U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:05 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,310,239 times

Advertisements

Seattle to SF is over 13 hours, but who's counting?

Minneapolis:
Chicago
Detroit
Cleveland
Columbus
Cincinnati
St. Louis
Kansas City
Indianapolis
Madison
Milwaukee
Grand Rapids
Omaha
Des Moines
Fargo
Oklahoma City
Louisville

Dallas, Denver, Pittsburgh, Memphis, and Nashville are 13-14 hours, similar to Seattle to SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 11:47 AM

9,422 posts, read 18,313,139 times
From Albuquerque, NM......

Durango/Telluride, CO: 4-5 hours
Denver: 6 hours
Phoenix/Tucson: 6-7 hours
Flagstaff/Sedona/Grand Canyon: 5 -6 hours
Los Angeles/San Diego/SoCal: 11-12 hours
Las Vegas: 9 hours
Salt Lake City: 9 hours
El Paso: 3-4 hours
San Antonio/Austin: 11 hours
Dallas/Fort Worth 9-10 hours
Oklahoma City: 8 hours
Kansas City: 12 hours

and a lot of wide open spaces in between.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 10-01-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,450 posts, read 14,299,056 times
Milwaukee
Chicago
St Louis
Little Rock
New Orleans and the Gulf Coast and most of FL down to about Sarasota/ Boca Raton
Pretty much the entire east coast up to Boston
NYC
Toronto
Detroit
Traverse City
and all points between

Old 10-01-2013, 12:09 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,419,733 times
That's such a large travel time

From Phoenix:

In Mexico:
Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point), Hermosillo, Guaymas / San Carlos, Tijuana, Ensenada, Juarez

Domestic:
AZ - any city including Tucson, Flagstaff
CA - SD, LA, if traffic cooperated then pretty much anything south of San Jose,
NV - Las Vegas - google maps has Reno & Elko both at just over 11 hours, but I'm not buying it
CO - Durango, Grand Junction and if you moved quickly Pueblo and maybe even CO Springs
NM - entire state including Abq, Sante Fe, Taos, Las Cruces, Carlsbad, etc
TX - El Paso, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa and if lucky Lubbock
UT - Could get most places below SLC and realistically SLC would probably be just within range

Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 PM

From my home area in Upstate NY:

Canada:
Niagara Falls, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City, Montreal, Windsor, Sault Ste. Marie

Domestic:
NY: All points
ME: anything south of Bangor
VT: all points
NH: all points
MA: all points
CT: all points
RI: all points
PA: all points
NJ: all points
OH: all points
MI: all except parts of the UP
IL: Chicago, Champaign, Rockford
IN: Most of the state if you're moving - SW part would be the most difficult
KY: Lexington, Louisville ... maybe stretch it just a little bit south/west from there and pick up a couple more spots
WI: I've actually made it to Janesville in 12-13 hours ... most of that state would be out of reach unless you were really moving, in which case you could get southern cities and maybe Milwaukee
WV: all points
VA: all points
NC: if you really move you could get most except the fall southern and western parts of the state .....
Knoxville TN may just be out of reach as well

Growing up we used to drive down and stay with family in the FL Keys - we'd get out about 3-4am the first day and push to get to southern GA/northern FL and the 2nd day finish it up

Old 10-01-2013, 12:31 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,313,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
That's such a large travel time

From Phoenix:

In Mexico:
Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point), Hermosillo, Guaymas / San Carlos, Tijuana, Ensenada, Juarez
I guess I could reach most of those points in Mexico within 12 hours from where I live as well. Question is, do Arizonans actually drive down into Mexico to any of these places? It goes without saying Juarez is a NO GO. How about Puerto Penasco? Is that still safe to venture into? I'm curious about it, have even slightly considered a beach road trip down there.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:33 PM

7,281 posts, read 13,520,136 times
Up to Boston or down to Miami.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Do Arizonans actually drive down into Mexico to any of these places? It goes without saying Juarez is a NO GO. How about Puerto Penasco? Is that still safe to venture into? I'm curious about it, have even slightly considered a beach road trip down there.
Realistically, anything in Baja would be typically a no unless it was combined with a trip to SD

Wouldn't go to Juarez

Border towns adjacent to AZ towns on occasion - Nogales, Agua Prieta

The one Baja exception would be Los Algodones near Yuma .... it's become a destination of sorts for dental work

Rocky Point still gets some AZ tourist attention and there are AZ people that have vacation places there or even as far south as San Carlos

The drugs/violence in MX has definitely curbed the popularity to a degree ..... it's still pretty close to Phoenix though ..... I can get from my house to the beach in about 3 1/2 hours .... I just haven't done it in years

The last time anyone I knew went down was about 5 years ago when my wife and her sister went down for a weekend ....... I've heard secondhand mixed results and it's a place I'd look into in the next few years as my kids get older .... Hopefully the border issues and crime situation can get cleared up some

I think it's probably still viable, but definitely understand why someone would hesitate

Old 10-01-2013, 02:10 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,741,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Los Angeles, San Diego, Lake Tahoe, Las Vegas, Yosemite Park, Mammoth Lakes, Sacramento
Also: Phoenix; Salt Lake City; Zion National Park; Boise; and Evanston, Wyoming.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:10 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,327,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
are very long drives for leisure more part of the culture out there? 12 hours sounds extreme to me, but it seems like there's more of a road trip culture in the middle of the country.
I don't know, really. Among young people, my sister flies from MSP to Chicago (her boyfriend's dad is a pilot, which means she gets awesome deals on fares), but she went on a road trip to Kansas City and Omaha recently.

I think that the comfort of a 12-hour-drive really depends on the vehicle you are driving. "Highway cruisers" (e.g. Buick Park Avenue, Lincoln Town Car, Cadillac Deville) are likely to be a lot more comfortable over long hauls (as long as they are running correctly) than, say, a Honda Civic or (I would suspect) even some BMW cars (which are considerably more popular on the Coasts). See my three-year-old post: "Grandpa" cars .

I personally love long trips, especially on US or state highways, but also on interstates. At least you can tune around the radio for distant stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or