U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,535,014 times
Reputation: 17606

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
It's not ONLY a Mass thing. You can buy fluff all over the Northeast and I can walk in the stores here in MI and buy it. Fluffernutter sandwiches are also all over the Northeast, not just MA.
Yeah, definitely not just a Mass thing I grew up on these, too in NJ. They are still amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,535,014 times
Reputation: 17606
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I've associated it with Jersey and Philly, which is probably due to the Trenton connection. Then again it could be because it was my mom who cooked it and she was raised splitting her time between Jersey and Philadelphia. Her cousins with more tenuous Philly connections never heard of it. She always called it pork roll, though.
That's funny, you two here are the first people I've ever heard say it's associated with Philadelphia. It's totally a NJ thing. It bled into Philly and New Yorkers would know it, too, obviously both because of their proximity to us but it started in NJ and is a total NJ - entire state - breakfast food. You can barely find it anywhere else. Most other places look at you like you have two heads if you ask for it. On vacation to Maine last year, we brought it with us in a cooler the whole drive because we knew they wouldn't have any!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Shaw.
2,226 posts, read 3,148,796 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That's funny, you two here are the first people I've ever heard say it's associated with Philadelphia. It's totally a NJ thing. It bled into Philly and New Yorkers would know it, too, obviously both because of their proximity to us but it started in NJ and is a total NJ - entire state - breakfast food. You can barely find it anywhere else. Most other places look at you like you have two heads if you ask for it. On vacation to Maine last year, we brought it with us in a cooler the whole drive because we knew they wouldn't have any!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I knew it was a Jersey thing. But Trenton is obviously so close to Philadelphia, so that causes some overlap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 09:36 PM
 
Location: south central
606 posts, read 954,270 times
Reputation: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
It's not ONLY a Mass thing. You can buy fluff all over the Northeast and I can walk in the stores here in MI and buy it. Fluffernutter sandwiches are also all over the Northeast, not just MA.
Pft. Whatever. We invented it that's the point. Also, the only other state I've lived in is California and you can't find it here. That's all I'm sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2013, 08:17 AM
 
6,127 posts, read 6,454,215 times
Reputation: 6544
I've never heard of a pheasant sandwich, but it sounds about right for South Dakota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,099 posts, read 23,986,585 times
Reputation: 31007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
As a native Marylander, I thought the same thing. A lake trout sandwich for a state that has no natural lakes? That's as bad as the halibut sandwich for land locked Utah.
It was one of my first thoughts concerning the selection on that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,099 posts, read 23,986,585 times
Reputation: 31007
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
CT:
DE: The Bobbie (Thanksgiving sandwich) sounds really good. Is it?
The Bobbie is terrific. It's the best holiday sandwich I've ever purchased - almost as good as leftovers at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Status: "Wishing everybody a splendid summer!" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Northern Minnesota
30,154 posts, read 2,547,410 times
Reputation: 8669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The Bobbie is terrific. It's the best holiday sandwich I've ever purchased - almost as good as leftovers at home.
I googled Capriotti's for the recipe, which is super simple. I am going to make them with leftovers this year. My husband suggested adding gravy to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,099 posts, read 23,986,585 times
Reputation: 31007
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I googled Capriotti's for the recipe, which is super simple. I am going to make them with leftovers this year. My husband suggested adding gravy to it.
I was thinking about gravy when I wrote that! Start with a little and see how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,252 posts, read 54,695,623 times
Reputation: 66762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
It's not ONLY a Mass thing. You can buy fluff all over the Northeast and I can walk in the stores here in MI and buy it. Fluffernutter sandwiches are also all over the Northeast, not just MA.
Really. We ate fluffernutters when I was a kid, in New Jersey. How is fluff perceived to be a Massachusetts thing?

Edit: Looked it up, and sure enough, Wikipedia says "marshmallow creme" was invented in MA. Who woulda known. Not quite as famous for the state as New England clam chowder, that's for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top