U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your city get a true Fall season?
Yes, my city does get a true Fall season. 64 76.19%
No, my city does not get a true Fall season. 20 23.81%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:26 AM

603 posts, read 712,493 times

Advertisements

It's a No here in Seattle. Very few trees change color and those that do are not native to the region, they've been planted here and there in the suburbs.

I used to live in Michigan and fall was exceptionally-beautiful. I don't think any region comes close to New England though. I'd love to spend 1 week there exploring the fall destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 07:53 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,468,425 times
Yes, my favorite time of year

Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 AM

628 posts, read 581,294 times
Hardly get fall colours here in London.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,055,055 times
Asheville, NC has glorious falls with full color range red, yellow, orange, brown and green pines. Especially along the Blue Ridge Parkway (road is open) with fantastic views!

Old 11-11-2013, 05:18 PM

32,314 posts, read 33,213,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007jamesbond View Post
In your city, do you experience a true fall season?
Yes, the fall in NYC is one of the best times to be in NYC. (The other time is in the spring.)

Old 11-12-2013, 05:08 AM

780 posts, read 856,015 times
Yes we get fall in the DC area, but I don't like how the media makes late fall blend in with early winter that gives you the feeling that the two seasons sort of "share an apartment", with the lease eventually favoring winter, mostly ignoring Thanksgiving (Wal-Mart's Thanksgiving section of greeting cards is outnumbered by Christmas by like a 6 to 1 ratio). Why decorate winter-related things when there are still some leaves on the trees and there is no snow yet? In our area, most of the snow falls after the holiday season. This year is a good example. Most of mid/late September, while not exactly cool and crisp during the day, was refrishingly mild and a nice change of pace from the heat of summer, even if it wasn't as hot this year. DC isn't getting its first "hint of winter" until today, meaning that the peak of fall (Oct/early Nov) was enjoyed without any hint of winter, and just a small reminder of the past summer at the start of October, and it wasn't until this weekend when our area went past peak with the foliage. To me fall isn't "over" until either the first accumulating snow or when 99% of the leaves are off the trees plus the grass turns from green to tan, no matter what corporations and chambers of commerce say.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:13 PM

2,972 posts, read 4,370,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
It's a No here in Seattle. Very few trees change color and those that do are not native to the region, they've been planted here and there in the suburbs.

I used to live in Michigan and fall was exceptionally-beautiful. I don't think any region comes close to New England though. I'd love to spend 1 week there exploring the fall destinations.
Fall in Seattle looks very nice.

Seattle~volution Part 2: Neighborhoods, bridges, ferries, and fog - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 11-12-2013, 07:20 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,531,523 times
Not really. We get some leaves changing, but it's nothing like you would find in places up north.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:00 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,553,337 times
Western Montana in general has an incredible fall foliage that, if I'm not mistaken, hits its peak from about October 1st through October 15th. Late September through early November is my favorite time of year around here--to me, the climate can feel pleasantly similar to that of the coastal PNW during, say, mid-late August for a good chunk of that period.

But do I get to experience a true fall season? Aesthetically, yes, but it just doesn't stay in the air for as long as I'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.