U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 09:07 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,032,001 times

Advertisements

Like many posters stated you have to adjust to your new situation. On a different note you may find out after you move to your new city that you made a big mistake and the grass is really not greener. Sometimes it takes moving away from a place to really appreciate what you had. I didn't appreciate Atlanta as much when I moved down to South Florida, but once I got back I was kissing the ground lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 09:37 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,900,687 times
You have no idea how much this has fizzled out since back in 2006, but basically people want to have their cake and eat it too.

I can speak to the exact example that you use. People from Long Island and New Jersey relocating to NC. That was probably one of the most significant migration trends in the nation back during the real estate peak. That also happened to be the early days of city-data. I was living in the Raleigh, NC area at the time but was considering moving back to my hometown in upstate NY (which we did). The NC board was OVERRUN with posts from people who were looking to relocate from the NYC metro area with dreams of the land of milk and honey. They basically wanted a little slice of NY in the warmer cheaper south. It was beyond obnoxious.

There were so many people who would comment on how NC was "just like LI was back in the 70s/ 80s when I enjoyed growing up here...and did I mention how much lower my taxes will be??!! oh muy gawd!!!"

You could tell them over and over again to be wary of this mindset and that everything wasn't a bed of roses and that this move might not be everything they were dreaming of and that there were problems in NC...but noooo...nothing was going to stop them.

A tiny fraction of the people who posted giddily about their recent or prospective move to the promised land stayed to update us all on how they were doing. Quite a few created posts just like the ones the OP is referring to. I was called everything from debby downer to a troll for DARING to shine some light on the reality that everything wouldn't be perfect with these folk's big move and that a big move means big changes, some of which they might not like. Turns out I might have actually known what I was talking about!

Old 10-16-2013, 11:43 PM

309 posts, read 596,702 times
People like to complain. Pure and simple.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:45 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,953,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Well my husband and I recently moved from WV to SC and we do make comments like that from time to time, my husband more so then myself. God knows not because we miss WV, it's just that everything is truly different. I think we really didn't expect EVERY THING to be different. It isn't necessarily bad it's just surprising exactly how different every thing is from WV. Every thing seems like it made 20 times harder then it need be in SC. Every thing is different from laws, renting, to little ceasers pizza prices, to peoples attitudes, to when we wake up of a morning and more. There honestly isn't one single thing about my life in SC that is the same as WV was, again not really a bad thing, just surprising it's SO different. You'd think some things just wouldn't change, like the time you like to get up or go to bed, but shockingly enough everything does.
No disrespect intended, but what in God's name made you think that life in South Carolina wouldn't be different than life in West Virginia? I can't think of two eastern states that are more "different" than those two ... except maybe WV and FLA! Example: West Virginia gets TONS of snow! TONS! It rarely snows in South Carolina, even the upstate area! HELLO?!

TO THE OP: I think this is a 50/50 compromise; people who are knowingly moving from one very different place to another must comprehend BEFORE THEY MOVE that their new home is NOT going to be "just like" the place that they left. But given time, they'll discover that their new home has MUCH MORE in common with the place they left than they are willing to give credit for. This is America, after all. Life in the 50 states is NOT that vastly different!

Old 10-17-2013, 05:13 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 17 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,833,943 times
They aren't thinking it through completely, aren't ready for the "challenge," or it isn't a good "match" for them. Moving isn't just a physical thing--hardly. You have emotional roots that go deeper than you think in your "old" place. You have to re-root yourself in every sense. Actually, the physical part of moving is pretty easy. Move from Point A to B.
You have to gear up psychologically to change. Everyone says they want it, but no one does. We all cling to the familiar, even if we dislike or hate it. Also, you have the nuts and bolts things like jobs, where you'll live, new requirements of the state, people factor, enough money to do it all. These are all difficult and take energy/time.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:41 AM

748 posts, read 1,413,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
No disrespect intended, but what in God's name made you think that life in South Carolina wouldn't be different than life in West Virginia? I can't think of two eastern states that are more "different" than those two ... except maybe WV and FLA! Example: West Virginia gets TONS of snow! TONS! It rarely snows in South Carolina, even the upstate area! HELLO?!

TO THE OP: I think this is a 50/50 compromise; people who are knowingly moving from one very different place to another must comprehend BEFORE THEY MOVE that their new home is NOT going to be "just like" the place that they left. But given time, they'll discover that their new home has MUCH MORE in common with the place they left than they are willing to give credit for. This is America, after all. Life in the 50 states is NOT that vastly different!
I didn't really mean weather wise, I knew that there was obvious things we knew would be different...things we wanted to be different. However I don't think we realized HOW much life differs.

1. People get up at the butt crack of dawn here, there is no waiting until 10am when everyone is awake for HOA to do leaf blowing, that starts promply at 7am. So our times of going to bed and waking up have changed drastically. People are far more active down here and from what we can tell sleep far less then people where we came from. At 7am there is people walking, biking, and so on. We used to stay up late and get up at 10am...all of that has changed. Which is something I honestly didn't think would change.

2. Prices are even different everywhere. Some things you expect to be different some not. Some things are a lot higher then we used to pay and some things as drastically cheaper. I thought chain restaurants would pretty well charge the same thing across the board but some chains around here are higher then WV....didn't expect that.

3. Pay scale is even different, which honestly is a really good thing because it seems to be much higher then back in WV, didn't really expect that for the types of work we do.

4. My husband and I thought tourist traffic would thin out this time for the year, but it hasn't happened...traffic is still a mess. which is both good and bad, means money is coming into the town so that's good but it's some times a long process to go a few miles down the road.

5. Wal-mart is even different down here, they not only carry different brands but they carry different types of foods. I notice they have a rather large Mexican foods/brands section. They also carry beach stuff at Wal-mart and still have it displayed this time of year. You'd think Walmart would be the same across the board but it's not. You can even buy touristy items in there from post cards to tee shirts. A lot of falvors they offer is different then the flavors they offered in WV.

6. Down here it seems you go though a min. of 3 interviews before you get a job...any job. Back in WV you had one interview and you knew that day if you had the job or not, down here it's a weeks long process. Again some thing we didn't really expect to change.

It's not so much large things that are different, it's the small things in life you really don't think will change that does and as I said it's not really a bad thing, it's just surprising. All of it is changes I like, it's just surprising still after a month and a half just how different things are, it's like night and day. Some of this amazement and surprise could be the fact I've never lived out of WV before and my husband has but he was in the Army so that was a different experience then this, so really we are both experiencing things we never have before...I guess we lived a sheltered life. Maybe these are all things others may expect, but little things and even some big things still take us by surprise.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:51 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,930,817 times
I guess you could say I have the opposite problem, I left my home state after college to move 3 states away, (2.5 hours north) I love my new state so much and I have made it clear to all of my friends and family in my homestate to the point where their sick of hearing about it. To the point where they think all I do is bash their homestate. On the other hand I fit in great up here and I try to make sure the natives are aware of how good they have it here.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,206,690 times
I think some of it may be due to the increasing number of involuntary relocations that are happening, due to the job market. People may have preferred to stay where they were, but the jobs for people who work in their field dried up. So they have to go where the jobs are to earn money again. Being resentful of the circumstance that led to pulling up roots, they're more likely to be annoyed at the new place, rather than eager to understand it.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:41 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,953,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I didn't really mean weather wise, I knew that there was obvious things we knew would be different...things we wanted to be different. However I don't think we realized HOW much life differs.

1. People get up at the butt crack of dawn here, there is no waiting until 10am when everyone is awake for HOA to do leaf blowing, that starts promply at 7am. So our times of going to bed and waking up have changed drastically. People are far more active down here and from what we can tell sleep far less then people where we came from. At 7am there is people walking, biking, and so on. We used to stay up late and get up at 10am...all of that has changed. Which is something I honestly didn't think would change.

2. Prices are even different everywhere. Some things you expect to be different some not. Some things are a lot higher then we used to pay and some things as drastically cheaper. I thought chain restaurants would pretty well charge the same thing across the board but some chains around here are higher then WV....didn't expect that.

3. Pay scale is even different, which honestly is a really good thing because it seems to be much higher then back in WV, didn't really expect that for the types of work we do.

4. My husband and I thought tourist traffic would thin out this time for the year, but it hasn't happened...traffic is still a mess. which is both good and bad, means money is coming into the town so that's good but it's some times a long process to go a few miles down the road.

5. Wal-mart is even different down here, they not only carry different brands but they carry different types of foods. I notice they have a rather large Mexican foods/brands section. They also carry beach stuff at Wal-mart and still have it displayed this time of year. You'd think Walmart would be the same across the board but it's not. You can even buy touristy items in there from post cards to tee shirts. A lot of falvors they offer is different then the flavors they offered in WV.

6. Down here it seems you go though a min. of 3 interviews before you get a job...any job. Back in WV you had one interview and you knew that day if you had the job or not, down here it's a weeks long process. Again some thing we didn't really expect to change.

It's not so much large things that are different, it's the small things in life you really don't think will change that does and as I said it's not really a bad thing, it's just surprising. All of it is changes I like, it's just surprising still after a month and a half just how different things are, it's like night and day. Some of this amazement and surprise could be the fact I've never lived out of WV before and my husband has but he was in the Army so that was a different experience then this, so really we are both experiencing things we never have before...I guess we lived a sheltered life. Maybe these are all things others may expect, but little things and even some big things still take us by surprise.
Sounds to me like you're finding out what a depressing place West Virginia is to live LOL!

And FYI ... that "getting up at the butt crack of dawn" comment kinda reinforces the stereotype that West Virginians are a bunch of lazy hillbillies, don't you think?

Old 10-17-2013, 04:04 PM

121 posts, read 187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
I guess you could say I have the opposite problem, I left my home state after college to move 3 states away, (2.5 hours north) I love my new state so much and I have made it clear to all of my friends and family in my homestate to the point where their sick of hearing about it. To the point where they think all I do is bash their homestate. On the other hand I fit in great up here and I try to make sure the natives are aware of how good they have it here.

Just curious..what was your home state and where did you move to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or