U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 04:43 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,452,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
My question is, since a person has no choice in where they came from, why is such open prejudice and hostility somewhat acceptable?

No, it's not acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:59 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,491,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Why would anyone call anyone that? Unless there is a reason. I haven't personally read any of these replies, but i'll keep my eyes peeled from now on and see if I notice anything. It also depends on who stirs the pot first as well. I've also heard the old saying that goes some thing like don't dish it out if you can't take it right back...or something along those lines.
I don't know about you, but I don't talk about people from the North. I do defend my region of the country, though. Of course there are ignorant people everywhere, but that does not mean a whole region is ignorant.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:00 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,491,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
I am from the south and all i can say is if the shoe fits...
Your experience might be different than mine. You should be mature enough to know that you can't lump all people in any one region together.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:04 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,183,174 times
It's probably not a case of all or nothing at all. Very few things are either all this or all that. The difference may simply be in the likelihood of encountering something in a particular place or area.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:16 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,555,432 times
Hostility is a lot more likely to be found online than in personal conversations. People are more likely to say what they really think when they aren't within reach of the business end of the fist of the person toward whom the hostility is directed.

We all stereotype people to some extent, whether we admit to it. And on the topic of generalizations, it's only fair to point out that positive generalizations about people are still just generalizations that may or may not be closer to reality. As individuals, how we handle our classification of other people based on whatever criteria, probably has an effect on how we treat those people, at least to some extent.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:38 PM

20,896 posts, read 16,799,185 times
I find some ignorance and also some jokes when I go out of state ("Do you know Tony Soprano?" "Why would NEW JERSEY be the GARDEN state?") but I would not consider it hostility. I spent 6 months in Houston and never experienced any prejudice regarding being from NJ, nor have I anywhere else I have traveled.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:38 AM

14,290 posts, read 6,168,075 times
Quote:
There seems to be a lot of open hate or hostility in the south against northern people. Granted I never seem to hear the Northerners speak ill of the southerners.
I've seen a lot of hatred towards the south, particularly towards Texans.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I find some ignorance and also some jokes when I go out of state ("Do you know Tony Soprano?" "Why would NEW JERSEY be the GARDEN state?") but I would not consider it hostility. I spent 6 months in Houston and never experienced any prejudice regarding being from NJ, nor have I anywhere else I have traveled.
How would a person from Houston be treated in New Jersey?

Old 10-16-2013, 10:48 AM

748 posts, read 1,419,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I've seen a lot of hatred towards the south, particularly towards Texans.
Why would people hate someone from Texas? See that's stuff I don't understand why hate an entire group of people based on where they reside...makes no sense to me what so ever.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Why would people hate someone from Texas? See that's stuff I don't understand why hate an entire group of people based on where they reside...makes no sense to me what so ever.
I think it's because politics have become so ultra-partisan lately, and Texas is the biggest red state. It seems we're responsible for George Bush, changes to school textbooks, Ted Cruz, global warming, and every other ill people on the left can think of. And no matter how many times you explain that we're middle of the pack as far as education goes, these people will always say we have the stupidest people, the poorest people, the most racist people, etc. I'm sure California gets a lot of misconceptions too, but they have a huge media presence so not too many people believe all the hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or