U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 04:58 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,802,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
though would say more similar that the difference between say a Cleveland and Cinci or Philly and Pittsburgh - at least to me
True, but that's due to the fact that the northeastern US quadrant is overall more varied, with a wide range of different settlement patterns and periods. The South, on the other hand, has a more even spreadand, with more kinship and similarities within itself. This results in large swaths of areas where the people mostly sound the same with only a slight variation in accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 05:41 PM

287 posts, read 265,264 times
3 for Louisiana there is North Louisiana, South Louisiana, and New Orleans. North Louisiana is referred to usually as Sportsman's Paradise and the Southern part is referred to as Acadiana due to the culture shock. And New Orleans is again just New Orleans aha. Also Northern and Central part of the state is way more rural.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,735,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Take note of my earlier post where I'm referring not only to geography but culture as well.
The culture is quite different as well. Northern California is where the hippies, tree loving yuppies and scary cultist old white people with grins live.

Southern California is where the crime, greed, rednecks, inbred desert dwellers, and Mexicans live.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
The culture is quite different as well. Northern California is where the hippies, tree loving yuppies and scary cultist old white people with grins live.

Southern California is where the crime, greed, rednecks, inbred desert dwellers, and Mexicans live.
I'm aware.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:20 PM

50 posts, read 47,569 times
Florida: actually three state.
South Florida with all the Hispanics and Yankee retirees
Central Florida with all of the married middle aged Midwesterns and their kids
Northern Florida, the last remaining area of the real Florida. Part of the Deep South.

Virginia:
Northern VA, more like the NE
The rest of VA, otherwise known as the real VA

Georgia:
Atlanta and...
the rest of GA

California:
West CA vs eastern CA

Louisiana:
New Orleans
rest of LA

Texas:
Eastern half is southern in culture
Western half is western in culture
Southern bottom is pretty much northern Mexico

Old 02-16-2014, 12:47 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,179,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoleaveFL View Post

California:
West CA vs eastern CA

Texas:
Eastern half is southern in culture
Western half is western in culture
Southern bottom is pretty much northern Mexico
I think this is the first time I've seen someone split Cali up East to West instead of the usual North and South.

As for Texas, it's a bit more split than that...

Old 02-17-2014, 10:26 PM

723 posts, read 1,398,155 times
South Carolina could easily be 4-5 states.

The couple of counties around Charlotte (York, Lancaster) are basically Charlotte south, especially in the past few years, with Rock Hill growing so much.

The rest of the Upstate is its own, very conservative state, down to about Clinton and maybe Newberry.

The Columbia metro out to Augusta and back to Florence (including the poor rural Midlands counties) could be its own state, and I-95 east is almost a completely different world from the Upstate. Charleston, Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head seem to have a separate identity from the rest of the state.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:57 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,056,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
South Carolina could easily be 4-5 states.

The couple of counties around Charlotte (York, Lancaster) are basically Charlotte south, especially in the past few years, with Rock Hill growing so much.

The rest of the Upstate is its own, very conservative state, down to about Clinton and maybe Newberry.

The Columbia metro out to Augusta and back to Florence (including the poor rural Midlands counties) could be its own state, and I-95 east is almost a completely different world from the Upstate. Charleston, Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head seem to have a separate identity from the rest of the state.
Lol, just because you have farmland, mountains, and a coast does not mean your state could be several states. Unless you really think South Carolina could become the New England of the south and divvy itself up into Rhode Island and Connecticut duplicates, but South Carolina lacks the density that those two states have.

Really, it is quite interesting the divide people imagine inside their states. Sure, there is one, but it exists in practically every state. Any state that has a coast will have a different culture on the coast and inland. Same goes for mountains, same goes for rural/farmland areas. And it is most pronounced in the differences between the state's largest cities and its small towns. The rural to urban divide is the greatest.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:04 AM

462 posts, read 582,754 times
California and Texas are obvious.

I would split California into at least three:
- inland valleys, Sequoia, Yosemite, etc. Capital Fresno
- North coast. Capital San Francisco
- South coast. Capital Los Angeles
- Extreme north can become part of Oregon or make its "Jefferson" fantasy state a reality. Don't know which city would be the capital - probably Redding or Eureka, if it doesn't go as far north as Eugene, OR.
- Sacramento and Reno could form their own state as well. Call it "Tahoe" or something like that.
- Some the desert parts of SoCal are a better fit for NV or AZ.

Texas already has provisions for a 5-state split, but it doesn't specify what those 5 regions would be:
- The southern Rio Grande and Gulf area. Capital San Antonio.
- The Space Bayou covering the Louisiana border and northern Gulf coast. Capital Houston.
- "Texlahoma". Northern hills and lakes. Capital Dallas-Ft. Worth
- Panhandle. Northern plains. Capital Amarillo or Lubbock.
- New New Mexico. Western desert and mountains. Capital El Paso.
- Austin could get its own state as well, making it six sub-states.

Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think Florida's "divisions" are that drastic. I would only split it into three parts, if any.
- "Dixie" Florida. The geographically northern part from Pensacola to Jacksonville.
- "Snowbird" Florida. Everglades, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, and Naples.
- Theme Park and Blast Off Land. Orlando and Tampa.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
California and Texas are obvious.

I would split California into at least three:
- inland valleys, Sequoia, Yosemite, etc. Capital Fresno
- North coast. Capital San Francisco
- South coast. Capital Los Angeles
- Extreme north can become part of Oregon or make its "Jefferson" fantasy state a reality. Don't know which city would be the capital - probably Redding or Eureka, if it doesn't go as far north as Eugene, OR.
- Sacramento and Reno could form their own state as well. Call it "Tahoe" or something like that.
- Some the desert parts of SoCal are a better fit for NV or AZ.

Texas already has provisions for a 5-state split, but it doesn't specify what those 5 regions would be:
- The southern Rio Grande and Gulf area. Capital San Antonio.
- The Space Bayou covering the Louisiana border and northern Gulf coast. Capital Houston.
- "Texlahoma". Northern hills and lakes. Capital Dallas-Ft. Worth
- Panhandle. Northern plains. Capital Amarillo or Lubbock.
- New New Mexico. Western desert and mountains. Capital El Paso.
- Austin could get its own state as well, making it six sub-states.

Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think Florida's "divisions" are that drastic. I would only split it into three parts, if any.
- "Dixie" Florida. The geographically northern part from Pensacola to Jacksonville.
- "Snowbird" Florida. Everglades, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, and Naples.
- Theme Park and Blast Off Land. Orlando and Tampa.
The Austin area doesn't deserve its own state status any more than than Houston or Dallas do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or