U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 01:46 PM

8 posts, read 2,586 times

Advertisements

Looks like I may have found the information I'm looking for. I'm looking to relocate to a warmer, less humid area. Health reasons and age, of course. I've read with interest all of the suggestions mentioned above. many sound good. I currently live in Michigan, but I just can't take the humidity, the days in a row, sometimes up to a week, of rainy, overcast, high humidity, low pressure. I must say I'm somewhat surprised to learn that the northwest states are lower in humidity. I've always heard Washington and Oregon were rainy, gloomy places where it rained more often than not. So, I'm looking for a warm, dry, AFFORDABLE area. I'm thinking maybe somewhere around Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Colorado or maybe New Mexico. I imagine California is just too expensive. I did spend a year in Albuquerque back in the late '90's and from what I remember, it was nice. 90, 95 degrees with 20% humidity is better than 85 with 85% humidity. The only thing I didn't really care for was the population. Just lots of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 01:57 PM

247 posts, read 318,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
The climate in Flagstaff is really nothing like Minnesota, especially not Northern Minnesota where snow stays around perpetually for months on end.

Flagstaff gets much more snow than most of Minnesota and about as much snow as Duluth, which is the highest snowfall city in Minnesota.
Having lived in Minnesota for 42 years in Flagstaff for 7 Years, i have to respectfully disagree.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:30 PM

6,635 posts, read 10,430,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfrommichigan View Post
Looks like I may have found the information I'm looking for. I'm looking to relocate to a warmer, less humid area. Health reasons and age, of course. I've read with interest all of the suggestions mentioned above. many sound good. I currently live in Michigan, but I just can't take the humidity, the days in a row, sometimes up to a week, of rainy, overcast, high humidity, low pressure. I must say I'm somewhat surprised to learn that the northwest states are lower in humidity. I've always heard Washington and Oregon were rainy, gloomy places where it rained more often than not. So, I'm looking for a warm, dry, AFFORDABLE area. I'm thinking maybe somewhere around Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Colorado or maybe New Mexico. I imagine California is just too expensive. I did spend a year in Albuquerque back in the late '90's and from what I remember, it was nice. 90, 95 degrees with 20% humidity is better than 85 with 85% humidity. The only thing I didn't really care for was the population. Just lots of people.
The I-25 Corridor from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins isn't nearly as affordable as it used to be. If you don't need a job then you have more choices. If you do need a job that's gonna limit the major employment centers to Grand Junction and Pueblo - although you could commute to the Springs from Pueblo.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-13-2019 at 02:38 PM..

Old 05-13-2019, 04:04 PM

No job. I, unfortunately, am on disability, hence the affordability part.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:43 PM

6,635 posts, read 10,430,929 times
Quote:
No job. I, unfortunately, am on disability, hence the affordability part.
Sorry to hear that. It opens up your choices a bit.

The Eastern Plains are really affordable, but most folks don't find them scenic and access to medical care is not very good. Places like Brush and Fort Morgan are only 45 minutes from Greeley and an hour from Denver. You could also look into Limon or Sterling. The problem with living too far out on the plains is winter. I-70 gets shut down at least once during the winter due to blizzards. I-76 also gets shut down occasionally, but not as often as 70.

Pretty much any non-resort area on the Western Slope will work, too - like Craig, Grand Junction, Delta, or Montrose.

Along the Front Range, Pueblo, Walsenburg, and Trinidad are more affordable, but medical care in the latter two could be an issue.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:55 PM

925 posts, read 316,923 times
It's a thread about mild weather yet almost all of the conversation is about the Inland West. Guys, it's the sea that makes it mild..elevation makes it colder..big difference there.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:46 PM

18,923 posts, read 7,079,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's a thread about mild weather yet almost all of the conversation is about the Inland West. Guys, it's the sea that makes it mild..elevation makes it colder..big difference there.
The sea tends to make it expensive too, so this is a lesser of two evils discussion with low cost a key.

If you don't mind living on the Mexican border, Bisbee, AZ could work. Winters in the 50s, summers in the 80s due to elevation (5,500ft)

Old 05-19-2019, 08:03 PM

I'm more interested in a drier, less humid climate with less low barometric pressure for now. If I can find a "friendly" climate and begin to feel better, then perhaps I can broaden my search and venture out some. but in Michigan we get hit with one low pressure system after another. I(used to) love it here when I was younger but, I'm tired of being laid-up 3, 4 or more days a week waiting for better weather.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:17 AM

6,948 posts, read 3,838,763 times
Quote:
maybe New Mexico. I imagine California is just too expensive. I did spend a year in Albuquerque back in the late '90's and from what I remember, it was nice. 90, 95 degrees with 20% humidity is better than 85 with 85% humidity. The only thing I didn't really care for was the population. Just lots of people.
Should be at the top of your list. The ABQ metro area hasn't yet reached one million people and there's only two million in the entire state. Humidity was 14% a couple days ago. This year is very odd -- still cold and snowing in the mountains.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:07 PM

Yeah. I do remember it being 95 with high teens, low 20's humidity thinking, man, this is pretty nice. Beats the hell out of 8590 degrees and 7585% humidity back in Michigan. Even 50 or 60% humidity is uncomfortably sticky. I did miss the greenery and being 10 minutes from a lake pretty much anywhere in the state. But if i'm laid up in bed 4 or 5 days a week, all that wonderful wildlife isn't doing me any good anyway so might as well go where I can at least feel good enough to get out, eh? So, how bad is crime in the great southwest U.S.? Being waaayy out of the loop here in Michigan, all you hear is the bad or negative. I'm sure crime stats vary, like anywhere else. Is, say Reno "safer" than Vegas? What is Arizona like, crime wise? I don't really remember what Albuquerque's crime was like. I believe it was kind of high. Southern UtahColorado? Now, I've been told by several people to "be careful, crime is really high because of the illegal immigrant problem out there". "the closer you get to the border, the worse it is." So, what's the scoop? Is it that big of a problem or are things blown out of proportion? What areas are higher crime? lesser? I've been browsing Craigslist looking for housing. There seems to be ample housing available, pretty much all over. And thanks to all of your information. Making a serious life change later in life (60) and it's all appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or