U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 03:59 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,047,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy771 View Post
Cincinnati
Really? Well the Reds are far far older. But we talking Ohio here which is a football state. I guess I can see that a little though. Cleveland is most definitely a Browns town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 04:00 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
And Los Angeles is so rabid about football, two NFL teams left in the same month. Since then, there has been little popular groundswell for its return, while the Angels draw three million fans despite finishing 16 game under 500.

I think the NFL can and eventually will succeed here. But until then, the LA market drew 6,750,000 paying MLB customers, which is 1.5 and 2.4 million more than the respective combined counts of NY and CHI. That by itself is eye-popping.

Anecdotal evidence aside, the NFL number remains 0. Unless you were to look at TV ratings only (which would also show the NFL eating MLB's lunch in every market by a huge margin), there's really no other evidence to go on.
They were 78-84 but I see your point. Average team this year but still had great support.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:20 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,263,451 times
The Bay Area has two of each. San Francisco leans toward being a baseball town, even though it has one of the elite NFL franchises in the history of the game. Oakland supports the Raiders more consistently, despite the A's longer, more storied history and recent reemergence as contenders. An A's-Dodgers World Series might turn that around for good, though.

In the neighborhoods of San Francisco, NFL is king. Saturdays and Sundays, there are 6-7 good sports bars along my street that throw their doors and windows open and I can walk down the street taking in all the ambiance, and pick which featured game (the one with sound in any particular bar) has the best vibe. One place nearby usually even features the Texans. Visiting fans can be seen in their gear all along the tourist areas most weekends in fall. Who wouldn't want to go to The Bay Area for a weekend to watch their team take on Cal, Stanford, the Niners or Raiders? Locals feed off this energy, too. Sports bars are packed at 10:00 am.

In the Financial District and South of Market, though, it's predictably all Giants. Pubs and sports bars all have the games on. Practically all of Downtown SF shuts down for Opening Day and big match ups for day games on Wednesdays (Dodgers, Red Sox, A's, Cubs, Cards). Since there is relatively little parking and the Giants draw well from outside the City, many do the last 1-2 miles to the ballpark on foot. This makes The Embarcadero and most of the China Basin area like a street festival on game day. It's a lot of fun. I walk to games from my office in the Financial District. On Orange Fridays, the streets are packed with office workers in Giants gear.

The Niners new stadium in Santa Clara will help the cause for this becoming a football town again. There will actually be a bit better access for the City than at the 'Stick, which is very hard to get to and has gotten thuggish in recent years. Caltrain and VTA light rail will likely be the preferred route to the new park many City dwellers, just as it is for Giants fans in the Valley and San Jose now. Football games are events. Fans are okay with long distances to games, as long as travel is convenient. At the 'Stick, it takes an hour to get there on a jam-packed Muni shuttle that crawls through traffic. It sucks. Boarding a nice commuter rail line with drinks for a San Francisco "railgate party" on the way to the game seems like a much better deal.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:26 AM

28,258 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Most popular sports/teams by state.

Most Popular Sports/Teams by state - CBSSports.com

Alabama (College Football/Braves)
Alaska (NFL/Lakers)
Arizona (MLB/Diamondbacks)
Arkansas (College Football/Cardinals
California (NFL/Lakers)
Colorado (NFL/Broncos)
Connecticut (NFL/Yankees)
Delaware (NFL/Eagles)
Florida (NFL/Dolphins)
Georgia (College Football/Braves)
Hawaii (NFL/Lakers)
Idaho (NFL/Mariners)
Illinois (NFL/Bears)
Indiana (NFL/Pacers)
Iowa (MLB/Cubs)
Kansas (NFL/Chiefs)
Kentucky (College Basketball/Reds)
Louisiana (NFL/Saints)
Maine (MLB/Red Sox)
Maryland (NFL/Ravens)
Massachusetts (MLB/Red Sox)
Michigan (NFL/Red Wings)
Minnesota (NFL/Vikings
Mississippi (College Football/Braves)
Missouri (NFL/Cardinals)
Montana (NFL/Broncos)
Nebraska (College Football/Cubs)
Nevada (NFL/Lakers)
New Hampshire (MLB/Red Sox)
New Jersey (NFL/Yankees)
New Mexico (NFL/Cowboys)
New York (MLB/Yankees)
North Carolina (College Basketball/Braves)
North Dakota (NFL/Vikings)
Ohio (NFL/Browns)
Oklahoma (College Football/Cowboys)
Oregon (NFL/Trail Blazers)
Pennsylvania (NFL/Steelers)
Rhode Island (NFL/Red Sox)
South Carolina (College Football/Braves)
South Dakota (NFL/Vikings)
Tennessee (College Football/Titans)
Texas (NFL/Cowboys)
Utah (NBA/Jazz)
Vermont (MLB/Red Sox)
Virginia (NFL/Redskins)
Washington (MLB/Mariners)
West Virginia (NFL/Steelers)
Wisconsin (NFL/Packers)
Wyoming (NFL/Broncos)

Old 10-01-2013, 09:34 AM

12,333 posts, read 10,300,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Football is more Baseball in most of the US. But there are some cities where Baseball is still the most popular sport.

The most obvious one I can think of is St Louis. Even when the Rams were great in the early 2000's. The Cardinals were still the most popular team in St Louis. And I can guess Baseball is about even or slightly more popular than Football in Chicago. With the Cubs being the most followed team in Chicago.

Are there any other North American city where Baseball is more popular than Football.

I know this isn't a sports thread, but can someone explain how St. Louis seems to constantly be in the running to win (baseball). How do they find all this talent? Do they have the best farm system in baseball?

Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,697,929 times
It's a tought one in L.A. Football is definitely huge here. UCLA and USC draw huge crowds but the Dodgers have always been one of the best teams in baseball for attendance, even during bad seasons. I would say it's a tie for the most part. Once the NFL returns though that will certainly take over the town, especially if the stadium is in the heart of LA like Farmers Field.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:34 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,697,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
And Los Angeles is so rabid about football, two NFL teams left in the same month. Since then, there has been little popular groundswell for its return, while the Angels draw three million fans despite finishing 16 game under 500.

I think the NFL can and eventually will succeed here. But until then, the LA market drew 6,750,000 paying MLB customers, which is 1.5 and 2.4 million more than the respective combined counts of NY and CHI. That by itself is eye-popping.

Anecdotal evidence aside, the NFL number remains 0. Unless you were to look at TV ratings only (which would also show the NFL eating MLB's lunch in every market by a huge margin), there's really no other evidence to go on.
Los Angeles is rabid about football, but we aren't so rabid that we'll put up tax payer dollars for any team. We won't even do it for the Dodgers or Lakers should they ask the city for new venues. That's the only reason the NFL left back then, had nothing to do with the fans.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:35 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,462,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
It's a tought one in L.A. Football is definitely huge here. UCLA and USC draw huge crowds but the Dodgers have always been one of the best teams in baseball for attendance, even during bad seasons. I would say it's a tie for the most part. Once the NFL returns though that will certainly take over the town, especially if the stadium is in the heart of LA like Farmers Field.
Based on the past postings, can we all agree that the Lakers have the most popularity of all the teams in the L.A. market?

Old 10-01-2013, 04:19 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,482,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Los Angeles is rabid about football, but we aren't so rabid that we'll put up tax payer dollars for any team. We won't even do it for the Dodgers or Lakers should they ask the city for new venues. That's the only reason the NFL left back then, had nothing to do with the fans.
I'm fully aware of that. The difference is other cities DO fork out tax dollars to keep their billionaires happy, while LA leads every single one of those cities in people actually paying money to attend MLB games. In answering this question, you simply can't gloss over those realities by counting how many fat ****s in ugly jerseys waste their Sundays at the local sports bar.

My esteem of NFL fan aside, even I'm not I not certain baseball is more popular than football in Los Angeles. But if description is accurate of any mid-to-large city, LA has to the best candidate.

Last edited by nslander; 10-01-2013 at 04:27 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 08:00 PM

309 posts, read 596,702 times
Cincinnati
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or