U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:12 AM

12,247 posts, read 17,986,322 times

Advertisements

I's say, WA state, Oregon, California, New Mexico and Utah has most of them. ( mountain cities )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 08:16 AM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I's say, WA state, Oregon, California, New Mexico and Utah has most of them. ( mountain cities )
AND Colorado (Denver is closer to the Rockies than Portland is to Mt Hood & the Cascades), Colorado Springs sits at the base of Pikes Peak with a very striking mountain setting. I'd also Arizona for good measure, Tucson has impressive surrounding mountains, and Phoenix does pretty well with mountains as well. To sum it up, just about any large city in the West.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:20 AM

605 posts, read 1,234,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstc View Post
It's a small city/town, but Bend, Oregon is a great Mountain town. It has a lot of amenities for it's size.

I agree. Bend Oregon would be high on my list!

Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 AM

The most striking mountain setting of any mountain city in the United States is Anchorage, Alaska. Having a window seat on plane while decending into Anchorage is astonishingly breathtaking.

not my photos

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 09-30-2013 at 08:32 AM..

Old 09-30-2013, 10:55 AM

9,033 posts, read 8,742,864 times
^^ It's a bit of a stretch to call Anchorage a "mountain city," IMHO. If we accept that simply being able to *see* mountains makes it a "mountain city," then Seattle, Portland, and even Los Angeles are contenders too.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
^^ It's a bit of a stretch to call Anchorage a "mountain city," IMHO. If we accept that simply being able to *see* mountains makes it a "mountain city," then Seattle, Portland, and even Los Angeles are contenders too.
How so when the city is backed right by the Chugach range and there are foothill neighborhoods within the city limits? It is every bit a mountain city and it is palpably felt all around it. To say otherwise clearly indicates no experience with the place at all.

This photo was taken right IN Midtown Anchorage

not my photo

What are your standards for a mountain city? Built right on and around the summits?

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 09-30-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 12:13 PM

15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
How so when the city is backed right by the Chugach range and there are foothill neighborhoods within the city limits? It is every bit a mountain city and papably felt all around it. To say otherwise clearly indicates no experience with the place at all.
Probably because it's at sea level.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Probably because it's at sea level.
So is Vancouver, and like Anchorage the mountains wedge the city between the ranges and the sea. Saying Vancouver or Anchorage is not a mountain city is like saying Las Vegas or Phoenix arn't desert cities.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:43 PM

15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
So is Vancouver, and like Anchorage the mountains wedge the city between the ranges and the sea. Saying Vancouver or Anchorage is not a mountain city is like saying Las Vegas or Phoenix arn't desert cities.
Then I guess we need to add Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, and San Diego to the mix if that's your definition of "mountain city"..

No matter where you go in Phx or Vegas you're in the desert, not really the case with mountains and Anchorage or Vancouver. Also the whole "city limits" argument is a bit ridiculous with Anchorage considering it's about the size of Delaware.

Personally I would consider a "mountain city" somewhere at a relatively higher elevation and landlocked, somewhere like Reno, Santa Fe, Abq, etc.. There really aren't many large cities in the US that would fit that definition though.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Then I guess we need to add Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, and San Diego to the mix if that's your definition of "mountain city"..

No matter where you go in Phx or Vegas you're in the desert, not really the case with mountains and Anchorage or Vancouver.

Personally I would consider a "mountain city" somewhere at a relatively higher elevation and landlocked, somewhere like Reno, Santa Fe, Abq, etc.. There really aren't many large cities in the US that would fit that definition though.
I don't really understand the how presence of the sea (an inland inlet surrounded by mountains at that) would disqualify Anchorage being a mountain city if the mountains are just as visible and nearby as they are in a city like Albuquerque. Most of Albuquerque is in a valley, by that kind of logic does that make it more of a valley city than a mountain city? Take a flight up to Anchorage and land at the airport and look out the window while decending into the city and tell me it's not much of a mountain city. How would that even be debatable?

Quote:
Also the whole "city limits" argument is a bit ridiculous with Anchorage considering it's about the size of Delaware. .
Downtown Anchorage to Chugach Foothills Park is only 8 miles, I know Delaware is small but not that small. FAIL.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=D...=h&mra=ls&z=12

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 09-30-2013 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or