U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2013, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,651 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Reputation: 63192

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I've actually never met Southerners who mention the Civil War, but they do talk about College Football a lot.
Go, Dawgs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2013, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,651 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Reputation: 63192
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Funny that this distrust and hatred of the Fed Govt began in the late 50's and early 60's with the Civil Rights movement. There are many well written books by historians, plus backed by historical fact, that the South was hugely behind FDR and The New Deal. They were all for all those programs building dams, roads, rural electrification, TVA, etc. etc. They loved FDR including Strom Thurmond. It was only when the Fed Govt integrated the Army and started down the road of equal rights for African Americans that this hatred and distrust flourished anew after it had well subsided after the Civil War. It is a well known fact the classrooms throughout the South erupted into cheers upon hearing the news in their school classroom that Kennedy had been killed. How disgusting, and how so deeply patriotic of them.



Just one of many, many anecdotal stories from people living in the South at the time:

JFK and the Ku Klux Klan - JFK Assassination Debate - The Education Forum


'Terri Williams', on 08 Dec 2012 - 3:06 PM, said:
I'm not sure where my information fits in but I thought I would mention what I experienced on November 22, 1963. at the time I was in the sixth grade and only ten years old.


On that date I was living in my hometown, Terry, south of Jackson, in Mississippi. It was just after lunch when I heard the principal of our school going from door to door making an announcement. Although I could not hear what he was saying, a loud cheer came from each classroom in response.
So I was expecting good news when the principal of our school, a card carrying member of the KKK, stuck his red neck in the door and said, "The president's has been shot", to which every student, but me, jumped up and cheered.


How absolutely disgusting and typical of the hateful mindset among many Southerners at the time. And you wonder why we in the North sometimes feel the way we do.






Oh please. The distrust of the Federal government came along with the Civil War and Reconstruction, though of course the two world wars after that did a lot to build confidence and a sense of unity. The South backed FDR because he was a wartime president, not because they suddenly loved the federal government.

Since we're talking about personal anecdotes:

My entire family is Southern and our southern roots go back to the early 1700s. I never once heard any of my very southern relatives express anything other than shock and dismay and sorrow over the assassination of JFK. I HAVE heard stories about where they were that day, what happened, what the reactions around them were, and without exception, they all have stated that people burst into tears, stopped what they were doing and rushed home, gathered their families around them, went to church to pray, etc (much as people did after 9-11 - in fact, my family and friends who were alive and recall the JFK shooting have without exception compared it to 9-11).

I don't wonder why a few people in the North such as yourself have such blinding hatred and animosity for the South - some people are incredibly gullible and come to the table with a prejudicial mindset, and can't see the irony of their position at all. Sad, really.

But Tom - please stay on topic. The topic isn't what YOU as a northerner think of the south, and there's really no need for further clarification since this is a running diatribe with you anyway. This thread is about what SOUTHERNERS think of the NORTHERN states. You're not a southerner so I don't guess you can really answer that question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,330 posts, read 10,298,159 times
Reputation: 5389
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh please. The distrust of the Federal government came along with the Civil War and Reconstruction, though of course the two world wars after that did a lot to build confidence and a sense of unity. The South backed FDR because he was a wartime president, not because they suddenly loved the federal government.

Since we're talking about personal anecdotes:

My entire family is Southern and our southern roots go back to the early 1700s. I never once heard any of my very southern relatives express anything other than shock and dismay and sorrow over the assassination of JFK. I HAVE heard stories about where they were that day, what happened, what the reactions around them were, and without exception, they all have stated that people burst into tears, stopped what they were doing and rushed home, gathered their families around them, went to church to pray, etc (much as people did after 9-11 - in fact, my family and friends who were alive and recall the JFK shooting have without exception compared it to 9-11).

I don't wonder why a few people in the North such as yourself have such blinding hatred and animosity for the South - some people are incredibly gullible and come to the table with a prejudicial mindset, and can't see the irony of their position at all. Sad, really.

But Tom - please stay on topic. The topic isn't what YOU as a northerner think of the south, and there's really no need for further clarification since this is a running diatribe with you anyway. This thread is about what SOUTHERNERS think of the NORTHERN states. You're not a southerner so I don't guess you can really answer that question.
Wrong. Fyi they loved him long before WWII. He was President from 1933. WWII didn't start until 1941. And one other thing, there is no USA without the Fed Govt. They are one and the same thing. Without the Fed Govt there is no nation, no country. I just don't get the disconnect Southerners try to pull off when separating out the USA from the Fed Govt. The Fed Govt is the US Constitution. Somehow you people think this country exists as some weird entity without the Fed Govt. It doesn't and it never did nor will it ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 04:13 AM
 
112 posts, read 126,348 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Wrong. Fyi they loved him long before WWII. He was President from 1933. WWII didn't start until 1941. And one other thing, there is no USA without the Fed Govt. They are one and the same thing. Without the Fed Govt there is no nation, no country. I just don't get the disconnect Southerners try to pull off when separating out the USA from the Fed Govt. The Fed Govt is the US Constitution. Somehow you people think this country exists as some weird entity without the Fed Govt. It doesn't and it never did nor will it ever.
Sorry Tom.......Germany invaded Poland on September 1 and on September 3, 1939 France and Britain declared war on Germany.

However, despite the fact that the Allies did not declare war on Japan until December 1941, Japanese aggression included the occupation of Manchuria as early as 1931, and open war with China between 1937 and 1945. Their plans to control the western Pacific prompted their attack on the US fleet at Pearl Harbour as I'm sure you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 06:29 AM
 
3,145 posts, read 3,131,055 times
Reputation: 1400
The distrust of the Fed gov and the distaste for a for a larger Fed gov is typically about States rights and local control vs national control. States rights has been an issue for the South since....

In a way this is one of the stereotypes we love so much about our Northern countrymen. The idea that they are somehow smarter and want to 'school' the Southerners on the 'correct' history and 'how they should feel'. It's that idea of liberal elitism that we know better than you what's right and good for you. Of course there's always an exception to every rule.. but with every stereotype there's some truth at its core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Brew City
4,213 posts, read 2,501,359 times
Reputation: 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Mississippi is NOT the leader in timber exports. I'm not sure where you got that idea. They're not even close.
My sincerest apologies. Turns out Plum Creek pumps timber out of Mississippi. Looks like this northener learned something new about the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,651 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Reputation: 63192
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Wrong. Fyi they loved him long before WWII. He was President from 1933. WWII didn't start until 1941. And one other thing, there is no USA without the Fed Govt. They are one and the same thing. Without the Fed Govt there is no nation, no country. I just don't get the disconnect Southerners try to pull off when separating out the USA from the Fed Govt. The Fed Govt is the US Constitution. Somehow you people think this country exists as some weird entity without the Fed Govt. It doesn't and it never did nor will it ever.
Give me a break. Who are "you people?" Southerners are as varied as any other group, including northerners. But since we're speaking in generalities, I'll just say that the vast majority of southerners that I know simply are skeptical of BIG government - fraud, waste, intrusion, etc. Of course they realize that we have to have a federal government and that it's an integral part of our system.

By the way, Southerners are often very patriotic and very demonstrative about their patriotism. I think that patriotism makes it pretty obvious that they support the UNITED states of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,651 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Reputation: 63192
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
The distrust of the Fed gov and the distaste for a for a larger Fed gov is typically about States rights and local control vs national control. States rights has been an issue for the South since....

In a way this is one of the stereotypes we love so much about our Northern countrymen. The idea that they are somehow smarter and want to 'school' the Southerners on the 'correct' history and 'how they should feel'. It's that idea of liberal elitism that we know better than you what's right and good for you. Of course there's always an exception to every rule.. but with every stereotype there's some truth at its core.
BAM. You nailed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,651 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Reputation: 63192
By the way, Tom, I suspect that the reason you have so much trouble (to hear you talk) with Southerners probably has a lot to do with your (if we're LUCKY) thinly veiled disdain and prejudice toward the people and the region itself. You may think you're good at disguising it...but Archie Bunker thinks he's socially appropriate too.

Deep seated prejudices are often very hard to hide. I've lived in the South most of my life and I can't recall EVER bringing up the topic of the Civil War with someone from the North. I don't know where you're getting this idea that Southerners in general are obsessed with the topic of the Civil War -my gosh, talk about ancient history. I literally can't recall the last time I even had a real life conversation with anyone about the Civil War, though I did recently have a conversation with someone about the battle of Goliad in Texas.

That being said, it's probably discussed as much as, say, the Tudor miniseries, or the Revolutionary War, or Hurricane Katrina...but not as much as Roll Tide football or Drew Brees - not by a long shot! In other words, if the topic is history or ancestry or something pertinent, the topic may come up, but in general conversation...nyahhhhh...sorry, I'm just not buying it.

Now if YOU'RE bringing it up, via your own attitude or veiled remarks, or whatever...well, that's a whole other story, and in fact it's the scenario I suspect is going down.

So....to stay on topic (which is "What do Southerners think of the Northern United States?" - not "What does Tom77falcons think of Southerners?"), I'd say that most southerners I know feel patriotic toward the ENTIRE United States. Many have traveled extensively, including to the northern US and Canada, and especially enjoy traveling to New England for the fall colors, or to Amish country in PA. Do they want to LIVE there? Apparently not...typically due to weather, distance from family and community, and economic reasons (we typically really enjoy a lower cost of living "down here!"). But that doesn't mean there's animosity - certainly not the sort that YOU display consistently. Wow, pot - meet kettle.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-10-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,330 posts, read 10,298,159 times
Reputation: 5389
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. DarcyJones View Post
Sorry Tom.......Germany invaded Poland on September 1 and on September 3, 1939 France and Britain declared war on Germany.

However, despite the fact that the Allies did not declare war on Japan until December 1941, Japanese aggression included the occupation of Manchuria as early as 1931, and open war with China between 1937 and 1945. Their plans to control the western Pacific prompted their attack on the US fleet at Pearl Harbour as I'm sure you know.

I know exactly when WWII started. The US entry was Dec 7th, and I answered in the context of some dubious claim that the South only liked FDR cause of the war. I should have stated that but my mistake. And of course that poster completely ignored all the 1930's FDR was president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top