U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 04:57 PM

363 posts, read 616,946 times

Advertisements

So, what are the most popular sports teams in your state. Not just the most popular overall team but for each league. For example I think it would be like this in my state, Nebraska

NFL: Denver Broncos (granted the Broncos are good right now, if the chiefs were better, their would be more chiefs fans)

MLB- Kansas City Royals. Nebraska seems to favor the royals, though the Cubs, Cards and Twins, as well as the typical bandwagon teams (Braves, Red Sox, Yankees)
NBA- A little tough since there's not a close NBA team, but i'd say it's probably your typical large teams like the Celtics or the Lakers. Might be some Thunder or Nuggets fans since they are the closes teams.

NHL- Not many NHL fans, but most probably like Chicago, Minnesota, Denver, the Detroit Red Wings because they such a well known team

College sports- Nebraska Football. A lot of people are what we call "Jayskers" during basketball season because they support Creighton b-ball and NU football, though I think more people are starting to support NU in all sports, but its different than a lot of schools where fans support all their schools sports teams.

As for Iowa (the only other state i'm familiar with). It would be

NFL: Bears- Even in the western part of Iowa there seem to be a lot of Bears fans.

MLB: Cubs. Not only because of proximity to Chicago, but because of the I-Cubs too. Twins might be a close second

NBA: Maybe the Bulls, though i'm sure the popular NBA teams like the lakers or celtics have a lot of fans

NHL- Maybe a slight edge to the Blackhawks, but since it isn't a hockey state your really popular teams would have a lot of fans

College- Iowa Hawkeyes. A lot of your T-shirt fans especially like the Hawkeyes. That being said, alumni support of Iowa State and Northern Iowa seems good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 05:06 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,707,147 times
Alabama

CFB -- Alabama, followed by Auburn. It is the most intense, insane rivalry in sports

NFL -- Although Alabamians just aren't that intense about pro football, they are generally split between the Titans and the Saints. Oddly enough, the Falcons just don't enter into the picture despite being the closest team for most.

MLB -- Braves, although the White Sox have a following in Birmingham due to the Barons being a farm team

NBA or NHL -- Funny. I haven't heard anyone mention the NBA in years. Hockey? A little among the expats who live here now.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:06 PM

174 posts, read 201,078 times
Wow, the first three are easy for Wisconsin...

NFL - Green Bay Packers
MLB - Milwaukee Brewers
NBA - Milwaukee Bucks
NHL - No single team rises to the forefront. My choice is Detroit Red Wings
AHL - Milwaukee Admirals

Old 10-01-2013, 05:09 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,313,139 times
This thread might interest you...

States with no major league sports, who do they back?

Old 10-01-2013, 08:13 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
NBA: New Orleans Pelicans

NFL: Saints and Cowgirls up in North Louisiana but now the bandwagoners are taking off Emmit Smith jersey's for Brees jersey's.

MLB: Astros or Braves

Old 10-01-2013, 09:43 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,146,115 times
New Jersey

MLB: Yankees are most popular, also Mets and Phillies

NFL: Giants are probably most popular, followed by Jets and Iggles

NHL: Maybe Devils, followed closely by Rangers and then Flyers. No Islanders fans here.

NBA: No idea (I don't follow basketball at all). Not sure if Nets fans followed the team to Brooklyn or not. Knicks are popular. Never heard of a Sixers fan.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:56 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,458,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
New Jersey

MLB: Yankees are most popular, also Mets and Phillies

NFL: Giants are probably most popular, followed by Jets and Iggles

NHL: Maybe Devils, followed closely by Rangers and then Flyers. No Islanders fans here.

NBA: No idea (I don't follow basketball at all). Not sure if Nets fans followed the team to Brooklyn or not. Knicks are popular. Never heard of a Sixers fan.
Sixers fans represent half of the state. From Mercer County all the way to Cape May County.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 AM

4,164 posts, read 4,612,699 times
Indiana kinda depends what part you are in since there's a city in the middle with major league sports and cities on opposite corners with major league sports.

CFB: I think primarily IU, though the northern half is more Notre Dame. Closer to Louisville you run into a lot of Louisville and Kentucky fans. West central has a lot of Purdue fans and east central can be a lot of Ohio St fans.

NFL: Pretty much the Indianapolis Colts. Again toward the north-northwest you'll find a lot more Bears fans (the Bears-Colts Super Bowl in 2006 was very interesting in northern Indiana). Toward the southeast you'll get more Cincinnati Bengals fans.

MLB: Central and south a lot of Cincinnati Reds fans and Chicago Cubs fans are all over, especially north. Surprisingly I don't see a lot of support for the White Sox in Indiana.

NBA: Indiana Pacers probably followed by the Chicago Bulls. When it comes to basketball, most people in Indiana care about high school and then college over NBA with college being heavily IU with some Purdue, Notre Dame, and Butler thrown in, though Butler's draw probably doesn't extend too far out of central Indiana.

NHL: Probably the Chicago Blackhawks because they are the closest team to most of Indiana. Overall, hockey isn't that popular here.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:35 PM

11,171 posts, read 22,361,018 times
Iowa:

MLB: definitely Cubs

NFL: Bears, Vikings, Chiefs

NBA: Bulls

Old 10-03-2013, 03:22 PM

788 posts, read 1,050,612 times
Michigan:

NFL: Detroit Lions/Green Bay Packers (A lot of Yoopers are closer to WI than they are to Detroit...and well, the Packers don't have the same challenges as the Lions. Hard to admit, but true.)
MLB- Detroit Tigers
NBA- Detroit Pistons
NHL- Detroit Red Wings
College sports- Michigan or Michigan State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or