U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:30 PM

991 posts, read 921,360 times

Advertisements

Kansas

MLB: Royals

NFL: Chiefs, some Broncos fans out in west Kansas maybe...but considering the second largest city in the state is metro KC...

NHL: Nobody cares...I see some Blues fans here and there

NBA: Thunder, Lakers, Heat, and a few other teams. NBA takes a backseat to College Ball.

NCAA Football: Kansas State Wildcats (except Jayhawk alums, who are very patient in their support of a bad football team).

NCAA Basketball: Kansas Jayhawks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 PM

10,842 posts, read 19,431,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Kansas

MLB: Royals

NFL: Chiefs, some Broncos fans out in west Kansas maybe...but considering the second largest city in the state is metro KC...

NHL: Nobody cares...I see some Blues fans here and there

NBA: Thunder, Lakers, Heat, and a few other teams. NBA takes a backseat to College Ball.

NCAA Football: Kansas State Wildcats (except Jayhawk alums, who are very patient in their support of a bad football team).

NCAA Basketball: Kansas Jayhawks.
Actually the Kansas side of Metro KC is by far the largest population center in the state of Kansas at almost twice the size of metro Wichita, even though the city of Wichita is the largest city in the state.

I'll do Missouri and Maryland:

Missouri:

NFL: Chiefs, they are even popular in St Louis, although there are obviously more Rams fans than Chiefs fans in the St Louis metro area, the Chiefs are more popular across the state overall.

MLB: Cardinals, (similar to Chiefs in reverse), even the KC area has a lot of Cards fans, although a minority compared to Royals fans in KC area. Cards are far more popular across the state.

NHL: StL Blues of course, even in the KC area, but KC also has a lot of fans from other markets, Colorado Avs probably being the biggest outside of the Blues.

NBA: I think there is a solid following of the NBA in KC and StL, but when you don't have local teams, you just don't see the fans much.

NCAA: The Missouri side of KC is mostly Mizzou, even though there are also a lot of KU and Kstate fans on the MO side of the metro. StL is less into college sports than KC, but it's mostly Mizzou and SLU with some IL.

Maryland:

NFL: Obviously Redskins and Ravens. Seems pretty even depending on county. Some counties are pretty split while others lean one way or the other if they are closer to DC or Baltimore. But the DC area has tons of transplants and the NFL is huge out here so you see all the teams represented. I would say Pittsburgh, Philly and Giants are the most common.

MLB: O's are still the most popular team, but the Nats have really started to develop a fan base in the counties closer to DC. You also see a lot of Philles and other east coast teams represented.

NHL: Pretty much all Caps. Even in the heart of Baltimore. Maryland and NoVA is all Capitals territory and you see there gear everywhere.

NBA: Wizards, but they suck pretty bad and don't get a lot of love. You also see Philly , NYC teams etc. But you don't really see much NBA stuff.

NCAA: You really don't see a lot of college fans. There are some big colleges around the area and the biggest are probably Maryland although Georgetown, Navy etc also get good crowds and have large followings. Also WV, Virginia Tech etc. But all colleges are drowned out by NFL and MLB and even NHL at times in this area.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:17 AM

5,805 posts, read 8,566,925 times
Pennsylvania:

NFL: Steelers
MLB: Phillies
NHL: Pens
NBA: Sixers

If the Pirates are lucky enough to win the WSC, you could see the bandwagon shift to make the Bucs pretty much on par with the Phillies in the state.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:18 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,510,875 times
Montana:

NFL: Split between Seahawks and Broncos
MLB: Mostly Mariners
NHL: Avalanche (Gag me!)
NBA: I have no idea and I couldn't care less.

Overall, Montanans follow the University of Montana and Montana State sports a lot more than they do any pro team.

Ohio:

*I grew up in NW Ohio so I'm sure it's different in other regions of OH.

NFL: Browns/Steelers
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Redwings
NBA: Again, I have no idea.

To comment on a previous post, I eat, sleep and breath hockey and I have a lot more respect for the Sharks than I do the Kings and Ducks combined (with the exception of Selanne). That's a pretty safe assesment with most hockey fans in Montana. I think it has something to do with the complete and utter disdain for Southern California here in Montana.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,698,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Montana:

NFL: Split between Seahawks and Broncos
MLB: Mostly Mariners
NHL: Avalanche (Gag me!)
NBA: I have no idea and I couldn't care less.

Overall, Montanans follow the University of Montana and Montana State sports a lot more than they do any pro team.

Ohio:

*I grew up in NW Ohio so I'm sure it's different in other regions of OH.

NFL: Browns/Steelers
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Redwings
NBA: Again, I have no idea.

To comment on a previous post, I eat, sleep and breath hockey and I have a lot more respect for the Sharks than I do the Kings and Ducks combined (with the exception of Selanne). That's a pretty safe assesment with most hockey fans in Montana. I think it has something to do with the complete and utter disdain for Southern California here in Montana.
Montana hates us? That's pretty random. Why's that?

Old 10-08-2013, 11:29 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,698,961 times
But anyway.

Cali:

Baseball: Dodgers are about tied with the Giants
Football: Has to be the Raiders. They have the most support overall throughout the state.
Basketball: Easily the Lakers and its not close.
Hockey: Probably the Sharks followed by the Kings
MLS: Easily the Galaxy
NCAA Football: USC easily. Always top in the state in attendance and the most followed historically
NCCA Basketball: UCLA

Old 10-08-2013, 12:32 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
I've always wanted to know what NCAA team is most popular in Texas. I know out west a friend of mine (from the Austin area) said Texas Tech is big their, but who is more popular. A&M or Texas. I'm sure right now it's A&M because of all the hype in the SEC and Johnny Manziel but which fan base is more prevalent.
Texas is still more popular and probably always will be.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:23 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,264,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
New Jersey

MLB: Yankees are most popular, also Mets and Phillies

NFL: Giants are probably most popular, followed by Jets and Iggles

NHL: Maybe Devils, followed closely by Rangers and then Flyers. No Islanders fans here.

NBA: No idea (I don't follow basketball at all). Not sure if Nets fans followed the team to Brooklyn or not. Knicks are popular. Never heard of a Sixers fan.
Not positive but I would guess that the Phillies are more popular than the Mets, and the Eagles more than the Jets.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:10 PM

44,797 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Believe it or not, here in east Texas, close to the Louisiana line, people are crazy about the New Orleans Saints!

Cowboys don't look too bad this year either, but the Saints are kickin' some serious tail - 5 - 0!

Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 AM

3,145 posts, read 3,134,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Alabama

CFB -- Alabama, followed by Auburn. It is the most intense, insane rivalry in sports

Ohhh I don't know about that...

South Carolina v Clemson
Georgia v Georgia Tech
Mich v Mich State
Ohio State v Mich
Army v Navy

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or