Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 02:24 PM

391 posts, read 753,348 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I make my own candy bars and I am looking into opening a candystore somewhere in the States. I don't really care where it is, as long as it gets me customers.

Where in the country would you think a candy store would do best? I am thinking states like Ohio, Kentucky, Texas etc. which have a lot of obesity and not so much care about health. What do you think? Or will it be better with northern states like Pennsylvania or New York which have a bit more depressing weather?

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 03:41 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
IF that is the truth, I would look at tourist areas where people are there to relax and splurge a bit. No matter what the general population thinks of fitness, obesity, health foods... tourists tend to loosen up a bit and will buy candy; if it is quality and better than the cheap stuff you can get anywhere.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:22 PM

386 posts, read 667,843 times
Bigger cities with more people coming and going. Or cities with a huge population of females. Good lord my gf always wants chocolate at that time of the month. I should start putting together a separate savings account just for the chocolate.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:04 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
We choose to go to the moon, not because it is easy, but because it is HAAHD! (Candy)

Last edited by Gerania; 10-12-2013 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: better

Old 10-13-2013, 07:11 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
IF that is the truth, I would look at tourist areas where people are there to relax and splurge a bit. No matter what the general population thinks of fitness, obesity, health foods... tourists tend to loosen up a bit and will buy candy; if it is quality and better than the cheap stuff you can get anywhere.
Exactly. I would look to destination towns where people go to shop/relax. Some examples:

Galena, IL
Saugatuck, MI
Traverse City, MI
Blowing Rock, NC
Savannah, GA
Charleston, SC
Gatlinburg, TN

Old 10-13-2013, 08:15 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
My thoughts exactly.
And I really dont think that the local obesity rates are going to be much of a factor as to the success of a candy store.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:02 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Exactly. I would look to destination towns where people go to shop/relax. Some examples:

Galena, IL
Saugatuck, MI
Traverse City, MI
Blowing Rock, NC
Savannah, GA
Charleston, SC
Gatlinburg, TN
But some of those areas might already have too many candy stores... A saturated market.

Most obese people want walmart style quantity of sweets, so they wouldn't be your buyers at a candy store.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:27 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
But some of those areas might already have too many candy stores... A saturated market.
That's what I was thinking, might be hard to break into a market with a lot of competition already there.
I would think an underserved market with some upscale neighborhoods would be good. Memphis has a candy store that does a booming business, especially around the holidays, handmade chocolates and specialty candies. Pricey, but oh so good.
If all you have to offer is candy bars, maybe it would be better to try to get an established company interested in carrying your product?

Old 10-13-2013, 01:23 PM

542 posts, read 1,682,510 times
Seattle

Old 10-13-2013, 02:26 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
Hi,

I make my own candy bars and I am looking into opening a candystore somewhere in the States. I don't really care where it is, as long as it gets me customers.

Where in the country would you think a candy store would do best? I am thinking states like Ohio, Kentucky, Texas etc. which have a lot of obesity and not so much care about health. What do you think? Or will it be better with northern states like Pennsylvania or New York which have a bit more depressing weather?

Cheers
Sugar Land, Texas!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.