U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:26 PM

581 posts, read 1,263,350 times
Default Affordable Mild Weather Small Cities without Humidity or Gloom

We all know California has the best weather in the US but it is simply unaffordable for most people.
So I started to think, when I eventually retire, where would I want to live?

Somewhere with mild temperatures, no humidity, and no gloomy winters. Somewhere with a
decent population to warrant the usual amenities yet small enough not to have bad traffic.
Taking a wild guess I figure a population of about 100,000 would ensure most creature comforts
without paying the price with traffic. For mild temperatures, I figured summers that stayed under
90 degrees on average.

I nixed:

Boulder CO because houses are unaffordable. (700k for detached houses)
Boise and Billings because they average 90+ in the summer.
Smaller cities around Seattle or Portland because they are extremely gloomy for 8 months of the year.
Anywhere east of Rapid City/Fort Collins/Colorado Springs because of humid summers.

So far my list includes:
Colorado Springs, CO
Fort Collins, CO
Rapid City, SD
Spokane, WA

For this list of 4, it would seem that Colorado Springs and Fort Collins would
have the mildest temperatures with Spokane and Rapid City having significantly
colder winters.

So what do you think? Did I miss any affordable/smallish/mild weather cities?
And if so, would they beat Colorado Springs and Fort Collins for mild weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 PM

4,029 posts, read 2,479,241 times
Look into the Inland Empire of SoCal. Summers are hot and winters aren't as warm as they are on SoCal's coast, but you get more sunshine and less wet weather than somewhere like LA or Santa Barbara, which are along the coast.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:28 PM

3,602 posts, read 4,098,510 times
Reno might be worth a look. Its a tad warmer than the Colorado cities in the summer, but its hardly noticeable. The Colorado cities only stay below average highs of 90 because of long stretches of thunderstorms. If Reno got the monsoon as much as the Front Range of Colorado did the summer average temps would be very close, so basically you are getting your "mild" weather from clouds and rain. Then in the winter while it can get cold in Reno and snow on occasion, neither are anywhere near the level you see in any of the cities you list.

Also cities in Arizona at higher elevation would be worth a look. Flagstaff is expensive but places at elevation an hour or two outside Phoenix and Tucson are around the 90 mark in the daytime and have very little of the winter. The climate has made Prescott a retirement haven, it might be your best choice if you can make it work with your budget. Cheaper options are out there as well, but they are more like villages where you will be driving into the city for your amenities.

Rapid City is really out in the middle of nowhere, can't advise it unless isolation is what you are really looking for. The other cities are a 2 hour drive from a decent metro area (well not quite for Spokane). Rapid City is over 6 hours to Denver and that is it. And that is really horrible weather there. Anyplace that goes from well over 100 in summer and then under 0 for pretty significant stretches of every year is pretty much the definition of extreme to me.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:25 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,024,997 times
Denver!

Old 10-15-2013, 08:24 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,023,497 times
Rapid City does NOT have mild weather, it probably has the most extreme weather in the United States.

I second Flagstaff. Salt Lake City may work too.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:28 AM

Everyone is right. Rapid City has huge temperature swings.

I was fooled by Weather.com's averages. It says the ave low
in Dec and Jan is 38 while the average high is 85 in July and 84 for Aug.

It's easy to see how I was fooled by the numbers..

Old 10-15-2013, 09:39 AM

No offense but the Inland Empire of SoCal is still expensive and very congested.
It doesn't fit the "small city" (more peaceful) model that many people look for
when they retire. I could be wrong though and many people might think its a good
compromise weather wise. Thanks for adding to the thread.

Salt Lake City gets really hot in the summer. So while I was dead wrong on Rapid City
as being a candidate, I think Colorado Springs/Fort Collins/Spokane seem like the best
affordable small city choices (so far) that have summers that stay in the 80s.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:42 AM

392 posts, read 345,307 times
Denver

Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM

4,029 posts, read 2,479,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborEastGuy View Post
No offense but the Inland Empire of SoCal is still expensive and very congested.
It doesn't fit the "small city" (more peaceful) model that many people look for
when they retire. I could be wrong though and many people might think its a good
compromise weather wise. Thanks for adding to the thread.

Salt Lake City gets really hot in the summer. So while I was dead wrong on Rapid City
as being a candidate, I think Colorado Springs/Fort Collins/Spokane seem like the best
affordable small city choices (so far) that have summers that stay in the 80s.
No offense taken. I actually don't even care for the IE myself-winters are too chilly and summers too hot, plus, smog, poverty, and such problems. But my grandma lives there now and is pretty much only staying for the weather and scenery of the palm trees and mountains. I would still say it's a good compromise: Denver and Salt Lake City don't really have mild weather, as summers in both places are still rather hot, plus, cold and snowy winters.

What about Sacramento or Eureka in NorCal? I don't know the expense, but I'd imagine that, like the IE, it's cheaper than much of California.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:54 PM

Sacramento is REALLY hot in the summer. Plenty of 100 degree days.
And the cost of houses are really high also.

Eureka is cold, damp, and gloomy much like the Seattle area. There is
no debating that coastal Southern California can't be beat for mild weather,
but who can afford a nice house there?

I have to say that Colorado seems like the mildest compromise of temps.
(Without having 90+ summers)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.