Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 01:50 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
As an Okie, and having lived in Tejas for over ten years, I know for a fact that North Texans would be shocked to know that there culture is Midwestern. I know us Oklahomans do not consider ourselves Midwestern either, just FYI for some of the earlier posters.

Also, North/West Texas are most similar to Oklahoma; and culturally, it's not Midwestern. A mixture of the South/West?....Sure. Midwest?....Hell No.

As per the OP's inquiry, I would say that California probably fits the bill. When I lived on the West Coast I met a lot of folks from Northern California. They considered themselves quite different from Southern Californians.

Okay. Carry on.
I wouldn't be quick to say hell no to the Midwest unless they specify which Midwest you're talking about. If anyone says the have Midwestern characteristics like Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, then I would agree. But if anyone says Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, I would say yeah. That's not to say North Texas and Oklahoma are Midwestern either. But the cultures are getting closer today as the way of life shifts that way. Dallas seems to try to connect more with Kansas City nowadays than Little Rock or Memphis. From what I heard from GraniteStater on here, he says the same is true vice versa regarding Kansas City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 06:20 PM

386 posts, read 668,045 times
NY State. Western NY should be its own state. Eastern NY its own. Northern NY State should just be sold to Canada. Downstate + NYC + Long Island should be one.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:00 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
NY State. Western NY should be its own state. Eastern NY its own. Northern NY State should just be sold to Canada. Downstate + NYC + Long Island should be one.

Why would NY want to sell the best part of their state to another country?

Old 10-15-2013, 07:41 PM

66 posts, read 129,659 times
I would say Missouri.

You have "Missour-uh" in the southern part of the state. Then you have the rolling, forested hills combined with some farmland in the middle of the state, and then farmland as far as the eye can see in the northern third of the state. As far as urban areas, St Louis and Kansas City couldn't be any more different.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:59 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
I guess another question would be what states don't really have much regional variation or cultural or geographic distinctions? Almost every sizable state that has a large urban area and rural areas in most of the rest of the state has a division to some degree.

Like Vermont, seems pretty solidly united in terms of landscape and culture, but I don't know, maybe people in the south feel they're different about Burlington... Delaware or Rhode Island seem to small to really have much division(since they're about the size of a large CMSA). Maybe southern Delaware resents northern Delaware in the Philly metro though...

Likewise, Wyoming seems to have a common vibe throughout, that's only really different in between the say somewhere like touristy and rich Jackson Hole and the rest of the state--or maybe between the Rockies in the west and the Great Plains in the east.

Last edited by Deezus; 10-15-2013 at 08:52 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 08:28 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
^ I don't know about resentment, but there is a bit of a difference culturally in Delaware, from New Castle County down to Lower Slower Delaware.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:52 PM

42 posts, read 32,851 times
Virginia and NOVA couldn't be further apart.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:56 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
^ I don't know about resentment, but there is a bit of a difference culturally in Delaware, from New Castle County down to Lower Slower Delaware.
Perhaps resent was the wrong word. But, I think most if not every state have rural areas that feel a divide with the big urban area(s) in a state. Or there's some other divide. Like in Alaska, people say the real Alaska starts when you leave Anchorage.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:40 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You could easily make several states out of

Illinois: Chicagoland is one state, the rest of Illinois is another. They're way different.
New York: NYC, LI, and the suburbs just north of the city are one state, the rest is another.
Maryland: Same idea. Baltimore, Baltimore county is one state. Then there's the rest of Maryland
California: Probably at least three states. Southern Cali (LA and San Diego), Northen Cali (San Jose, San Francisco, Scaramneto), and the Inland Empire
Florida: The panhandle is not like the rest of Florida really. Two different Floridas right there.
Virginia: NOVA is not like the rest of Virginia. It is a northeastern state plunked down in the Old Confederacy.
The Inland Empire is definitely not its own state. It would be part of SoCal. It's just LA's tail. I think you mean Northern California, Southern California, and the Central Valley (Fresno, Bakersfield, Visalia). And you still have the Central Coast left over.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:14 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
definitely illinois. chicagoland as its own state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.