U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,831,402 times

Advertisements

Orlando!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 03:29 PM

22,653 posts, read 28,660,433 times
Cheap candy bars or expensive candy bars? Good candy will sell anywhere, but for expensive candy, you need a place with high disposable income.

If it is a luxury product, then a tourist area would be good. People indulge themselves while on vacation.

I suspect that the people who eat high volumes of candy are buying relatively inexpensive candy in large bags. Hand made candy is a different market. So fat people are not necessarily going to be your target market.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:31 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,110,144 times
A tourist area is the only area it would work. Who goes to a candy store in their daily life?

A candy store is a pretty horrible idea in general unless it's a seasonal store like the ones you see in Bar Harbor, Maine type places.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,452 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Who goes to a candy store in their daily life?
Boyfriends, husbands, dinner guests, employers, people visiting loved ones in nursing homes, a small box of chocolate for your mom or your best friend just because?
For many years at Easter I would buy my kids a sugar egg from the candy store, truffles for Christmas stockings and chocolate dipped fruit for the first outdoor concert of the year, yummmm.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:27 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Skaneateles, Cazenovia, Clinton, Ithaca, Lewiston, Saratoga Springs and Pittsford, among others in NY, could work.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:34 PM

226 posts, read 361,768 times
Dallas, Texas
-The Plaza at Preston
-Galleria Dallas
-Uptown Dallas
-Bishop Arts

San Francisco, California
-Haight Street
-Fillmore Street
-Union Square
-Market

Old 10-13-2013, 07:25 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,110,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Boyfriends, husbands, dinner guests, employers, people visiting loved ones in nursing homes, a small box of chocolate for your mom or your best friend just because?
For many years at Easter I would buy my kids a sugar egg from the candy store, truffles for Christmas stockings and chocolate dipped fruit for the first outdoor concert of the year, yummmm.

Sounds promising on paper..A bakery and a butcher shop sound good on paper too.

Except most husbands and boyfriends buy their boxes of chocolates at grocery stores/walmart along with their steaks and birthday cakes. And a vast majority of bakeries, butchers and candy shops go out of business.

Can't count on customers who only buy something on Easter and Christmas.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:37 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,284,055 times
Quote:

Except most husbands and boyfriends buy their boxes of chocolates at grocery stores/walmart along with their steaks and birthday cakes. And a vast majority of bakeries, butchers and candy shops go out of business.

There's a really good homemade chocolate shop in SLC, and it does really well. The idea is you offer a few other things as well, such as homemade hot chocolate and hot apple cider in the winter, or a pumpkin cider or shakes in the fall (ice cream in the summer, fruit shakes in the spring/summer - you get the idea). Every time I go there, it's always full of people. They even had a reality TV show for awhile about their shop (I actually didn't go during that, because I didn't want to be on TV).

Also, Dylan's Candy Bar in NYC is hugely popular.

Actually, back in Oakland, CA there was a really popular candy shop, too. I don't know if it was homemade candy, but they had all different kinds there. It got plenty of business and was around for a very long time. I think it only closed when the owners retired. There's also some of those novelty giant candy shops. There's one in Emeryville, CA - they sell the massive boxes of Nerds, that kind of thing. It's been open for at least four or more years, so it can't be doing too bad.

My point is, a candy shop can work. But it has to have some type of gimmick. Totally handmade quality chocolate, or old timey candies that invoke nostalgia (and are also fun for kids), or even massive candy. It's got to be something more than a person could get for cheaper at Target or Walmart.

(Also, See's Candy once started as one shop, and look at it now.)

Old 10-13-2013, 08:35 PM

12,636 posts, read 10,483,539 times
A vacation destination. In NJ for example, candy shops on the boardwalks are popular and a tradition - fudge, taffy, candy apples, chocolate, gummy candies, anything. Atlantic City, Seaside Heights, Ocean City, and Cape May, NJ all have old fashioned and long time family owned candy stores operating on their respective boardwalks and elsewhere through the shore region. Candy goes especially well with amusement, vacation, and summer IMO.

I think you're stereotyping a bit when you say you think 'fatter' states would be better to sell candy in. Logically this does make sense, I see what you're saying, but people everywhere buy candy. It doesn't matter your size, weight, state, whatever. NYC is a healthier city and has well known candy stores. Times Square alone has a Hersey and M&M store, then there's Dylan's Candy Bar and other known and lesser known stores around. Point is, it can sell anywhere as long as it's good, quality candy.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,452 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Quote:

I don't see why a candy store should be any different than any other retail store, they all do the bulk of their business around the holidays, thus BLACK friday. New businesses are never easy, many fail regardless, but if you offer a good product at a competitive price in an underserved market you have a chance.
Memphis is not the biggest city out there, but it supports a number of candy stores, bakeries, and butcher shops. Not everybody shops at Walmart for all their needs, especially not when they live in multi-million dollar homes in the better parts of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or