U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 11:04 AM

44,791 posts, read 36,172,094 times

Advertisements

I've traveled throughout the US as a corporate trainer and also as a military dependent, and have lived as far "north" as Ohio and traveled as far north as New Jersey (not counting layovers in NYC as actually traveling there). I've spent a lot of time in PA, OH, and MD (actually lived in MD - twice).

I've also been to Minnesota as well as Oregon and Washington state (among others, but those are the farthest north I've been outside the northeast).

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in every region and I have found mostly pleasant and friendly people everywhere. My personal preference regardless of region or part of the world is to avoid large urban areas and spend as much time as possible in rural or small town areas - and what I've found is that people are pretty similar everywhere. I've never felt out of place as a native Southerner - not in Philly, not in Washington DC, not in Minneapolis or Portland, or London or Prague or the little villages of Yorkshire, England. (Salt Lake City was a little weird but that's a whole other story!)

I really love the history of the US and much of that history is centered or started in the NE. My husband and I are planning a big road trip through the NE states (starting in Boston and driving up to the Canadian border) next year in fact, and I'm sure we'll have a fantastic time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 01:02 PM

21,959 posts, read 22,118,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
(Salt Lake City was a little weird but that's a whole other story!)

Old 06-30-2015, 03:22 PM

13,220 posts, read 17,960,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Sobbing, tears streaming from my eyes, I fall to my knees with my gaze up towards the rain, screaming the name "LINCOLN!" from the top of my lungs whenever I think of the North.
So when you visit the graves of Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee, you end up like this guy at 3:05, right?

Old 06-30-2015, 03:26 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,927,632 times
I think no differently of the northern US than I do of the southern or western US. People are people, and I don't buy into the stereotypes. I have found really nice, friendly people in the Northeast and New England and have thoroughly enjoyed the times I have spent in NYC, Boston, Buffalo, Rochester, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Harrisburg, Provincetown, Atlantic City, Rehoboth Beach, Baltimore, etc. It's all the US and I never felt anything but at home.

I don't consider myself as having much of an accent, but people always noticed and were interested in it...almost attracted to it. I thought that was cute.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 06-30-2015 at 03:57 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 04:12 PM

13,358 posts, read 7,023,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I think no differently of the northern US than I do of the southern or western US. People are people, and I don't buy into the stereotypes. I have found really nice, friendly people in the Northeast and New England and have thoroughly enjoyed the times I have spent in NYC, Boston, Buffalo, Rochester, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Harrisburg, Provincetown, Atlantic City, Rehoboth Beach, Baltimore, etc. It's all the US and I never felt anything but at home.

I don't consider myself as having much of an accent, but people always noticed and were interested in it...almost attracted to it. I thought that was cute.
Yeah, I love Southern accents. I think a lot of people do.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

What I meant by that is that it is the only place in the US where I have felt out of place. I went there for a convention and I'm just not used to being surrounded by extremely religious people who don't drink while I'm at a convention.

That being said, it's a beautiful city. I just wouldn't move there if I wasn't Mormon - which I'm not. I am sure that many non Mormons build a great life there but hey, get this - I wouldn't move to Vatican City either. Or a town which was dominated by, say, adherents to Oral Roberts. Or a mountain top in Tibet.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:43 PM

21,959 posts, read 22,118,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What I meant by that is that it is the only place in the US where I have felt out of place. I went there for a convention and I'm just not used to being surrounded by extremely religious people who don't drink while I'm at a convention.
That's kind of funny. Right now, the General Convention of the Episcopal Church (a national convention which convenes every three years) is being held in Salt Lake City. I'd say these people are "extremely religious," so I can't help but wonder if they're feeling out of place here or not Also, I don't know how long ago you were here, but unless you're right in Temple Square, I don't think there's a particularly religious vibe here at all -- at least not in the areas most tourists would likely visit.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:46 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
Quote:
That's kind of funny. Right now, the General Convention of the Episcopal Church (a national convention which convenes every three years) is being held in Salt Lake City. I'd say these people are "extremely religious," so I can't help but wonder if they're feeling out of place here or not Also, I don't know how long ago you were here, but unless you're right in Temple Square, I don't think there's a particularly religious vibe here at all -- at least not in the areas most tourists would likely visit.
When does the air quality get bad and how long does it last? i hear it can get really bad there at times.

Salt Lake City seems like such a beautiful city to me and i really wanna move their in the future.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I respect your perspective but mine differs.

It's all good. I don't want to live in Utah anyway, so everybody wins!

Old 07-02-2015, 01:38 AM

25,022 posts, read 23,916,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post

Thank you! After reading this thread, I was starting to feel a little weird and self conscience about having been born and raised in Pennsylvania. I guess I'm a damn Yankee, but I don't feel like one.

There are good and nice people everywhere. You find them or they find you. There are also rude and nasty people everywhere. I avoid them whenever possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or