U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
Reputation: 9029

Advertisements

Is it legal to just park in a rest area, snuggle up in a blankey and take a snooze?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2013, 06:57 PM
 
Location: The Pacific Northwest
6,015 posts, read 6,362,170 times
Reputation: 8281
I don't see why not. It is a "rest" area after all.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 07:02 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,877 posts, read 42,085,992 times
Reputation: 43281
Truckers do. I imagine some states permit it and others don't. I may be having a brain fart but I seem to remember MD rest areas having signs forbidding it.

I would think it would be somewhat problematic for safety. Wasn't Michael Jordan's father abducted from a rest area when he was napping and later killed?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 07:10 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Truckers do. I imagine some states permit it and others don't. I may be having a brain fart but I seem to remember MD rest areas having signs forbidding it.

I would think it would be somewhat problematic for safety. Wasn't Michael Jordan's father abducted from a rest area when he was napping and later killed?
Meh i aint worried about getting abducted, you're probably more likely to get injured/killed by a drunk driver.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,420 posts, read 16,950,133 times
Reputation: 9512
"Overnight car parking" is banned at most rest areas for safety reasons. The rules for truck parking are different, since by law truck drivers are required to stop and rest every few hours. And it's all monitored by GPS tracking systems now so there's no way for them to get around it.

Obviously, forbidding people from stopping to take a short catnap would defeat the whole purpose of a "rest area" in the first place. Still, I wouldn't be comfortable doing so at one that wasn't well lit or didn't have on-site security. Lots of terrible things happen at interstate rest areas, sad to say.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 09:10 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,345,392 times
Reputation: 22356
The worst part about it is taking a pee. Being a single female, there is no way I would walk to the restroom alone, at night. Peeing in a car (especially a small car) is really difficult too. I don't travel much alone, but either getting a hotel room for the night, or parking at Wal*Mart would be much better, I think. Safety wise.

20yrsinBranson
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 09:24 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
"Overnight car parking" is banned at most rest areas for safety reasons. The rules for truck parking are different, since by law truck drivers are required to stop and rest every few hours. And it's all monitored by GPS tracking systems now so there's no way for them to get around it.
Great the paranoid are ruining the road trip experience for us normal people
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Great the paranoid are ruining the road trip experience for us normal people
It's not paranoia that has caused the ban, it's actual crime. I think it's banned at most rest areas that don't have security 24 hours, but not sure. should be an easy google search for the places you're going.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 11:06 PM
 
1,831 posts, read 2,135,159 times
Reputation: 2602
Rest areas are not safe. Some states have added armed security due to tourists being killed at rest stops. Of course use them. But do not think of them as safe areas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 11:19 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
It's not paranoia that has caused the ban, it's actual crime. I think it's banned at most rest areas that don't have security 24 hours, but not sure. should be an easy google search for the places you're going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Rest areas are not safe. Some states have added armed security due to tourists being killed at rest stops. Of course use them. But do not think of them as safe areas.
Guess you guys are correct.

Massive swarm of bees causes stir at Pennsylvania rest stop | Local News - Home
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top