U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 05:31 PM

241 posts, read 313,461 times

Advertisements

This is an old thread, but I wanted to comment because of Colorado. We lived in Flagstaff for 7 years, Sedona for 4, and now in Phoenix for 3+.

Flagstaff is great during the summer. Winters like Minnesota some years and the don't have the plowing expense money that the midwest states do so we moved.
Sedona has a pretty nice climate. Dry and very safe compared to Flagstaff and Phoenix. But summers can get to 105F and winters will get to 18, so it requires both heat and AC.
Phoenix is relatively nice for 8 months of the years. No snow to speak of. We live 40 miles north of Phoenix at 2200 feet elevation so it is about 10 cooler on average from Phoenix proper.

In AZ you get 5 cooler for every 1000 feet of elevation approximately.

We do not like having to worry for fear of death of we cannot get AC fixed during 110 temps. During July and August it might have a LOW of 99 so we are very interesting in researching the Colorado areas.

We did look at some placed north of LA but the gangs are becoming rampant in almost all of CA and we are retired and don't want to deal with having to find an expensive place to live so that puts CA out of the question for us.

Denver is in a bowl so therefore polluted, but we'll check out the rest of Colorado.

Having lived in Minnesota, Indiana, various places on the East coast including NY, CT, NJ, etc., we have sworn to never move East of the Rockies again because of the humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 10:36 AM

12,842 posts, read 4,640,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCat View Post
This is an old thread, but I wanted to comment because of Colorado. We lived in Flagstaff for 7 years, Sedona for 4, and now in Phoenix for 3+.

Flagstaff is great during the summer. Winters like Minnesota some years and the don't have the plowing expense money that the midwest states do so we moved.
Sedona has a pretty nice climate. Dry and very safe compared to Flagstaff and Phoenix. But summers can get to 105F and winters will get to 18, so it requires both heat and AC.
Phoenix is relatively nice for 8 months of the years. No snow to speak of. We live 40 miles north of Phoenix at 2200 feet elevation so it is about 10 cooler on average from Phoenix proper.

In AZ you get 5 cooler for every 1000 feet of elevation approximately.

We do not like having to worry for fear of death of we cannot get AC fixed during 110 temps. During July and August it might have a LOW of 99 so we are very interesting in researching the Colorado areas.

We did look at some placed north of LA but the gangs are becoming rampant in almost all of CA and we are retired and don't want to deal with having to find an expensive place to live so that puts CA out of the question for us.

Denver is in a bowl so therefore polluted, but we'll check out the rest of Colorado.

Having lived in Minnesota, Indiana, various places on the East coast including NY, CT, NJ, etc., we have sworn to never move East of the Rockies again because of the humidity.
Asheville isnt particularly humid. Boone would be even less so.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:57 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
Flagstaff does not have winters close to MN, especially if you look at the population center of the Twin Cities.

Flagstaff gets a lot more snow, but is not remotely as cold.

Plowing in Flagstaff is fine, but storms tend to be larger so when a big storm hits things can get messy for a little bit until everything can catch up. This isn't unusual for places that receive big storms - just understand that Flagstaff does get big storms ..... a lot of people don't think of an AZ city as a place that gets 100" of snow a year on average

However, the snow melts as it really doesn't stay below freezing there. In the Twin Cities that snow is there for a long time because it's so cold.

Grand Junction CO is an interesting weather place - summers are hot, dry and relatively short - winters are chilly, but not that much snow - compared to a place like Mpls you get half the snowfall and milder temps - compared to Flagstaff a hair colder in the winter, a lot less snow and noticeably hotter in the summer (average highs can get into the 90s and a 100 degree day isn't unheard of)

Old 05-11-2016, 11:03 AM

3,784 posts, read 2,999,426 times
Highlands NC. Check it out, if East Coast isn't ruled out.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:22 PM

97 posts, read 107,775 times
i just saw this post and want to piggyback on it...i was looking (or am looking) for the same this as the OP however I have come to realize that it doesnt exist in the category of affordable..

I have narrowed down to rapid city sd and boise idaho..neither are ideal, but neither is moving out of the country at this time lol...

athens georgia might be a consideration...not for me though because i need to be around mountains..

It seems rapid city is a bit sunnier than the rest...i detest cold but i have come to accep that due to my own budget i cannot afford to live in an area with good weather, except if i wanted to move to some parts areas without mountains...

Old 12-05-2016, 07:24 PM

97 posts, read 107,775 times
Default albuquerque

by the way...weather wise, yes Albuquerque would be an AWESOME pic for your criteria..however it doesn't have any water if that is a necessity and i can tell you from living nearby, crime is rampid!!!

Old 12-05-2016, 10:43 PM

241 posts, read 313,461 times
"So far my list includes:
Colorado Springs, CO
Fort Collins, CO
Rapid City, SD
Spokane, WA"

Someone somewhere on CityData mentioned the 100 longitutde as being the dividing line between
drier versus more humid.

I can tell you having spent 42 years in Minnesota that most anything East of the Rockies is HUMID!

We have been in Arizona in various locations for the past 11 years and could not deal with the humidity.

Eastern CO is the farthest East we would go. The problem when you get away from the California coast line is that desert is very hot in the winter and other areas are very cold during the winter.

Sedona AZ and Prescott AZ run about 18 low in winter to 105 high during the summer. I'm not sure exactly about Payson and PineTop but those might be about the same.

AZ is much cheaper than CO or WA. NM or Idaho (winters are cold) might have better summers depending upon where you are. But someone mentioned the crime in NM and I hear a lot of CO is now plagued with povery and high cost of living.

We researched Chile and their coastal areas are much like costal California without the high cost. My husband is on Oxygen paid by the VA ... if it wasn't for that, we'd be in Chile !

Old 12-05-2016, 10:56 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,178,928 times
Spokane gets a boatload of snow in the winters. It also has had an alarmingly increasing growth in the crime rate over the past decade.

If that matters in your search.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:42 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,934,565 times
Prescott, AZ would work good for you, Id imagine.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:45 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,934,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Flagstaff does not have winters close to MN, especially if you look at the population center of the Twin Cities.

Flagstaff gets a lot more snow, but is not remotely as cold.
Most days Flag is warmer than MPLS, but there are also many days where Flag is much colder. Daytime highs are milder, but nighttime lows are just as cold, and as I said above, often times much colder than MPLS. Just the other day Flag was at 2 degrees and MPLS was at 50. Both are equally cold, Flag just gets a bit more sun in winter (MPLS is much sunnier in winter than people think it is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or