U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-12-2013, 02:24 PM
 
391 posts, read 572,662 times
Reputation: 264

Advertisements

Hi,

I make my own candy bars and I am looking into opening a candystore somewhere in the States. I don't really care where it is, as long as it gets me customers.

Where in the country would you think a candy store would do best? I am thinking states like Ohio, Kentucky, Texas etc. which have a lot of obesity and not so much care about health. What do you think? Or will it be better with northern states like Pennsylvania or New York which have a bit more depressing weather?

Cheers
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2013, 03:41 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 34,152,361 times
Reputation: 16839
IF that is the truth, I would look at tourist areas where people are there to relax and splurge a bit. No matter what the general population thinks of fitness, obesity, health foods... tourists tend to loosen up a bit and will buy candy; if it is quality and better than the cheap stuff you can get anywhere.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 06:22 PM
 
Location: The A
386 posts, read 549,748 times
Reputation: 489
Bigger cities with more people coming and going. Or cities with a huge population of females. Good lord my gf always wants chocolate at that time of the month. I should start putting together a separate savings account just for the chocolate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2013, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
24,980 posts, read 23,891,412 times
Reputation: 30823
We choose to go to the moon, not because it is easy, but because it is HAAHD! (Candy)

Last edited by Gerania; 10-12-2013 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: better
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 07:11 AM
 
21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Reputation: 19614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
IF that is the truth, I would look at tourist areas where people are there to relax and splurge a bit. No matter what the general population thinks of fitness, obesity, health foods... tourists tend to loosen up a bit and will buy candy; if it is quality and better than the cheap stuff you can get anywhere.
Exactly. I would look to destination towns where people go to shop/relax. Some examples:

Galena, IL
Saugatuck, MI
Traverse City, MI
Blowing Rock, NC
Savannah, GA
Charleston, SC
Gatlinburg, TN
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 08:15 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,054 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Reputation: 15172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
IF that is the truth, I would look at tourist areas where people are there to relax and splurge a bit. No matter what the general population thinks of fitness, obesity, health foods... tourists tend to loosen up a bit and will buy candy; if it is quality and better than the cheap stuff you can get anywhere.
My thoughts exactly.
And I really dont think that the local obesity rates are going to be much of a factor as to the success of a candy store.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 10:02 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,559,220 times
Reputation: 5662
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Exactly. I would look to destination towns where people go to shop/relax. Some examples:

Galena, IL
Saugatuck, MI
Traverse City, MI
Blowing Rock, NC
Savannah, GA
Charleston, SC
Gatlinburg, TN
But some of those areas might already have too many candy stores... A saturated market.

Most obese people want walmart style quantity of sweets, so they wouldn't be your buyers at a candy store.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,457 posts, read 14,307,686 times
Reputation: 23204
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
But some of those areas might already have too many candy stores... A saturated market.
That's what I was thinking, might be hard to break into a market with a lot of competition already there.
I would think an underserved market with some upscale neighborhoods would be good. Memphis has a candy store that does a booming business, especially around the holidays, handmade chocolates and specialty candies. Pricey, but oh so good.
If all you have to offer is candy bars, maybe it would be better to try to get an established company interested in carrying your product?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 01:23 PM
 
542 posts, read 1,405,834 times
Reputation: 900
Seattle
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,101,057 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
Hi,

I make my own candy bars and I am looking into opening a candystore somewhere in the States. I don't really care where it is, as long as it gets me customers.

Where in the country would you think a candy store would do best? I am thinking states like Ohio, Kentucky, Texas etc. which have a lot of obesity and not so much care about health. What do you think? Or will it be better with northern states like Pennsylvania or New York which have a bit more depressing weather?

Cheers
Sugar Land, Texas!

Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top