Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 PM

2,596 posts, read 2,294,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
All of this 24-hour tv and media coverage of shootings isn't helping either.

The masses actually believe the frequency of these events is increasing when its really not, its just exposure.
+1

Maybe this is to scare us into giving up more rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I think people were more content then. With the recession/economy and housing bubble/burst, a lot of people's livelihoods, retirements and savings went south. Politics more divisive, the wars. Why wouldn't people be less content than before all of that?
I too agree with this. Especially the economy.

I've done some research into the wars. The things I've read are really dark. Things most people don't know.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:09 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,060,989 times
[quote=curiousgeorge5;31637856]I remember 10 or 12 years ago people seemed to be in better spirits in our country. Is my observation correct? Or is my observation distorted due to me not doing as well as in the past in my own life?

Has life become more unhealthy compared to 10 or 12 years ago?[/QUOTE

10-12 years ago = 9/11.

Although it did bring the country together, I don't think overall that translated into better spirits.

So no. Its probably you.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:27 PM

375 posts, read 796,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There's disenchantment and pure hatred, the difference is immense. A prime example would be the Congressional GOP that's costing the country billions of dollars and shutdown the government because they call the sky purple every time Obama says it's blue, particularly over healthcare since those they truly represent (big business entities) are at the short end of the stick with nationalized healthcare. The hatred extends most to FauxNews which wasn't in full hate mode until the 90s and has crested with Obama being elected into office. Also worth noting, Dems typically don't utilize hate or create lies to discredit a GOP President as the facts are typically enough. I feel certain this thread will lay testament to that theory.
Meh, the dems will do it when a republican finally gets reelected. Trust me, it'll be tit for tat for a long long time until people get sick of it, or don't care. I will admit even as a conservative myself, it wasn't hard to dislike Bush 43. He was pretty bad.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:45 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,353,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
All of this 24-hour tv and media coverage of shootings isn't helping either.

The masses actually believe the frequency of these events is increasing when its really not, its just exposure.
This has my vote. I think the belief that "times were better back in the day, people were happier, healthier and prettier blah, blah, blah" is a myth.

Not all times and not for everyone. If you look behind the fairy tales, you can find just as much unhappiness and discontent. The difference is there wasn't the means in which to share it in as great abundance as we have today.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
I will admit even as a conservative myself, it wasn't hard to dislike Bush 43. He was pretty bad.

Off Topic: I never identified with liberalism or conservatism but I wonder how someone dumb, and/or drug/alcohol-fried, and/or weak got elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.