Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 05:09 AM

13 posts, read 31,670 times

Advertisements

After graduating from college I spent two years in Southeast Asia teaching English; one year to young children and another year to students and professionals. I will be returning to the United States this coming January and will obviously want to start working immediately. My dream job would be teaching history (I was a history major in college) but I do understand that teaching jobs, especially in the liberal arts, are very hard to get at this point, especially without experience. This being said I am an incredibly flexible guy and would be willing to work almost any job any where in the US. My only requirement would be that I make at least $30,000 a year.

I'm just worried because I have heard horror stories from my friends back in the United States saying they have been unable to find a job that pays them enough to move out of their parents' house. However, on the same note, many of my friends have not been willing to move out of their comfort zone (New York, Tri-State area), which I believe has limited their options a great deal. So how bad is the job market for indiviuals like myself who are willing to a accept almost any salary, work any job, and move anywhere in the US. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 07:07 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
If you can walk and talk, you can always get a job in retail, someplace like Home Depot. You probably won't make 30K to start but after a few years you will. You contradict yourself by saying you will accept any job and any salary but then require 30K which is hardly minimum wage. To get a teaching job you will need to target certain select areas where there is a need. Certainly not NY metro or most suburban districts but many inner cities have trouble finding teachers.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Where do you plan to move? Or do you plan to find a job first and then move there? We need more specifics.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:58 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
From the other side of the equation, my friends who own businesses have a very difficult time finding employees who understand that they are supposed to exchange some work for that paycheck.

No one I know has had any problem finding a good paying job. But I hang out with some driven people who believe in working for what they get and who will go out and apply and network until they find something.

That networking is important. However, I just rented to a couple that just moved back from Korea, where they were teaching ESL and the wife had a decent job by the end of the first week and the husband took 5 days longer to land a job. They both intend to move up to better jobs, but have taken whatever is available to pay the bills.

Quite literally, I have told at least 10 people who were moaning about not being able to find a job where there was an opening coming up that would quickly work its way up to $100,000 a year. Some qualifying but not difficult. Only one of them even asked what the job was and lost interest when they heard it could occasionally involve some long hours.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:35 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
Well, I'm a recent graduate with two degrees (no nothing "useless") and I'm down to looking for work at Walmart. It's bad but not impossible, but it's a lot easier if you know somebody... The "experience barrier" can keep you out of many jobs.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:49 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
You can always find a teaching job in less desirable areas. Inner city, reservations, remote Alaska, etc. etc. I believe there are federal programs that will forgive your student loans if you spend X amount of years teaching in some of these locations.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:34 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,202 times
No.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:01 AM

19 posts, read 33,383 times
Only a few states have what I would call a semi decent economy right now. All those states have oil, natural gas, coal, shale deposits etc That bein said we have been in S La which I think has one of the stronger economies and my wife has been unable to get a job in over 2 years. She has tremendous amounts of expierience in workin in dr's offices but cannot get a job at wal mart or lowes here, they hire the narcoleptic, crack addicted friend of a relative before they hire an outsider here from what we have seen. Food for thought and good luck to you

Old 10-13-2013, 09:06 AM

386 posts, read 668,045 times
US graduates think that just because they have a four year degree means employers are gonna go ape nuts for them.

They don't know how to network and promote what sets them apart from others.

And they're also not willing to work their way up the ladder. They wanna graduate and immediately get $100K a year. Like bro please, sit down.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:30 PM

19 posts, read 33,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
US graduates think that just because they have a four year degree means employers are gonna go ape nuts for them.

They don't know how to network and promote what sets them apart from others.

And they're also not willing to work their way up the ladder. They wanna graduate and immediately get $100K a year. Like bro please, sit down.

We have totally seen that, especially the expectation to go from intern to ceo a week after hire. I think thats mostly a result from the "everyone is a winner" stuff they teach in schools and the over boosted confidence and egos that has sprang up in our culture the last 25 years or so. It's all settin us up to fall HARD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.