U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 10:28 PM

41 posts, read 132,020 times

Advertisements

Helllo!

Okay, what I am looking for may not exist but here goes! We are a middle-aged and an older adult lesbian couple of gals wanting to live at the coast. We are West Coast kinda folks but may be interested in living elsewhere. Any suggestions on a place where we could live on a fixed income (pt work possible) and be right at the coast (salt water). Thank you for any insights!

notswedish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 10:30 PM

56,517 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Provincetown MA?

Old 10-12-2013, 05:37 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,151,966 times
I don't think Provincetown is cheap to live in, really.

I was thinking Arcata, CA (but drug issues) or Portland, ME (which is still pretty affordable)

Old 10-12-2013, 06:03 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Check out the Lewes/Rehoboth Beach/Bethany Beach area in Delaware. Rehoboth Beach is heavily gay/lesbian populated, especially in the summer as it's the primary beach resort for the LGBT populations in DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia. Lewes and Bethany Beach are on either side of Rehoboth Beach and tend to be quieter yet obviously still quite liberal. Delaware overall is strongly a Blue state.

CAMP Rehoboth | Community Center

Old 10-12-2013, 02:12 PM

22,654 posts, read 28,672,666 times
I don't think any place right on the Ocean anywhere on the West Coast is cheap. I also don't think any place on the West coast north of San Francisco is politically liberal.

Brookings Oregon is full of Californians, so maybe they are liberals. There must be some way to find out how the town voted in the last election.

The state of Hawaii is really politically liberal. If you don't mind being covered in hot lava every decade of so, the Puna area of The Big Island is pretty cheap, although that doesn't apply to the houses with an ocean view, but you could drive to the ocean fairly easily. Taxes are high to pay for all those liberal giveaway programs and cost of living is high because of the cost to bring items to the islands, plus the taxes imposed.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:00 PM

7,281 posts, read 13,521,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think any place right on the Ocean anywhere on the West Coast is cheap. I also don't think any place on the West coast north of San Francisco is politically liberal.

Brookings Oregon is full of Californians, so maybe they are liberals. There must be some way to find out how the town voted in the last election.
Here's the county level results from the 2012 presidential election for Oregon. Curry County, where Brookings is, went 57-40 Romney. Oregon Election Results 2012 - Map, County Results, Live Updates - POLITICO.com

Old 10-12-2013, 03:13 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,607,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Most of the California coast north of San Francisco is pretty liberal which includes places like Arcata and Mendocino. The north Oregon Coast is fairly moderate, I'd say somewhere like Astoria is somewhat liberal.

To the OP, are you wanting to live right on the coast or would you live somewhere with salt-water but not really right on the ocean--like say the Olympic Peninsula?

Old 10-12-2013, 06:32 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
Lewes DE is a few miles from the coast, but it is the cutest town evah..... Really really cute if that matters to you.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:56 PM

22,116 posts, read 23,634,230 times
Portland, Maine was a pretty good suggestion. A select few parts of Florida, generally around Tampa and Miami-Dade could maybe do the trick.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:57 PM

41 posts, read 132,020 times
Default OP Here!

THANKS everyone!

We are Californians but live in Seattle. We HATE Seattle and not because of the weather. So, we want to head out. I would love to move home to the Bay Area but we cannot afford it. Upon looking at what is important at this point in life, it's affordability and atmosphere. We are looking at somewhere else in Western WA since it would be less costly to just stay local. It's hard to imagine, but we are looking.

And BTW, most Californians are not "liberal". And there are many "liberal" areas north of SF.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I am pretty afraid of Oregon but I hear that Astoria is nice. The PNW is not my fav vibe but I am really trying to stick to the "what's important RIGHT NOW" list.

I appreciate all of the suggestions!

Inga
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.