Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:04 PM

175 posts, read 255,116 times

Advertisements

War said it best: The World Is A Ghetto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 05:52 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually DC is kind of old news in that department. All of the NW and SW quadrants as well as most of the NE and a good chunk of SE have been gentrified over the past 15-20 years thanks to the demand for housing. Many areas that were fairly uninhabitable for most have housing stock now running 300K-350K and higher. Cases in point...neighborhoods such as Shaw, Potomac Yards and Bloomingdale.
and ALOT of crime still happens.
DC is very block by block in NW and SW as well, there are sections of NW and SW that are very sketchy and has a lot of violent crime and drug activity. NE, SE, and PG county have large swaths of ghetto areas.

Here goes a murder map of the DC area:

Murders in the Mid-Atlantic, 2013

and don't let me get started on robberies and assaults.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:02 AM

26,868 posts, read 43,348,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
DC is very block by block in NW and SW as well, there are sections of NW and SW that are very sketchy and has a lot of violent crime and drug activity. NE, SE, and PG county have large swaths of ghetto areas.

If one looks at the map, 22 murders occurred in the western 2/3 of the city (west of N. Capitol Street). Another 12 in the eastern edge west of the Anacostia, 12 in the highrise projects and another 45 or so in the concentrated area east of the Anacostia and west of the District line. Like any big city there are pockets of crime, and it illustrates no differently than any other city the areas most of us would choose to live in are fairly safe and the areas we would not choose to live in aren't. Worth noting given my familiarity with DC having lived there for nearly 10 years that those areas most would choose to live in (west of 14th Street or Capitol Hill) had a total of 8 homicides among roughly 50% of the city population of 630K. Those are actually pretty safe numbers when one does the per capita numbers.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:21 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,302,917 times
Atlanta and Philadelphia. It's all about where you hang out in the city though. If I spent all my time in Buckhead or center city I doubt I would find either city to be ghetto. I love both cities despite the ghetto-ness though. Two of my favorite cities.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:25 AM

135 posts, read 278,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Stockton, CA, Baltimore, Detroit, East St Louis come to mind.
East St Louis (pop: 27,000) isn't a major US city, though.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:33 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,526,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Atlanta and Philadelphia. It's all about where you hang out in the city though. If I spent all my time in Buckhead or center city I doubt I would find either city to be ghetto. I love both cities despite the ghetto-ness though. Two of my favorite cities.
Atlanta isn't close to being the "most ghetto-ish" cities.

People are just naming any city with some rough-ish Black neighborhoods. SMH...

Old 10-03-2013, 03:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,791,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
The OP asked a question what we think to be the most ghetto cities. Just because someone mention a city you don't agree about does not mean it's not true in their eyes. Someone just said Chicago. I don't agree but thats his opinion. Im not calling him ignorant because of it. I think Memphis is pretty ghetto.
But being "true" in your eyes does not make it true!

Someone who calls Atlanta "most ghetto" obviously doesn't know anything about Atlanta. It's simply not true.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:16 PM

27,274 posts, read 28,346,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post

You rarely see homicide or violent crime statistics in D.C. that mention the socio-economic level of the criminal. I wonder why.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:59 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,141,841 times
Baltimore, Detroit, and Philadelphia. Not Surprisingly, most football fans in these cities seem to be rude and trashy thugs.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:03 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,375,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
But being "true" in your eyes does not make it true!

Someone who calls Atlanta "most ghetto" obviously doesn't know anything about Atlanta. It's simply not true.
Did I say the that? It's an opinion..

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.