U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 03:39 PM

23 posts, read 65,970 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to a beach town on the East Coast to be closer to family in Pennsylvania. Does anyone out there know if there is a town on the East Coast similar to Oceanside, California? Oceanside has a somewhat small town feel, with a population of about 160,000. It doesn't feel too crowded. There is enough to do that keeps life interesting, but not enough to draw in tourists. It is pet-friendly and there is always free parking at the beach and festivals and local events going on. There is also a Pier and a quaint harbor area with shops and restaurants. And Oceanside feels very safe overall. Does this kind of beach town exist on the East Coast anywhere?

Any feedback or advice on where I could look is GREATLY appreciated! I am not too familiar with East Coast beach towns!

Hoping someone out there has an idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 07:32 PM

56,637 posts, read 80,952,685 times
What about Virginia Beach VA?

Old 10-12-2013, 06:26 AM

21,195 posts, read 30,388,339 times
Check out Delray Beach, Florida which is halfway between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. It has a much smaller population than Oceanside but otherwise would feel fairly similar. It's pet-friendly, feels and is pretty safe, always has something going on downtown, a lot of nice restaurants and shops, not many tourists (much more locals) and free parking downtown. The beach parking is metered street parking or lots. There's an annual beach parking permit ($100) that's well worth it. Nonstop flights (2.5 hours) to see relatives in PA are readily available out of nearby Palm Beach International Airport.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:38 AM

Thanks I will have to check out Delray Beach. Sounds very nice

I've heard good things about Virginia Beach, but have never been. I would think it would have a more touristy feel? What do you like about Virginia Beach?

Old 10-12-2013, 11:55 AM

56,637 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnine43110 View Post
Thanks I will have to check out Delray Beach. Sounds very nice

I've heard good things about Virginia Beach, but have never been. I would think it would have a more touristy feel? What do you like about Virginia Beach?
It does have a touristy feel near the beach, but it is a pretty safe and spread out city.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:48 PM

22,698 posts, read 28,731,890 times
You are looking for a military town with a huge minority population with a lot of undocumented aliens, and some scary slum areas?

Old 10-13-2013, 01:49 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,966,698 times
The very first place that came to my mind was Beaufort, SC because of the presence of Parris Island ...

Old 10-13-2013, 02:30 PM

22,149 posts, read 23,668,851 times
I found an Oceanside in New York for you.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Thanks for all the tips. Has anyone lived in Virginia Beach here?
Any other neat beach towns I should look into?
I have actually heard of Oceanside New York

Old 10-15-2013, 01:06 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,510,132 times
Cape May, NJ (my personal favorite out of my list!)
Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
Manasquan, NJ
Lavallette, NJ
Avon, NJ
Bay Head, NJ
York Beach, ME
Ogunquit, ME
Rehoboth Beach, DE

There are a lot of beach towns on the East Coast with quaint, cute downtowns, a harbor or bay, and other things you like but usually they are touristy in the summer with day trippers or vacationers. Some areas are more gimmicky than others, but any beach anywhere is a destination. I've found many beach towns all over the country are alike. If you want to be near PA, I'd stick with New Jersey, Delaware, or Maryland. New York would work but traffic through Long Island and New York City to get to and from PA can be a b*tch. I mean, it can take three hours for me to get to Long Island's Nassau County and I only live about 30 miles away. Also, keep in mind that on the East Coast we get hurricanes and nor'easters. Sandy really demolished much of the Jersey Shore and hit DE, NY, MD, CT, etc pretty hard, too. A lot of homes in or out of flood zones were lost. If you're afraid of flooding, storms, or losing your home (or flood insurance costs) then I recommend living a few miles inland from the coast, but close enough to enjoy it. If you don't mind the risks, which many don't even after Sandy, then look on barrier islands or other coastal areas. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or