U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 07:47 PM

1,915 posts, read 4,605,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To the OP, if a city is under 50,000, would you automatically rule it out even if it offers what you are looking for?
Not necessarily. There are lots of variables and I wouldn't rule out a college town, as long as it's a "diverse" downtown, i.e., not just geared toward students. Several have mentioned Ithaca as having a nice downtown that is not geared to students.

Population is less important than a nice urban downtown feel, in a city with "moderate" costs of living, so SanFran is out, too expensive, though a wonderful city. It's interesting to see how some cities are improving in some areas, as the poster mentioned Buffalo, NY, which I lived in during the 1970's as an undergrad. I don't think I would want to return, however. I like winter weather, but Buffalo had massive amounts of snow in the 60's and 70's. I remember getting overnight snowfalls of 36" in one drop that were not all that unusual, lake effect snow. At that time it was fun (Hahaha I lived in a dorm back then and didn't have a car), but I think it would be less fun now. Perhaps those snowfalls have changed with climate change these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 02:55 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Not necessarily. There are lots of variables and I wouldn't rule out a college town, as long as it's a "diverse" downtown, i.e., not just geared toward students. Several have mentioned Ithaca as having a nice downtown that is not geared to students.

Population is less important than a nice urban downtown feel, in a city with "moderate" costs of living, so SanFran is out, too expensive, though a wonderful city. It's interesting to see how some cities are improving in some areas, as the poster mentioned Buffalo, NY, which I lived in during the 1970's as an undergrad. I don't think I would want to return, however. I like winter weather, but Buffalo had massive amounts of snow in the 60's and 70's. I remember getting overnight snowfalls of 36" in one drop that were not all that unusual, lake effect snow. At that time it was fun (Hahaha I lived in a dorm back then and didn't have a car), but I think it would be less fun now. Perhaps those snowfalls have changed with climate change these days.
Actually, the Syracuse area average more in terms of snowfall, but in both Buffalo and Syracuse, the snow totals vary within the area. Basically, the closer to Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, the more snow.

As for smaller cities, Saratoga Springs and Glens Falls may work. I'm not sure if the COL would be a bit high, as both are a little over the national average. Both get less snow on average than other parts of Upstate NY too. Saratoga Springs - NY - Dining - Shopping - Entertainment - Lodging - Professional Services
Your Guide To Downtown Saratoga Springs, New York - See What Attractions Downtown Saratoga Has To Offer!

Downtown Glens Falls- Discover Glens Falls, NY
Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:51 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,094,372 times
Museum district/carytown, Richmond va. Not that cheap, but much cheaper than sf etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.