U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:08 PM

18,658 posts, read 27,108,274 times

Advertisements

This thread is sad though. Baseball is a great sport. But they do nothing in terms of marketing and more. I honestly think MLB needs fresh blood and Selig has to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 03:17 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,233,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Would love to see that - I still feel STL is probably the closest answer, though I'm reconsidering LA, but more due to the popularity of futball than the popularity of MLB.
I found it. It came from the study the NFL had commissioned on the St. Louis, San Diego, and Oakland. When they looked at St. Louis, the Cardinals were rated as being the most important team in town and the Rams the second.
NFL study indicates St. Louis fans will support a new stadium : News

It makes sense when you look at social media as well. The Cardinals have 695k followers on twitter, and and 2,297,892 likes on Facebook. The Rams, meanwhile, have 277k twitter followers, and 640,066 likes on Facebook. The Cardinals franchise has also been valued at $1.4 billion, whereas the Rams have been valued at $930 million.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:57 PM

124 posts, read 102,374 times
I think the Yankees might be the most expensive team in the world that's not Manchester United or one or both of Real Madrid and Barcelona. (yes soccer, I know, but they have like hundreds of millions of fans, some dirt poor (like Africans) but that's still kind of cheating as there's only 300 million people in the US) It'd cost like $3 billion to buy them (If they'd sell, and the buyer doesn't pay more than they're worth). I think soccer is boring, too. Much more boring than baseball, the best sport.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:15 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,406,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I found it. It came from the study the NFL had commissioned on the St. Louis, San Diego, and Oakland. When they looked at St. Louis, the Cardinals were rated as being the most important team in town and the Rams the second.
NFL study indicates St. Louis fans will support a new stadium : News

It makes sense when you look at social media as well. The Cardinals have 695k followers on twitter, and and 2,297,892 likes on Facebook. The Rams, meanwhile, have 277k twitter followers, and 640,066 likes on Facebook. The Cardinals franchise has also been valued at $1.4 billion, whereas the Rams have been valued at $930 million.
Still doesn't show that "baseball (is) more popular than football in" the STL area, looking back at the OP. People may support the NFL, but not the local team, since they're no good and the baseball team is great. I'll bet the Cards are 90%+ the favorite baseball team for residents, but the Rams are probably much, much lower a percentage. There is also college football, which as you can see above is the #3 sport in American, and nearly as popular as baseball. Football is so much more popular in this country, with half indicating it's their favorite sport and baseball around 1/4 of that popularity, that I would be skeptical unless presented with very specific and well-researched information showing otherwise.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:18 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,928,874 times
Not many of them left, St. Louis and Cincinnati but the Reds are in Ohio which is a huge college football state. St. Louis is probably the best example. NYC and Boston are good examples as well.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:10 PM

992 posts, read 943,135 times
St. Louis wins this thread

Old 09-05-2015, 12:50 AM

23,685 posts, read 17,651,107 times
St. Louis is probably a sure bet.

I think you could also make strong arguments for Chicago and LA now. Chicago has two MLB teams to one NFL. I'd argue the Cubs have a more national following than the Bears, and the White Sox generate enough interest to probably put baseball over the top. There really aren't in college football teams of interest in Chicagoland.

LA has no NFL team, but has a quality baseball in the Dodgers. USC and UCLA have not had strong football programs over the last few years.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:52 AM

18,658 posts, read 27,108,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
St. Louis is probably a sure bet.

I think you could also make strong arguments for Chicago and LA now. Chicago has two MLB teams to one NFL. I'd argue the Cubs have a more national following than the Bears, and the White Sox generate enough interest to probably put baseball over the top. There really aren't in college football teams of interest in Chicagoland.

LA has no NFL team, but has a quality baseball in the Dodgers. USC and UCLA have not had strong football programs over the last few years.
The Cubs may have more of a national following. But the Bears are the most popular team in Chicagoland and really, it's not close.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:28 AM

15,551 posts, read 17,783,363 times
NFL and all other levels of Football are going to become less popular when lawsuits and liability concerns turn it into Flag Football.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:09 AM

5,970 posts, read 7,337,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew6 View Post
For Chicago, it seems like the Bulls are the favorite, follow by the Bears, the 2 MLB teams are at the bottom.
Bulls Are City's Most-Liked Team, at Least According to Facebook - Near West Side - DNAinfo.com Chicago
I thought it would have been the Blackhawks with everything they've done the past 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or