Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:14 AM

30 posts, read 64,375 times

Advertisements

Hey all! Happy New Year

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on coastal living and the difference from NC & SC and the Panhandle. I have a young family and we are looking to relocate to the South from Minnesota. We will NOT be in the need to look for jobs as I can work remotely, thank heavens. I've been looking at Charleston and Willmington mainly and plan to visit both shortly. We are also considering the panhandle. We have a 300k budget for a new home and would like some area suggestions before our visit. Education and quality of life are our two biggest concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 01:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,899,911 times
I assume you mean the Florida Panhandle?

Old 01-02-2015, 01:52 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,469,488 times
Where in the Florida panhandle are you looking?

What kind of experience are you looking for?

What are your expectations?

Old 01-02-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
Where in the Florida panhandle are you looking?

What kind of experience are you looking for?

What are your expectations?
Not sure exactly. Looking for options on the FL panhandle, SC and NC coast.

As mentioned, would like good schools and a nice quality of life. My wife needs to be near the beach and we are operating on a 300k budget. By nice quality life I mean things to do, nice people, great food.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:43 PM

338 posts, read 553,006 times
If you want good schools you should probably just eliminate FL and SC all together.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,469,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
If you want good schools you should probably just eliminate FL and SC all together.
I almost agree with this.

East of Tallahassee in the panhandle is no place to raise a kid. Trust me on this. Unless you are military and happen to find yourself stationed in Pensacola (which is a military town, with all that it entails), there's just no reason to go down there, let alone live there.

I'm guessing that the only city in NC that might fit the bill is Wilmington. You may want to check out the Coastal NC board for more info. The schools are hit or miss.

You can say the same about Charleston. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but many people find it charming. Schools also are hit or miss.

For the love of all that is holy, don't even consider Myrtle Beach. Y'all ain't ready.

http://youtu.be/x4e53wnInX4

Old 01-02-2015, 04:41 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,862,727 times
If beaches were your #1 priority, then the panhandle.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:03 PM

23,347 posts, read 43,816,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
Untrue. It takes a little research, but there are some very good school systems in both areas. If you as a young family are looking at Charleston, I would consider Daniel Island or Goose Creek.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:39 PM

130 posts, read 211,889 times
I looked at charleston to move, their public schools were very,very low rated. So I would look into private.
Someone from Atlanta said it was super hot and humid. So with that said, I just don't know if I could take that weather because I know it can be hot and humid there. Oh and the bugs!

Old 01-02-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saranshay View Post
I looked at charleston to move, their public schools were very,very low rated. So I would look into private.
Someone from Atlanta said it was super hot and humid. So with that said, I just don't know if I could take that weather because I know it can be hot and humid there. Oh and the bugs!
Aren't all cities in the south hot and humid during the summer? Just like the north all the winters are cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.