U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2013, 05:06 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 20 days ago)
 
8,696 posts, read 10,842,175 times
Reputation: 12754

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There are definitely some Long Islanders/New Yorkers that have barely seen glimpses of the US outside NYC metro, except for maybe a beach trip down south or a ski / summer vacation trip upstate.

So not that surprising.
Upstate, too. Many have never left their local environment except vacationing in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 AM
 
Location: The South
5,225 posts, read 3,635,618 times
Reputation: 7906
My son lives Westchester county . Talking to one of his neighbors, I was asked about driving to Florida and what was the safest way to get thru Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 01:00 PM
 
774 posts, read 1,696,569 times
Reputation: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
My son lives Westchester county . Talking to one of his neighbors, I was asked about driving to Florida and what was the safest way to get thru Georgia.
Did he say what he was concerned about? I'm not trying to be funny, but I have lived in both NY and GA, among other states. When I lived in NY (Long Island), I would hear people talk about driving to Florida and the hostility they would face driving through the South with NY tags. For some reason, many seemed to think GA was extremely hostile to NYers and that cops were especially fond sitting on I-95, waiting to pull over NYers. I don't know if the mentality is changed up there with many NYers living in GA, but I can tell you that the above mentioned scenarios are not true. Yes, there are a few with a negative view of NYers, but the great majority will extend true Southern Hospitality to all. Cops there, like everywhere else, target speeders, regardless of what tag they have on their car. Now, if he is worrying about crime, areas along I-95 are safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 01:04 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,742 posts, read 6,144,011 times
Reputation: 3590
I don't feel any type of way about the people (northerners in PA) 20 miles up the street from me. They're basically Baltimoreons too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 01:31 PM
 
Location: The South
5,225 posts, read 3,635,618 times
Reputation: 7906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Did he say what he was concerned about? I'm not trying to be funny, but I have lived in both NY and GA, among other states. When I lived in NY (Long Island), I would hear people talk about driving to Florida and the hostility they would face driving through the South with NY tags. For some reason, many seemed to think GA was extremely hostile to NYers and that cops were especially fond sitting on I-95, waiting to pull over NYers. I don't know if the mentality is changed up there with many NYers living in GA, but I can tell you that the above mentioned scenarios are not true. Yes, there are a few with a negative view of NYers, but the great majority will extend true Southern Hospitality to all. Cops there, like everywhere else, target speeders, regardless of what tag they have on their car. Now, if he is worrying about crime, areas along I-95 are safe.
I think he watched a lot of TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2013, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Greenwich
489 posts, read 567,635 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I lived most of my life on Long Island in NY and my first 7 years in the Bronx. I also lived 3 years in Washington, DC and 12 years in Maryland. I'm now in my 7th year in Tennessee. I think I'm qualified to post on this topic.

1. Nobody has ever asked me about my religion in any place I have ever lived. More people go to church here but no one has ever pushed their religion on me. Also, I belong to a nonfiction book discussion group as part of a retiree program I belong to at the community college. The college isn't open during holidays and breaks between semesters but my book group meets once a month all year long. One of the Lutheran churches lets us use their meeting room all year long. Two other churches (other religions) let the fiction and classic book groups use their meeting rooms. We don't pay them.

2. Even the scruffiest looking native male in Tennessee will hold the door open for me and they hold it open for you BEFORE they go through it themselves. You say "Thank you" and they say, "Yes ma'am." In fact, that's how you can tell the difference between a native and a transplant or visiting male. In NY or MD I was licky if they held the door at all but in MD, when they did, they usually went through first.

3. People will chat you up here about anything, anywhere. HUGE difference from NY. There could be a long line behind you but nobody cares. It's expected. The checkout people actually converse with you. Patients in the doctor's waiting room will talk to you about anything. My doctor spends a lot of time just talking to me. Mechanics, store clerks, local government people - everybody talks to you. Never happened anyplace else I've ever lived. It's so refreshing.

4. They ask you if you need help at my supermarket when you have a lot of groceries and will go to the car with you if you need help. I've never needed help but they ask anyway.

5. At a traffic light, they don't honk the second the light has changed. In fact, if you do hear some car honk, the first reaction is to look at the license plate to see if they are from out of state. Oh, by the way, the speed limit on the Interstate here is 70 AND there are no toll roads here like in NY and MD.

6. I went for a visit to NY in 2009. I got a slice of pizza (why else go to NY? ). The person behind the counter never even looked at me and when the slice was ready just flipped it down on the counter and said the price. I felt like I was on Mars. I went to the supermarket on that same trip. The checkout person never said two words to me except for the total cost then she took her sweet time packing my groceries once she finally figured out I wasn't about to do her job.

7. And now I'm going to tell you my favorite Tennessee story. I've told it before. The first time I took my car to a Subaru dealer for service a few towns away, besides the oil change and tire rotation I asked for new windshield wipers. That was on a Monday or Tuesday. On Thursday, I get a call from them. It's raining. They want to know how my new windshield wipers are working out for me. I almost fell off my chair. That would NEVER happen in NY or MD.

8. The South as a whole seems very interested in history, a lot more than anyplace else I've ever lived and I lived in Washington, DC. I've been to re-enactments/living history events for the French and Indian War, the Civil War, WWII, the crossing of the Cumberland Gap, etc. I've been to Appalachian events, blue grass and story telling events, etc. My town played a very big role in WWII but my county is also known for mining history, desegregation history, and as a model planned community by the TVA. The state is also deep in music history. Tennessee is divided by East, West and Middle. East Tennessee is bluegrass and gospel music (Appalachian influence), Middle Tennessee is country music (Nashville) and West Tennessee is rock and roll (Elvis, Sun Records), jazz and blues (Memphis - Beale Street). Music is a big part of history events.

9. This is the first place I ever lived where college sports are more popular than professional sports. That's just an observation. I have no opinion about it.

10. News wise, NY lives in a bubble. I never realized it until I moved out.

I was born in CA and lived in N.C. for about 8 years what you said is true.. but I live in CT now and every once in awhile (might drive to N.C. this year) visit my family.. I have to ask about the bold part because I still don't understand this.. Why is it ONLY NY'ers I see that blow the light as soon as it turns green? You can always tell it's a city person when they drive around the suburbs of CT because no one else I know does that.. Since I drive a large delivery truck in the same areas I know when the light is about to change.. Also I drive to work in the early morning hours (4AM) I can always tell a out of state person (most likely NY plates) they are doing like 90 MPH in the 3rd lane with no one in front or behind them.

Glad to see you had a great service experience at the Subaru dealership, I wish I could bring that style of life up north with the pay and get rid of all the attitudes people have here.

Another thing is it's funny and I've been here in CT now for 16 years and this STILL bothers me.. say you and another person are walking on a sidewalk, the person walking towards you will look down at the ground as they pass or they will just stare straight ahead.. very few people will smile or say anything, OR I hold a door open some may say something or nothing at all.

Anyways that's enough for now as I can go on and on about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2013, 07:01 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
3,077 posts, read 5,450,297 times
Reputation: 4323
As someone who grew up on a farm in the Midwest, compared to the life I've lived, the stereotypes that southerners have of the north are so ridiculously far off that I don't even know where to begin. But I also don't really get upset about it, because there is really no reason for a southerner to ever visit a place like my hometown. So they really have zero chance of getting it right anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Tampa
3,981 posts, read 9,429,647 times
Reputation: 1171
As someone that has been living in Floriduh for the past ten years, I can say that I am thinking more and more og heading up north.

There is more opportunity up there. Education is more valued. Art is more appreciated.

Winters suck though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 04:07 PM
 
6 posts, read 5,069 times
Reputation: 10
I really don't know why we need to many threads like this. =/


Leave southerners alone guys. Just because someone is different than you doesn
't mean it's bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2013, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,514 posts, read 9,056,969 times
Reputation: 5009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperEric View Post
I really don't know why we need to many threads like this. =/


Leave southerners alone guys. Just because someone is different than you doesn
't mean it's bad.
Sounds like someone was offended by the question of what "southerners think about the north". I really can't contemplate how that is offensive, unless you're just looking for trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top