do that its hardly worth mentioning, and if you weren't so willfully obtuse, I wouldn't bother.

Last edited by SPonteKC; 09-29-2013 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 06:29 AM

649 posts, read 1,209,954 times
Quote:
You've never been to Maine or any of the states in that area so I would disagree. Minnesota and most of Wisconsin have colder average temperatures than many parts of Maine where the majority of the population resides. North Dakota has a one dimensional economy (energy) that is accounting for the vast majority of the job growth, and most people would not want to live there or choose to live there other than the fact that they followed a job that they needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Yes, these are actual facts. The OP has taken to posting stereotypical assumptions about a state she has never been too - assumptions which turn out to be incorrect:

And all in a thread in which she disparages others for their lack of knowledge and assumptions they about a place she calls home. Now isn't that ironic.

This seems a trollish, tiresome and bating thread in which the bulk of the inaccuracies and prejudices on display are offered by the OP. Good grief - I've lived on the east cost, the gulf coast and believe it or not, right on Armour Boulevard in KCMO. And while in KC, most of people I knew just thought of the cities on the east coast as someplace "back east". Ask the average Kansas Citians to name the six New England states (and their capitals?) and see how many of them get it right. It would not occur to me to be offended by anyone's lack of such knowledge.
Oh really?

Coldest States in the US - Current Results

Maine, Vermont, Montana and Wyoming are "consistently cold through out the year" with no reprieve. If we are going by just one season, which was how ND is claimed to be colder than Maine then even a state like Oregon would make the list in summer.

One dimensional boom sounds a lot better than no jobs to most thinking people, not sure how it does to you. I said I haven't been to ME once again you put words in my mouth. I never said anything about the area. I've been to MA. close enough.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 09-30-2013 at 06:48 AM..

Old 09-30-2013, 10:58 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,534,656 times
It is probably fair to assume that most people will only be bothered by cold winters, and not "cold summers"...which in all reality means MILD weather, which most people prefer. Thus, you saying "Who the hell would want to live in Maine because it's the coldest state in the lower 48" is dumb not only because it has an immature tone and off topic for this pointless thread, but also it is completely subjective with no real merit.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:24 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,579,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
For someone who's been to "just 14" states, you seem to have formed quite an opinion about people from elsewhere. Examples:

As someone who has been to 48 states (going to the 49th in January), I find your genralizations about people from elsewhere inaccurate. You may feel differently yourself if you get out and travel a bit more rather than getting your views of the world from anonymous CD posters.
QFT. She didn't help her cause with that post. I'd love to start asking her questions about my state and see how "enlightened" she is.

And FTR, I don't know anyone on this supposed "dumb" coast who doesn't know *the* KC is in MO.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:40 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,185,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I said I haven't been to ME once again you put words in my mouth. I never said anything about the area. I've been to MA. close enough.
For someone who seems to be on a crusade bemoaning the lack of knowledge among "coasters" of the midwest, you display a considerable lack of knowledge of at least part of the east coast - New England. So you feel a visit to Mass is "close enough" to impart knowledge of Maine. They are very different states - Mass is highly educated, very urban and economically quite successful. Maine is rural, older and is struggling economically. The topographies are quite different as well as their histories and ethnic make-up. Even Mass differs from east to west. Only seeing one part of the state will give very different impressions from the other.

Sorry, but "close enough" is not good enough. It would be as if someone visited St Louis and felt they had great insight into KC. Kind of an ironic argument given the premise of your thread.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:27 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,111,398 times
I feel like I've known the "big" Kansas City was in MO since a young child. Like 2nd grade social studies. I remember actually getting angry about it, like Missouri was stealing Kansas's thunder or something. I dk. 7 year old irrational thinking, lol.

I am actually moving to KCMO in a few weeks and my friends in CA, most of whom are well educated, are like, you're moving to Kansas? Then I have to explain, like my social studies teacher did to me in 2nd grade, that the larger and more well-known Kansas City is actually in Missouri.

It's funny because overwhelmingly the people out here who I've spoken with about this topic have a more positive view of Missouri than they do Kansas... I'm not really sure why though since they obviously don't seem to know much about either state.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 PM

24 posts, read 40,793 times
Quote:
It doesn't surprise me, but the Upper Midwest is generally better in most categories overall which is one of the main deciding reasons why I moved here. It has little at all in common with the Lower Midwest and we are attracting more coastal transplants by the month. Kansas City has positives like COL but fortunately it is not very representative of the Midwest as a whole as it is at the geographical southwest periphery of the region.

LOTS of people would love to live in Maine if they had a better economy with a somewhat more favorable tax structure. New Hampshire is better than Maine in most respects.
Is it actually possible for you to make a post on this forum about Kansas City, in which you do not alienate it from its own region? Every single post you make about Kansas City is how "different" it is from the "core midwest." No wonder people in KC are known to have an inferiority complex. You have people from outside the Midwest telling them how flat, dull, and boring their city is (even when they've never been there), and then YOU spewing this garbage all over the internet on how KC is a completely different world from the Midwest. Get a grip.

Oh, and go ahead and delete this post, like you did with my other one, if it hurts your feelings.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 PM

37,734 posts, read 40,776,995 times
I'm allergic to Kansas City. Don't know what's in the air but the whole time I was visiting (multiple days)on a work related trip, everytime I went outdoors I cried. The tears just poured out of my eyes. It was very embarrassing. The only time I got relief was when I went indoors. It's never happened any place else. Otherwise, I liked it.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:50 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,209,981 times
Quote:
Oh really?

Coldest States in the US - Current Results

Maine, Vermont, Montana and Wyoming are "consistently cold through out the year" with no reprieve. If we are going by just one season, which was how ND is claimed to be colder than Maine then even a state like Oregon would make the list in summer.

One dimensional boom sounds a lot better than no jobs to most thinking people, not sure how it does to you. I said I haven't been to ME once again you put words in my mouth. I never said anything about the area. I've been to MA. close enough.
I'm glad you dislike colder weather as that keeps more people away and allows us to have a superior quality of life with less overcrowding. Inferior climate to me means ridiculously hot temperatures combined with humidity at a lower latitude. I've experienced air temperatures of 114F with humidity in eastern Kansas and I never wish to deal with that level of heat and humidity ever again.

Massachusetts has next to nothing in common with Maine so that isn't a valid reply to your familiarity with northern New England. Also, Maine is a very large state geographically for being in the eastern US so lots of differences exist within the state itself from the coastal regions, Portland, the western Mountains, the North Country, and the "Rooftop of Maine," otherwise known as Aroostook County.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
Quote:
It still surprises me how shockingly little many people on the coasts know about anything outside their own tiny worlds. They aren't only ignorant about the "flyover states", they are ignorant of the other coast too! So I don't expect such people to know about other countries and cultures. I wonder if they have all been collectively sleeping through grade school.

It's sad indeed, I agree with you. Most of the non coastal states I know have bigger and more vibrant cities than the states close to them. Who the hell wants to live in say, Maine? Lol
Those who choose to live in Maine want to live there, nothing like bashing an entire state for no particular reason.

As far as your original post, who cares? Does this issue keep you up at night? Does it interfere with your daily living? If you answered yes to either of those questions you should consider seeking better popcorn and professional therapy. Not necessarily in that order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.