Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
I think it would be easier to make a list of states that I wouldn't consider to be 2 or more different states put together for one reason or another (or several)

Rhode Island
Connecticut
New Hampshire
Vermont
Delaware
West Virginia
Mississippi
Hawaii
Alaska (ironically enough, even though it's geographic size could make it into about 15 states!)
In the case of Connecticut, lower Fairfield County has far more affinity with NYC than Hartford. Most residents of Connecticut's other 7 counties don't consider much of Fairfield County as New England, but as it's the economic powerhouse of the state, nobody wants to see it annexed by New York, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,203 times
I think this map and article show quite well how America is really divided into separate nations that do not adhere to state boundaries. The divisions that several people have pointed out already, like that between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, the 3-C's in Ohio, and San Francisco and Los Angeles can be explained by this map.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:54 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,324 times
Texas

1.) Panhandle = flat, edge of the South Plains...fairly cold in winter

2.) Far West Texas = mountainous, dry, desert (what many people imagine when someone says "Texas")

3.) North Central TX = DFW, nearly as many transplants as natives...shopping, technology etc.

4.) Piney Woods/East TX = humid, green, closer connection to the Deep South

5.) Central TX = Austin, strong Czech and German influences, BBQ and Kolaches

6.) The Valley = North Mexico

Old 11-10-2013, 08:59 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,971,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I would think you could make an argument for every state in the Union.
I don't agree with that. Alaska, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, Vermont, New Hampshire, all the small states can't make that argument.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:09 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I think this map and article show quite well how America is really divided into separate nations that do not adhere to state boundaries. The divisions that several people have pointed out already, like that between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, the 3-C's in Ohio, and San Francisco and Los Angeles can be explained by this map.
Why is Ontario in the same region as the "lower" Midwest?

Old 02-10-2014, 09:07 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,167 times
MICHIGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT A MAP..LOL Plus, the Upper Peninsula was given to Michigan for giving up Toledo. In addition, people in the Upper Peninsula speak with a different accent than people in the Lower Peninsula and are from different migration patterns into the USA.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:12 PM

373 posts, read 589,433 times
Historically, Michigan's Upper Peninsula was an add-on. To end the "Toledo War" between Michigan and Ohio, they gave Toledo and most of Willams and Fulton County to Ohio and gave Michigan the UP (taken from the Wisconsin Territory).

Whoops. Someone beat me to it.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:18 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Minnesota is actually 3 states put together, 4 if you count the un-named area that Glunderspiel ate during it's early formation. The other two were known as Hiawatha and Hüsker back in the old days.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:19 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Oregon and Washington each consist of 2 very different states, east and west of the Cascade Mountains.

The divide between north and south Idaho is stark too.
I've always joked that Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington could merge together and make a new state called West Idaho.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:20 PM

373 posts, read 589,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post

Southern Ontario does look more like Illinois or Iowa then say, Michigan. They even grow tobacco there. The rest of it, I don't get either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.