U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM

748 posts, read 1,416,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
How come you capitalized northerners and wrote southerners in lower case? If you have not heard northerners speak ill of the south you must live in a cave.
Maybe when I hit the button it didn't work? No reason in particular. And no I don't hear bad from the north I only hear it out of the mouths from the south. It's all over city data, but it's funny I don't ever see people from the north reply badly, or say anything mean. However outside of city data I do tend to keep to myself, i'm not at all social so maybe that's why I don't hear it?. I pretty well stay around only my husband down here and we keep to ourselves and enjoy our life. It just seems like people in the south have a chip on their shoulder about the north for some reason and they just nit pick like crazy. I consider myself southern having grown up in WV but I honestly don't get the nit picking between the two, it just seems to petty and immature to me. I personally could care less where some one comes from be it the north or the south, I guess I just don't feel the need to say mean or rude things against someone from new york or georgia based solely on the fact they came from new york and wasn't born in the south or the other way around. I guess in my eyes we are all people and as long as i'm treated well by someone then that is all that matters. I only speak ill of those who do me wrong in some way shape or form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 04:08 PM

12,887 posts, read 15,473,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
To start off with, this is not a troll thread and only respectful replies need be made. I am inspired to write this question based of things I have seen in real life and from many of the threads I have read on cd. It seems like some people have a real dislike for people from certain areas (for example NYers, Californians, and Texans, among others) and some people will be openly rude or hostile to a person because of where they are from without getting to know the person first. I have seen this when I was in the military and afterward, and the funny thing is, the people that act like this generally speak out against forms of prejudice (racism, sexism, etc.). My question is, since a person has no choice in where they came from, why is such open prejudice and hostility somewhat acceptable?
It's only "somewhat acceptable" Kemba to those people who practice prejudice themselves......and those are the ones we should feel sorry for.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:39 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,483,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
There seems to be a lot of open hate or hostility in the south against northern people. Granted I never seem to hear the Northerners speak ill of the southerners.
Really? Read more threads on CD, and you will see the hate for the South. Some Northerners call us ignorant, fake, slow, and racist just to name a few.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:42 PM

32 posts, read 30,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
How come you capitalized northerners and wrote southerners in lower case? If you have not heard northerners speak ill of the south you must live in a cave.
That's exactly what she is implying but I don't believe her one bit!

Old 10-14-2013, 04:49 PM

32 posts, read 30,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexStayTRUE View Post
That's exactly what she is implying but I don't believe her one bit!
But I read her other post and this is her experience from City Data she should go visit Yahoo Answers. Those ppl are...

Old 10-14-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Really? Read more threads on CD, and you will see the hate for the South. Some Northerners call us ignorant, fake, slow, and racist just to name a few.
Why would anyone call anyone that? Unless there is a reason. I haven't personally read any of these replies, but i'll keep my eyes peeled from now on and see if I notice anything. It also depends on who stirs the pot first as well. I've also heard the old saying that goes some thing like don't dish it out if you can't take it right back...or something along those lines.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexStayTRUE View Post
But I read her other post and this is her experience from City Data she should go visit Yahoo Answers. Those ppl are...
Well if you don't believe me that is your choice, I can't force anyone to believe me or not. I do think it's a silly thing to get upset over! I generally don't frequent too many places online outside of my blogs, city data and pinterest so I'm not familiar with yahoo answers or those who post there.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:23 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,267,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I am from the south and all i can say is if the shoe fits...

Old 10-14-2013, 08:47 PM

2,631 posts, read 1,945,378 times
As a rule of thumb, most people have an aversion to people who do not look talk or act like they do. That's one reason why the US is such an enigma. It's really the only sizeable and long existing country in the modern world that has so many different types of people, and has had them, for at least 150 yrs. Every where else that experiment was tried, one way or another, eventually it was a flop. The changing politic in this country, and the end of relatively predictable financial well being for most, however, is likely to change this. We'll have to wait and see.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:52 AM

973 posts, read 1,861,923 times
Yep! Read my freaking username! Lol I haven't uttered 'that states' name in over 10 years now. Lol or, typed it.

I do have a bias against people from Texas or Wisconsin. And I have close friends from both!!!!! Funny, my radar doesn't instantly come up if people are from 'that state'.

I love my texa$$ friends, but, stereotypes ran true for hubby's old boss. He was a portly, loudmouth, jackhole. Plump, hothead stormed into hubby's office, threw an empty paper towel basin, screamed of it being empty. He was demoted, finally, after hubby spoke out, finally, this fat ace, was demoted, forced to move out of state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by factoryrat View Post
Beats me. When we lived In MI we used to make fun of people from Ohio. And they made fun of us. Just a way of feeling superior, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or