U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:41 PM

12,644 posts, read 10,487,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Is Pork Roll specific to NJ or the general region - always thought of that as a Philly thing but maybe Jersey too, is that more a S/Central Jersey thing or does that play as much in N Jersey too. I call them fat boys as too many will make it live up to its name

Anyway for NJ I alway think back to my childhood and this little deli in Wildwood Creast called Ritas - Rita made a mean Pizza Steak - the best part was this was a little store front with a door connecting to her house (kitchen) behind the counter. When a customer would come in she (think Rita herself) would come down (stop doing dishes in her kitchen which you could see through the door) and make my favorite childhood Pizza Steak - the grease would run down your hands out of the foil good
Oh no it's a Jersey thing! I believe it originated in Trenton, but not entirely sure about that. New York and PA places may sell it but it is absolutely NJ. North and south (and central if you believe central NJ exists). In the north we call it "Taylor ham" and in the south they call it "pork roll".

Edit: Yup, according to Wiki, invented by John Taylor of Trenton, NJ. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 09:42 PM

56,005 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Taylor ham and cheese is definitely not Philly/South Jersey, but all of NJ. I grew up almost as far north in Jersey as you can get--20 minutes or so from the Rockland County, NY, line, and Taylor ham and cheese sandwiches were in every little luncheonette and coffee shop.

I really want one right now. With pickles and fries.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:33 AM

606 posts, read 952,335 times
Oh man I miss home! You can't even buy fluff here in California! I never knew it was ONLY a Massachusetts thing until I moved here. Plus the Rhode Island Italian grinder is just as much a Massachusetts sandwich. Those are my two.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:27 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,459,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Pennsylvania should have been something form Primannti Brothers.
Fish taco should be California

and my favorite sandwich when I go back to NY: A deli breakfast sammich: Egg, ham (or Bacon) and Cheese on an NY hardroll.
I love my deli breakfast sandwiches

Im really surprised at the NY sandwich choice. Im sorry, but Katz's pastrami on rye with mustard is probably the most famous sandwich from the whole state. And its still a good eat all these years later

Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,205,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Some of the choices might be a little debatable or surprising(the Oregon one wasn't something I was familiar with), though others are exactly what I'd expect for certain states and classics. Pretty fun little little piece from Zagat...

50 States, 50 Sandwiches
this list was bizarre

Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
Fun fact about this:

. Edwards Drive-In in Indianapolis is where Food Network star Adam Richman had one, and they claim to be the tenderloin’s home.

The only reason Adam Richman visited Edward's, is because the local media was tipped off to where they were really going, so Food Net scurried to Edward's at the last minute. (supposedly)

Edward's is just about the last place you would go in Indianapolis for a tenderloin that is actually worth eating.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:55 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
You can't even buy fluff here in California! I never knew it was ONLY a Massachusetts thing until I moved here..
It's not ONLY a Mass thing. You can buy fluff all over the Northeast and I can walk in the stores here in MI and buy it. Fluffernutter sandwiches are also all over the Northeast, not just MA.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:35 AM

363 posts, read 617,103 times
While the Rueben is a good choice for NE, I think most people still think of it as an east coast thing. Nebraska's should have been the Runza. Almost everyone loves Runza here. They got Iowa right though, since Loose Meats are pretty popular. The St. Paul is good for Missouri, but you could put a burnt end sandwich from Arthur Bryants for Missouri, though there was a lot of BBQ on the list, and the Z man at Oklahoma Joes is just a bit better.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:50 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,444,844 times
I think SC should've had a mustard-based bbq sandwich, much the same way NC's was a vinegar-based bbq sandwich (which was spot on).

Old 10-14-2013, 05:58 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,142,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
As a native Marylander, I thought the same thing. A lake trout sandwich for a state that has no natural lakes? That's as bad as the halibut sandwich for land locked Utah.
Well, lake trout doesn't come from a lake and isn't trout. It's a Baltimore thing. Or at least calling it lake trout is a Baltimore thing. I just had some the other day in DC sans the bread, but it was called whiting. It's kind of like chicken box being a Baltimore thing despite being only mildly different (in that it's standardized) from what you get in every city in the region (or beyond?). Anyway, a NY Times article on lake trout:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/dining/29united.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Who in the heck came up with that Cuban Sandwich recipe for Florida. Made with salami???
Clearly someone from Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oh no it's a Jersey thing! I believe it originated in Trenton, but not entirely sure about that. New York and PA places may sell it but it is absolutely NJ. North and south (and central if you believe central NJ exists). In the north we call it "Taylor ham" and in the south they call it "pork roll".

Edit: Yup, according to Wiki, invented by John Taylor of Trenton, NJ. Pork roll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've associated it with Jersey and Philly, which is probably due to the Trenton connection. Then again it could be because it was my mom who cooked it and she was raised splitting her time between Jersey and Philadelphia. Her cousins with more tenuous Philly connections never heard of it. She always called it pork roll, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or