U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:01 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,052,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Keep going further Northeast and the hustle and bustle starts to slow back down and then the further you go, the slower the pace. Northern Maine is WAY slower paced than even Southern Maine and a World of difference than Boston. It is hard to imagine it is the same Country as NYC. Fire up the Ol' Passport and make a trip up into New Brunswick and Quebec to see a real difference a couple miles across the border makes (while in New Brunswick you have to find a "Greco Pizza" and get a Doniar... one of the things I truly miss from that area.)
I do wonder how many similarities a small town in the south and a small town in the north may have. I'm sure it would be more than most people realize. However, there are still plenty of differences to be had as well, and I'm pretty sure southern towns are slower still than their northern counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 05:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I do wonder how many similarities a small town in the south and a small town in the north may have. I'm sure it would be more than most people realize. However, there are still plenty of differences to be had as well, and I'm pretty sure southern towns are slower still than their northern counterparts.
I think the differences would be big. They might be both "country" with a slow pace of life but there'd be big cultural differences. A friend from a small town in PA thought North Carolina was very different. Rural Maine is probably more similar to rural Canada than the rural southPublic Christian fundamentalism is one part (rural north may be religious, but it's treated differently):

Why Fundamentalism Often Works | The American Conservative

also by same author, see updates, on a big south vs north [or at least a certain part] difference:

What I Grew Up Not Talking About | The American Conservative

Old 10-07-2013, 05:16 PM

44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Quote:
Keep going further Northeast and the hustle and bustle starts to slow back down and then the further you go, the slower the pace. Northern Maine is WAY slower paced than even Southern Maine and a World of difference than Boston. It is hard to imagine it is the same Country as NYC. Fire up the Ol' Passport and make a trip up into New Brunswick and Quebec to see a real difference a couple miles across the border makes (while in New Brunswick you have to find a "Greco Pizza" and get a Doniar... one of the things I truly miss from that area.)
This trip is already on my bucket list!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:00 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,155,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
As you know, every town no matter the size has their own particular feel. I am still amazed at how different two small towns can be that are less than 10 miles apart. That being said, while there are plenty of similarities, far more than most (either North or South) would like to admit for some strange reason, they are a bit different. As for the pace of life there is not as large of difference as you might think. I have lived in small towns in Texas as well as Maine and Michigan, they all have about the same pace. Small towns right outside of large cities tend to be a bit more quicker paced as a lot of people work in the faster paced cities and have a hard time turning that aspect off in the evening. The further you get from a city (anything larger than 15,000 is a decent sized city to me) the slower life gets. I see no difference in the pace of life between a place like Kaufman, Texas; Caribou, Maine; or Ludington, Michigan. All about the same sized and all about the same pace. Go smaller and it slows down again. Roscoe, TX; Washburn, ME and Scottville, MI are all about the same size and about the same for pace of life. There is a difference in how the small towns feel, but the pace is about the same.

I picked those small towns because I have experience in every one of them in case anyone wonders. While I didn't live in Roscoe, my Brother and his wife did for a couple years, and I spent some time down there with them. They other ones I have lived in. North or South has very little to do with the pace of towns, but it does flavor the way they feel. Up North we don't sit around on each others porches with iced tea, it is either a beer or soda... or a hot chocolate if the weather is right. We don't complain as much about the heat, but sure can gripe about the cold. Both are about the same for conservative/liberal split. Churches are about the same for number and the number of followers, the difference is in the demoninations. North you get more Catholic & Reformed, in the South I saw more Baptist & Church of Christ, the Methodist and Lutheran seems about the same. The Northeast probably has the least percentage of people who claim to be active church members, with the Midwest and South about the same.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Quote:
Both are about the same for conservative/liberal split.
A majority of voters in the county Caribou voted from the Democratic candidate in the 2012 election. Is there any [white] rural area in the south that would be even remotely close to that?

Old 10-07-2013, 08:29 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,052,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
A majority of voters in the county Caribou voted from the Democratic candidate in the 2012 election. Is there any [white] rural area in the south that would be even remotely close to that?
I think that's the difference in small town New England vs small towns in the deep south. In the south, unfortunately, most votes are along racial lines in small towns. The blacks will vote democrat, the whites will vote republican. In New England, where there are very few blacks to begin with, the small town people will often be more liberal and inclined to go 3rd party or democratic.

One thing that is constant in every region though is that big cities are usually democratic strongholds, even in the south. Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Atlanta, New Orelans, etc.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Caribou is in Aroostook County and you are right, they do tend to lean a bit more liberal in politics than the other areas I mentioned. They have gotten more so over the past few years and I keep forgetting that. Good catch.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This trip is already on my bucket list!
If you do get up that direction into Canada, you have to go all the way to the Gaspe Peninsula. If you go all the way to the top of Maine, you really should either go up on some of the roads through the North Maine Woods or return on some of them. Nothing like it anywhere else in the Northeast and there are some absolutely beautiful areas there. Logging equipment has right-of-way 100% of the time and make sure you have a spare and know how to change a tire. Some of the roads can be a bit rough on tires... especially after a rain when the crushed ledge (slate) it is made of is wet, it tends to slice through a tire tread easily.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:43 PM

12,333 posts, read 10,303,665 times
Quote:
I think the differences would be big. They might be both "country" with a slow pace of life but there'd be big cultural differences. A friend from a small town in PA thought North Carolina was very different. Rural Maine is probably more similar to rural Canada than the rural southPublic Christian fundamentalism is one part (rural north may be religious, but it's treated differently):

Why Fundamentalism Often Works | The American Conservative

also by same author, see updates, on a big south vs north [or at least a certain part] difference:

What I Grew Up Not Talking About | The American Conservative

Totally agree. I have a very good friend here in Philly that grew up on a beef farm outside Cortland, NY. I've stayed on the farm and met the other farmers from around there. Not one of those farmers was religious at all or even Republican. Most were very moderate to almost liberal politically. They all had done all kinds of things on their farms working with their state environmental department to mitigate dirty cow manure runoff from their pasture areas, etc. I doubt you would see much of that among white southerners.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:46 PM

12,333 posts, read 10,303,665 times
Quote:

Lol. Look no further than LBJ and the Civil Rights Act. Their states are under one party rule, Republican. The black population down south is totally different. Much more like the black population up north in terms of politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or