U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2013, 02:52 PM
 
9,029 posts, read 16,446,778 times
Reputation: 6817

Advertisements

Philadelphia could work - there is plans for a movie theater, which seems to be the ongoing struggle in Center City

Once you get outside the "bullseye" of Center City things can get a little more difficult, but by and large the area around Center City is clean, a fair amount to do, some panhandling/street vendors but not as bad as places like SF or Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2013, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis
189 posts, read 306,670 times
Reputation: 255
Depends on how much money you have

Money is not an issue for me:
NYC or San Francisco or London or Paris, hands down

I'm very well off but not THAT well off
Chicago or Boston or San Diego

I want to live well but I'd prefer if I have some left to spend on food
Nashville or St. Louis or Richmond or Philly

Another chance to sell St. Louis!

Here is City Garden in St. Louis's Downtown:
Route 66 St Louis City Garden Panoramic | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Here is the Central West End:
imgur: the simple image sharer
Soulard Farmer's Market
imgur: the simple image sharer

We have parts of our downtown that can rival the best plazas in Washington DC or any other city in the world, but some parts are very much a work in progress. But progress is being made. St. Louis is no longer the dangerous dirty city you used to hear about. We'd be honored if you came and took part in this transformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 PM
 
1,953 posts, read 4,623,750 times
Reputation: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHamez View Post
Depends on how much money you have

Money is not an issue for me:
NYC or San Francisco or London or Paris, hands down

I'm very well off but not THAT well off
Chicago or Boston or San Diego

I want to live well but I'd prefer if I have some left to spend on food
Nashville or St. Louis or Richmond or Philly

Another chance to sell St. Louis!

Here is City Garden in St. Louis's Downtown:
Route 66 St Louis City Garden Panoramic | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Here is the Central West End:
imgur: the simple image sharer
Soulard Farmer's Market
imgur: the simple image sharer

We have parts of our downtown that can rival the best plazas in Washington DC or any other city in the world, but some parts are very much a work in progress. But progress is being made. St. Louis is no longer the dangerous dirty city you used to hear about. We'd be honored if you came and took part in this transformation.

What a great post! STL might be worth a look! Thanks!

I think a lively downtown with lots of people around in great public spaces is ideal. Even if there are a few panhandlers around, they don't dominate the landscape. Some cities are struggling with aggressive panhandlers and homeless in city centers, and we support their efforts, but in retirement we would prefer to enjoy a city that allows for residents and tourists to walk around safely. Thanks again for posting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 07:30 AM
 
56,747 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Reputation: 12550
Do you have a preference for a certain area of the country? I ask because like St. Louis, which has struggled with a certain image, Buffalo has a couple of areas I thought about. One is the Elmwood Village: The Elmwood Village Association

Elmwood Village - Buffalo New York - YouTube

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=elmwo...11.54,,0,-0.69

and the other is Hertel Avenue in North Buffalo: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=herte...100.37,,0,2.15

Hertel-North Buffalo Business Association, Inc.

HertelAvenue.com - Hertel Avenue Buffalo NY - Stores, Restaurants, Night Clubs, Services, Business

I know that they aren't Downtowns in the literal sense, but they are areas of the city that offer a lot and in an environment that you are looking for.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-10-2013 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 07:43 AM
 
4,247 posts, read 9,727,185 times
Reputation: 3788
I get the impression the OP equates college towns to a party scene. Although that may often be true, that's not quite the case for some. Ithaca, NY as pointed out is not quite that way, in part because there is a separate Collegetown bar/cheap food district from the downtown Commons which has a different retail mix than your average partying college student seeks. Cornell is frankly not high on the list of party schools and what partiers there are are much more segregated than at, say, Penn State. Ithaca city limits pop is under 50k but would be over 50k in a state with a more Southern/Midwestern model of local government. Since many residents come from the NYC metro there is a bias in recent development toward higher density/more urban feel than one would see in the Midwestern party school town as well.

Syracuse is a larger city than Ithaca and has many fine affordable neighborhoods isolated from the college party neighborhood too. I'm a little surprised one of the other posters in this thread hasn't mentioned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 08:57 AM
 
56,747 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Reputation: 12550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I get the impression the OP equates college towns to a party scene. Although that may often be true, that's not quite the case for some. Ithaca, NY as pointed out is not quite that way, in part because there is a separate Collegetown bar/cheap food district from the downtown Commons which has a different retail mix than your average partying college student seeks. Cornell is frankly not high on the list of party schools and what partiers there are are much more segregated than at, say, Penn State. Ithaca city limits pop is under 50k but would be over 50k in a state with a more Southern/Midwestern model of local government. Since many residents come from the NYC metro there is a bias in recent development toward higher density/more urban feel than one would see in the Midwestern party school town as well.

Syracuse is a larger city than Ithaca and has many fine affordable neighborhoods isolated from the college party neighborhood too. I'm a little surprised one of the other posters in this thread hasn't mentioned it.
Great point about Ithaca and many people may not realize that about it. It really has a Collegetown area and then there is the Downtown/Commons area for the city at large. If the town of Ithaca consolidated with the city of Ithaca, it would be at or slightly under 50,000 people.

I thought about mentioning Syracuse neighborhoods, but I didn't want to come off as that "H" word. With that said, Eastwood, the Hanover Square and Armory Square areas of Downtown and Westcott come to mind. Eastwood and Westcott have more of the main street with single family homes vibe and the squares mentioned have more of a loft/apartment type of housing. Eastwood has seen some development/improvement at/near the intersection of James and Midler as well in recent years. Westcott is not too far from Syracuse University, but far enough and the neighborhoods not too far from Westcott are arguably some of the nicest in the city of Syracuse.

Eastwood Neighborhood Association
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=james...06.14,,0,-0.48
Walkable Eastwood
City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Westcott
UNPA - University Neighborhood Preservation Association
Southeast University Neighborhood Association
Thornden Park Association - Syracuse NY
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=westc...,324.8,,0,3.33

Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY
Armory Square
Armory Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=armor...60.13,,0,-0.35

Hanover Square, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hanover Square
City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hanov...56.02,,0,-2.41

For Downtown Syracuse in general: Home Downtown Committee of Syracuse

In Rochester, Park Avenue or Swillburg/Highland Park could be good choices. Park Avenue | Rochester | Restaurant | Salon | Coffee | Deli
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Park+...295.39,,0,0.28
Park Avenue - Rochester Wiki

Rochester | Welcome to Swillburg!
Swillburg - Rochester Wiki

Highland Park Neighborhood Association | "The Finest and Healthiest Part of The City"
Highland Park Neighborhood - Rochester Wiki
Both of those neighborhoods essentially share this area: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=swill...160.06,,0,1.59

This Rochester neighborhood may work too: South Wedge - Rochester Wiki
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=South...146.26,,0,3.95

or maybe this street: Welcome To Monroe Avenue
Monroe Village - Rochester Wiki
Upper Monroe - Rochester Wiki
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Monro...76.58,,0,-2.36
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 AM
 
4,247 posts, read 9,727,185 times
Reputation: 3788
Lancaster City, PA might be OK for the OP too. It has a camera system through the central neighborhoods and predominantly row home housing stock. Franklin & Marshall College is small compared to the size of the community and there is a growing arts scene. Frequent train service to Phila/NYC as well. The City neighborhoods are a different world from both the fake and real suburban/rural areas of surrounding Lancaster County. City of Lancaster Downtown Lancaster, PA | Discover the perfect city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 09:46 AM
 
3,152 posts, read 3,139,875 times
Reputation: 1404
I suppose a lot depends on your definition of fun, where you want to live and factors such as cost of living, taxes, weather etc.


The Rich History and Regal Beauty of Charleston, South Carolina - YouTube

Charleston is a tourist destination, but more of an adult destination.


Charleston Voted 2012 Top City in US - YouTube


Thanks, Y'all - Charleston Voted 2011 Top City in United States - YouTube

Plenty of tourist videos of what downtown Charleston is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 03:20 PM
 
21,209 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Reputation: 19657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Philadelphia could work - there is plans for a movie theater, which seems to be the ongoing struggle in Center City

Once you get outside the "bullseye" of Center City things can get a little more difficult, but by and large the area around Center City is clean, a fair amount to do, some panhandling/street vendors but not as bad as places like SF or Seattle
I can't even wrap my head around the fact you're recommending Philadelphia over San Francisco or Seattle in terms of downtown areas. If one likes grime/filth and a less-educated vibe I guess so, but most probably don't have that type of "aspiration".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 04:16 PM
 
9,029 posts, read 16,446,778 times
Reputation: 6817
Center City Philadelphia doesn't come close to having the homeless situation/panhandlers that either SF or Seattle does ....... it just doesn't. There are parks in Seattle that are pretty much homeless camps that I've strolled by.

I love SF & Seattle, but you're going to encounter more homeless and panhandling there.

As for Center City Philadelphia it sits next to a very good University and an Ivy League university, has a number of medical schools within Center City and many jobs/residents that wouldn't exactly fall into any sort of "less-educated" vibe ... whatever that is even supposed to mean .... if you aren't careful around center city you may run into

Also Center City is much cleaner than SF and about on par with Seattle

Center City isn't the whole of Philadelphia which definitely has some troubled spots, but for that relatively small and contained area it hits pretty much all the checkpoints as well as pretty much any major city could.

This isn't 25-30 years ago

There are "problems" in Center City .... but they mainly have to deal with development and continuing to bolster the neighborhoods ..... improving Market East, dealing with the area around 30th st station and connecting that more to the city, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top