U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:10 PM

8,068 posts, read 16,116,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
It seems like there's definitely an age divide in New England. You can't argue with the fact according to Felger and Mazz, I'm not sure where to find the ratings, in 2013 in the middle of a Red Sox pennant race, Patriots preseason games were tripling Red Sox ratings locally. New England's number 1 sport is football even when Brady leaves.
Keep in mind, Felger and Mazz work for the "Home of the Patriots" and their primary competitor, WEEI, is the home of the Red Sox and owned by the Red Sox. I listen every afternoon, but you have to see through the drivel. The spend a lot of time knocking the Red Sox for that reason.

2013 is also an oddball. It was unlike 2004 or 2007 where the Sox went into the season as top contenders and played at that level all year long. The 2013 Sox were a team that exceeded all expectations. Even the diehards expected them to drop off. Especially considering the collapse in 2011 and the flop that was 2012. I'm first and foremost a Red Sox fan (in my 20s, by the way), and I didn't get fully invested into the team until about a week before the playoffs started. Honestly, I was afraid to because I thought the team was a bunch of overachievers and given the previous two seasons, I waited for the epic collapse. It never came.

In August of 2013, most people still weren't sold on the Sox while the Patriots were going into a season that many predicted to end in another Super Bowl title (unfortunately, we had to wait another year for that). The beginning of a promising season vs. a skeptical fanbase waiting for over performing team to fall off will make for a once-a-week preseason football game out-rating nightly MLB games. By the time September rolled around, ratings were back to normal and the Sox broke ratings records during their World Series run. This is a baseball town. Football viewership is different and one of 20 (regular season and preseason) games will rate higher than each of the 182 MLB games, but the fanbase here is baseball first and foremost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 01:34 PM

1,593 posts, read 839,457 times
They just polled 14,000 people from New England and asked their favorite team
45% Patriots
24% Red Sox

Fans show love for Don Orsillo, Tom Brady | Boston Herald

Old 09-02-2015, 01:36 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,410,756 times
^ Just what I expected. Higher than average baseball hysteria (double the national average!) in an MLB hotspot like Boston, but still half of the NFL fan level.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:07 PM

27 posts, read 46,402 times
Quote:
45% Patriots
24% Red Sox

Well I think this should settle all the arguments about New England. The gap will only become wider in the future generations, they're already talking shortening baseball's game length, it just not attracting the youths like football does.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:38 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,236,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Football is about 4 times more popular than baseball in this country. There are definitely towns with strong connections to their baseball teams, including Boston and STL and NYC and LA and so on, but even in those cities, regardless of what anyone here wishes to believe, the NFL is still king. Just look at local ratings - not even close. Or merch. Or tweets. Or any way you want to measure this. Until someone brings in actual stats that show MLB bigger than the NFL in any metro area, there's no argument here. And even if that were to happen, you would have to add in college football, the #3 sport in America. It's a very wide gap, and not even a competition in the greatest baseball cities in the US.
I'd have to dig up the article, but I recall reading an article that talked about the St. Louis' Rams possible move to LA, and it had stats showing that St. Louis' support for its pro teams went Cardinals > Rams> Blues. I was frankly surprised the Rams were still ahead of the Blues considering they've been terrible for so long, and since Kroenke is hanging St. Louis out to dry.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:53 PM

27 posts, read 46,402 times
For Chicago, it seems like the Bulls are the favorite, follow by the Bears, the 2 MLB teams are at the bottom.
Bulls Are City's Most-Liked Team, at Least According to Facebook - Near West Side - DNAinfo.com Chicago

Old 09-03-2015, 08:16 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,410,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew6 View Post
For Chicago, it seems like the Bulls are the favorite, follow by the Bears, the 2 MLB teams are at the bottom.
Bulls Are City's Most-Liked Team, at Least According to Facebook - Near West Side - DNAinfo.com Chicago
Let's just agree that facebook "likes," for many reasons, are not an accurate way to judge this sort of thing. Some teams have had pages longer than others; some court "likes" with incentives or advertising; some are simply better, or more active, or more controversial, or maybe NBA fans are more likely to be on Facebook/more active on Facebook? Needs a general poll. I know Chicago pretty well, and while the Cubs and Bulls are city fixtures, Da Bears rule the roost by a good bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I'd have to dig up the article, but I recall reading an article that talked about the St. Louis' Rams possible move to LA, and it had stats showing that St. Louis' support for its pro teams went Cardinals > Rams> Blues. I was frankly surprised the Rams were still ahead of the Blues considering they've been terrible for so long, and since Kroenke is hanging St. Louis out to dry.
Would love to see that - I still feel STL is probably the closest answer, though I'm reconsidering LA, but more due to the popularity of futball than the popularity of MLB.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:22 AM

4,973 posts, read 1,857,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew6 View Post
Well I think this should settle all the arguments about New England. The gap will only become wider in the future generations, they're already talking shortening baseball's game length, it just not attracting the youths like football does.

Believe what you want. I suspect that you are fairly young and never seen a bad Patriots era. I think the argument is hardly settled. The Red Sox will always be popular. The Pats are popular as long as they keep winning. My guess is that things will be different once the QB and coach are gone. It wasn't too long ago (late 80's/early 90's) that nearly all Patriot home games were blacked out because they couldn't sell them out. Enjoy the good times while they last.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:27 AM

8,068 posts, read 16,116,183 times
Quote:
45% Patriots
24% Red Sox

Again, I'm not surprised. The Pats are coming off a Super Bowl win and Brady is all over the news. In the meantime, the Sox have finished last place two years in a row.

If the Sox win a World Series when the Patriots are wrapping up consecutive last place finishes, the results will look different.

Although I will say that today, Pats fans are on cloud 9.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:09 PM

1,593 posts, read 839,457 times
The poll's only been going on 4 or 5 year, but that included a World Series for the Red Sox and the Patriots have never been below 42%. The Red Sox have dropped every year which started before and included the 2013 World Series.

Lacrosse is growing by leaps and bounds in New England while baseball participation is shrinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or