U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2013, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Southwest
1,560 posts, read 1,063,255 times
Reputation: 1095

Advertisements

I remember 10 or 12 years ago people seemed to be in better spirits in our country. Is my observation correct? Or is my observation distorted due to me not doing as well as in the past in my own life?

Has life become more unhealthy compared to 10 or 12 years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,754,378 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I remember 10 or 12 years ago people seemed to be in better spirits in our country. Is my observation correct? Or is my observation distorted due to me not doing as well as in the past in my own life?

Has life become more unhealthy compared to 10 or 12 years ago?
Unfortunately we have to listen to all the negative miserable people here on the internet, 10-12 years ago we didn't have to listen to these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 11:16 AM
 
390 posts, read 786,632 times
Reputation: 504
Global Warming, overpopulation, scarce resources...have all gotten worse since 10-12 years ago.

Not to mention the Great Recession
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 AM
 
21,234 posts, read 30,478,027 times
Reputation: 19706
We've also become a country divided by politics and an element of which that actively promotes hatred towards the other half....that certainly hasn't helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 12:46 AM
 
363 posts, read 620,038 times
Reputation: 281
Politics has divided people since the 90's. at least in the 80's you had reagan democrats and in the 70's a lot of Republicans were pissed at nixon so they tolerated Carter until he failed. It wasn't until the 90's that both sides saw the other as evil incarnate, though it has gotten so much worse. Bush was Satan to the dems, no Obama is lucifer to the GOP

As for the internet, I think that contributes a lot to negativity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 05:01 AM
 
8,769 posts, read 10,880,577 times
Reputation: 12822
I think people were more content then. With the recession/economy and housing bubble/burst, a lot of people's livelihoods, retirements and savings went south. Politics more divisive, the wars. Why wouldn't people be less content than before all of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 06:00 AM
 
21,234 posts, read 30,478,027 times
Reputation: 19706
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
Politics has divided people since the 90's. at least in the 80's you had reagan democrats and in the 70's a lot of Republicans were pissed at nixon so they tolerated Carter until he failed. It wasn't until the 90's that both sides saw the other as evil incarnate, though it has gotten so much worse. Bush was Satan to the dems, no Obama is lucifer to the GOP. As for the internet, I think that contributes a lot to negativity
There's disenchantment and pure hatred, the difference is immense. A prime example would be the Congressional GOP that's costing the country billions of dollars and shutdown the government because they call the sky purple every time Obama says it's blue, particularly over healthcare since those they truly represent (big business entities) are at the short end of the stick with nationalized healthcare. The hatred extends most to FauxNews which wasn't in full hate mode until the 90s and has crested with Obama being elected into office. Also worth noting, Dems typically don't utilize hate or create lies to discredit a GOP President as the facts are typically enough. I feel certain this thread will lay testament to that theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,399 posts, read 27,625,424 times
Reputation: 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
Global Warming, overpopulation, scarce resources...have all gotten worse since 10-12 years ago.

Not to mention the Great Recession
What global warming? Besides, it's now known as "climate change."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Just outside of Portland
4,644 posts, read 5,885,010 times
Reputation: 4707
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Unfortunately we have to listen to all the negative miserable people here on the internet, 10-12 years ago we didn't have to listen to these people.
I agree with this 100%.
I don't think we are dealing with information overload as well as we could be...

Sometimes, ignorance was bliss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 06:30 PM
 
399 posts, read 772,594 times
Reputation: 254
All of this 24-hour tv and media coverage of shootings isn't helping either.

The masses actually believe the frequency of these events is increasing when its really not, its just exposure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top