U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are there any mixed cities where race just doesnt matter?
Sure, tons 38 33.63%
A few 41 36.28%
Nope, none 34 30.09%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:22 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,427,207 times

Advertisements

Are there any mixed cities where race just doesnt matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 10:13 AM

47,980 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Are there any mixed cities where race just doesnt matter?
That is a rare find. It might exist somewhere and most likely it might be near a military installment and even so, there are always tensions somewhere.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:35 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,777,665 times
Haven't noticed any/many racial tensions or felt a sense of "Race" in any in the following places

Here (very little segregation, a lot of social indifference and assimilating immigrants)
San Diego, CA
Houston, TX (It surprised me big time, it's just all mixed up and people really get along)
Northern VA (very equal wealth among most minorities, this probably helps out a lot, more of a class issue)
(to an extent) Phoenix AZ, although it's not highly "mixed". More of a class issue.
And most towns/cities with a large military presence

That's about it.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:37 PM

32,322 posts, read 55,131,075 times
The Bay Area doesnt really have racial issues. First off, we have no majority race and people tend to get along well.

I think we have more of a class issue.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:39 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,900,535 times
Yes. Anybody who thinks a city doesn't have some kind of racial issue is like one of those 1950s people who wants to suppress and censure everything. Racial tensions exist in every major city. Don't run from the truth because it eventually will come back and bite you in the *ss when you least expect it.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Yes. Anybody who thinks a city doesn't have some kind of racial issue is like one of those 1950s people who wants to suppress and censure everything. Racial tensions exist in every major city. Don't run from the truth because it eventually will come back and bite you in the *ss when you least expect it.
We have much bigger things that will bite us in the *ss. Racism is far more of an issue elsewhere. Trust me.

Im person of color born and raised in the ghetto(San Antonio District, Oakland), now lives in one of the whitest and richest places in the Bay Area, but am still quite active in the community and have seen it all. My opinion is not based on idealistic dreams-but a really firm grasp of this area. I actually dont believe Racism is even among our 20 most pressing social issues.

Is there racism? There are hateful people everywhere. Does it consume our time and energy? no.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:27 PM

718 posts, read 2,484,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
We have much bigger things that will bite us in the *ss. Racism is far more of an issue elsewhere. Trust me.

Im person of color born and raised in the ghetto(San Antonio District, Oakland), now lives in one of the whitest and richest places in the Bay Area, but am still quite active in the community and have seen it all. My opinion is not based on idealistic dreams-but a really firm grasp of this area. I actually dont believe Racism is even among our 20 most pressing social issues.

Is there racism? There are hateful people everywhere. Does it consume our time and energy? no.
Bay area native, and i have to disagree. Race dictates so many things...

Old 11-19-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
Bay area native, and i have to disagree. Race dictates so many things...
My experience is totally different.

I think class is a much bigger issue.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:04 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,567,378 times
"Race" is largely oversimplifying things. Look at Mexicans and Central Americans. Is skin color really the issue there, or are feelings derived from other matters? There are various prejudices interwoven through society. On the surface it may look like a racial issue, but deep down it could be class, culture, etc.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:18 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,205,020 times
I still wish The Man didn't attempt to hold me down when I was coming up. Oh well, too late now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.