U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-17-2007, 07:14 PM

237 posts, read 783,880 times

Advertisements

The attached article talks about a man who commutes 186 miles each way to work. Any other similar horror stories?

Cisco engineer gets prize for longest commute - Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal: (http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2006/04/10/daily41.html - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 PM

25,291 posts, read 33,010,189 times
When I was living in Northern Sacramento(what a glorious house that was-sighs), I commuted thrice weekly to downtown San Francisco....120 miles SE. Horrible bottlenecks at various spots that amounted to about 80 miles of horrid traffic each way. Usually it took about 2.5-3 hrs each way. Bad days were much worse.

After a while, I got numb and felt like I was going crazy so I decided to telecommute and eventually moved back to The Bay Area.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:39 PM

122 posts, read 225,598 times
I used to manage the Washington DC office of a small defense contractor. We had a fellow who worked in our Santa Barbara CA office who commuted from Chicago. Not every day, but once a week. Every weekend he was home with his girlfriend. No matter what. And flew first class. Then he moved to my DC office to improve his commute to Chicago. When we closed the DC office he moved to the Huntsville AL office. If there hadn't been direct flights to Chicago he would have quit in a heartbeat.

But for me ( different job, but also in the DC area ) my worst was a daily one-hour commute to work and two-and-a-half hours drive home every night. Why the difference? Because in the mornings I could leave home at 4:30 am and beat the traffic. In the afternoon-evening there was simply no way to beat it without staying very late. After my divorce ( wonder why ) they allowed me to telecommute, all of one day a week ( Fridays ). Then they cancelled the telecommuting program and I switched to 10-4 so didn't ever work on Fridays after that.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:43 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,269,753 times
a walk and a subway ride for me--30 minutes door to door.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:15 AM

145 posts, read 271,885 times
my parents knew a guy in michigan that would drive 180 miles to work one way. he did this cause it was an awesome job and his family couldn't move due to medical issues.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:26 AM

676 posts, read 1,912,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyheyheyhey View Post
my parents knew a guy in michigan that would drive 180 miles to work one way. he did this cause it was an awesome job and his family couldn't move due to medical issues.
I don't understand that. It must be a VERY good job in order to commute that far (3 hours+?)You would think that you could find a job locally that pays well. At any rate you would make money working instead of sitting in the car.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:06 PM

146 posts, read 641,026 times
I used to commute 80 miles one-way to school every single day. I was a broke college student living with my sister in some country house. If there was no traffic, the commute would take me about 1.5-2.0 hours. However, there were days with heavy traffic that it would take me 3 hours. It sucked, but at the time it was my only option. Thank God I had a Honda CRX at the time, otherwise it would have been very expensive. Anyway, I sure do hope this guy has a hybrid or an electrical car.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:09 PM

145 posts, read 271,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
I don't understand that. It must be a VERY good job in order to commute that far (3 hours+?)You would think that you could find a job locally that pays well. At any rate you would make money working instead of sitting in the car.
It is michigan and it was the 80's and the guy worked at GM, so yes it was a very very very good paying job. michigan in the 80's was a hard time much like now

Old 11-18-2007, 12:14 PM

26,551 posts, read 47,232,923 times
Many people in my area commute to work daily into New York City---some commuting each way up to 100 miles. It's sad, but that's what happens when housing prices nearer to the Big Apple have become unattainable for the middle-class while white-collar opportunity is practically non-existent in Northeastern Pennsylvania.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:37 PM

25,291 posts, read 33,010,189 times
This is a major trend in Northern CA as well. In fact, today about 200,000 people commute from outside the Bay Area Metro from adjacent counties turning once country highways into major transportation arteries. What a sad commentary about the lack of affordable housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.