U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:42 PM

13 posts, read 22,685 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a RCG trying to figure out where I want to live and was wondering if you all could help me out. I will be obtaining my CPA soon (assuming I pass this last test) and am free to live in just about any major metro area in the country. While I enjoy this flexibility, it's also given me a "paralysis by analysis" sort of feeling where I don't know what to do since I have so many choices. Here is some of my criteria and I was wondering if some of you could help me out:

1. Career-wise, I want to work within the tech or biotech/pharmaceutical industries. I'm getting more into biotech because it's not only fascinating, but it's also growing rapidly. I also have an interest in the renewable energy space as well. Therefore, a metro with a lot of jobs in these industries is of utmost importance and my number one factor by a large margin. I also have an interest in possibly working for a startup, so a place with lots of startup activity would be a bonus.

2. Weather-wise I like all 4 seasons but prefer sun to snow. I get bored really easily of too much of the same thing (i.e. permanently gloomy weather or constantly sunny) and my ideal would be someplace that is low in humidity and relatively mild in terms of temperatures while still getting 4 seasons or at least a distinct winter. I can't imagine it being warm and sunny during the holiday season, but I think I'd be pretty miserable if it was effectively winter for 9 months of the year as well.

3. Lots of single women . I'm particularly attracted to Caucasian, East Indian/Middle Eastern, and Asian women, so cities that tend to have a large population of them and a generally good singles scene for young professionals is highly desirable.

4. I like tall skylines, but I don't think I like uber urban environments where it's hard to escape people. My ideal would be having a vibrant downtown core when needed but being able to get away from it all as well. Needless to say, suburb life is more ideal to me than the urban scene (unless I owned a luxury condo or something, but I'm quite a ways away from that)

5. In terms of hobbies, I'm a very active person and also an avid reader. I like to work out/eat healthy, go hiking, skiing, camping by a lake, etc. in my free time and I'd like a city that is fairly outdoorsy and intellectual in it's vibe/culture. Although going to bars and whatnot is fun, I'm not huge on that scene and would prefer to do something else, and I'd prefer to live in a local that has plenty of people that see things in that similar vein. I also prefer people who are fairly laid back and non-abrasive/materialistic, although this is hard to generalize

Other than that, I'd appreciate cities that are livable for an upper middle class person (i.e. not NYC/San Francisco). I won't be getting paid a ton of money with my starting job in public accounting and, while accounting/corporate finance is a solid paying career, it is not Wall Street by any means. I'm a reasonably intelligent and hardworking guy, so I'd like to think that I'll be upper-middle class someday in a reasonably priced metro (maybe lower upper class if I get a bit lucky as well), but I'm trying to be realistic, so NYC/SF-type places are probably out for me, especially since I am not that fond of super urban lifestyles either and prefer having my space/car.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oops, I forgot: having at least an NBA and NFL team is a plus. MLB would be cool too, though not necessary. I could care less about the NHL (no offense to any hockey fans out there!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 08:35 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,416,312 times
Aurora, CO, specifically along Havana between Mississippi and Hampden.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:41 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
The Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill metro would be a really good fit if it weren't for your sports team criteria. In that realm I think Atlanta would be a good match.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:47 AM

4,228 posts, read 2,505,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy12 View Post
Hi all,

I'm a RCG trying to figure out where I want to live and was wondering if you all could help me out. I will be obtaining my CPA soon (assuming I pass this last test) and am free to live in just about any major metro area in the country. While I enjoy this flexibility, it's also given me a "paralysis by analysis" sort of feeling where I don't know what to do since I have so many choices. Here is some of my criteria and I was wondering if some of you could help me out:

1. Career-wise, I want to work within the tech or biotech/pharmaceutical industries. I'm getting more into biotech because it's not only fascinating, but it's also growing rapidly. I also have an interest in the renewable energy space as well. Therefore, a metro with a lot of jobs in these industries is of utmost importance and my number one factor by a large margin. I also have an interest in possibly working for a startup, so a place with lots of startup activity would be a bonus.

2. Weather-wise I like all 4 seasons but prefer sun to snow. I get bored really easily of too much of the same thing (i.e. permanently gloomy weather or constantly sunny) and my ideal would be someplace that is low in humidity and relatively mild in terms of temperatures while still getting 4 seasons or at least a distinct winter. I can't imagine it being warm and sunny during the holiday season, but I think I'd be pretty miserable if it was effectively winter for 9 months of the year as well.

3. Lots of single women . I'm particularly attracted to Caucasian, East Indian/Middle Eastern, and Asian women, so cities that tend to have a large population of them and a generally good singles scene for young professionals is highly desirable.

4. I like tall skylines, but I don't think I like uber urban environments where it's hard to escape people. My ideal would be having a vibrant downtown core when needed but being able to get away from it all as well. Needless to say, suburb life is more ideal to me than the urban scene (unless I owned a luxury condo or something, but I'm quite a ways away from that)

5. In terms of hobbies, I'm a very active person and also an avid reader. I like to work out/eat healthy, go hiking, skiing, camping by a lake, etc. in my free time and I'd like a city that is fairly outdoorsy and intellectual in it's vibe/culture. Although going to bars and whatnot is fun, I'm not huge on that scene and would prefer to do something else, and I'd prefer to live in a local that has plenty of people that see things in that similar vein. I also prefer people who are fairly laid back and non-abrasive/materialistic, although this is hard to generalize

Other than that, I'd appreciate cities that are livable for an upper middle class person (i.e. not NYC/San Francisco). I won't be getting paid a ton of money with my starting job in public accounting and, while accounting/corporate finance is a solid paying career, it is not Wall Street by any means. I'm a reasonably intelligent and hardworking guy, so I'd like to think that I'll be upper-middle class someday in a reasonably priced metro (maybe lower upper class if I get a bit lucky as well), but I'm trying to be realistic, so NYC/SF-type places are probably out for me, especially since I am not that fond of super urban lifestyles either and prefer having my space/car.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oops, I forgot: having at least an NBA and NFL team is a plus. MLB would be cool too, though not necessary. I could care less about the NHL (no offense to any hockey fans out there!)
If you could care less, there's hope for you yet!

I think Boston, Seattle or Portland would be good for you.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:55 PM

542 posts, read 1,406,054 times
Seattle

Old 10-11-2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Aurora, CO, specifically along Havana between Mississippi and Hampden.
Is Denver known for 4 seasons and as a biotech hub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill metro would be a really good fit if it weren't for your sports team criteria. In that realm I think Atlanta would be a good match.
I could easily substitute Carolina football/basketball (especially basketball) for pro sports. I like college sports a lot too actually. Is Raleigh good for young professionals though? It seems like a pretty small place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
If you could care less, there's hope for you yet!

I think Boston, Seattle or Portland would be good for you.
Haha good catch. How are Boston winters? Are they absolutely frigid or manageable? Also, don't people there have a reputation for being extremely insular/pretentious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Seattle
The PNW definitely doesn't get 4 seasons weather. It mostly has a wet and dry season. I'm also not sure if it's big on biotech.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:12 AM

7,385 posts, read 13,229,957 times
Quote:

The PNW definitely doesn't get 4 seasons weather. It mostly has a wet and dry season. I'm also not sure if it's big on biotech.
I agree that the PNW (the western portions) do not have enough of the traditional 4 seasons weather... but biotech certainly is big in Seattle. It can be argued that it's actually the biggest industry within Seattle.

I'd point out Denver, but have no idea of the biotech aspect.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 AM

56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Yeah, all of the criteria points to Seattle.

If the OP could swing it, Central NJ(New Brunswick, Piscataway, Edison, etc.) would fit given the industries and the demographics of that area. It would be about an hour from both Philadelphia and NYC, along with Rutgers and Princeton being right in that area. Cost of living may be an issue though.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:38 PM

Are there any places out east that aren't frigid during the winter? I really like the east and it fits my personality quite well, but I hate how cold/snowy it gets during the winters. I grew up in the PNW where the temperature rarely gets below 30, which is ideal, but at the same time, we rarely get snow around Thanksgiving/Christmas time. Are there places out east that get "chilly" or even a little snowy during Nov/Dec but are still moderate enough to rarely get below the 20s including wind chill factor, etc. or am I asking for too much at that point? Perhaps the mid-Atlantic and NC region would fit that bill?

Old 10-18-2013, 06:42 PM

56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Are there any places out east that aren't frigid during the winter? I really like the east and it fits my personality quite well, but I hate how cold/snowy it gets during the winters. I grew up in the PNW where the temperature rarely gets below 30, which is ideal, but at the same time, we rarely get snow around Thanksgiving/Christmas time. Are there places out east that get "chilly" or even a little snowy during Nov/Dec but are still moderate enough to rarely get below the 20s including wind chill factor, etc. or am I asking for too much at that point? Perhaps the mid-Atlantic and NC region would fit that bill?
Just as a frame of reference, even in the Syracuse area, we don't expect snow until after Thanksgiving and some years, it is dry during Christmas. So, you may be able to do the Bos-Wash portion of the Northeast. Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, Richmond, Norfolk/Tidewater, etc may work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or