U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 01:38 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,285,802 times

Advertisements

St Louis is not the south but its hardly a liberal place or in a liberal state.You go not far out of St.Louis you will encounter very similar attitudes that they say wish to escape.That said one would definitely say Atlanta is a far better choice over St.Louis.

However if out of the South is what they want,then I would say D.C.Its Northeast and Southern.Many transplants from particularly both regions are living in that area.Its not a huge culture shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 05:56 AM

485 posts, read 730,899 times
I can't wait to get out of the South either! I think I want to move to Boston, Philly, NYC, or Chicago. You guys ought to check these places out.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:08 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhime_animal View Post
We would love to be somewhere like Boston but that's pretty much out of our budget right now. Any similar places like that? Any help would be great as neither of us have lived anywhere other than Tennessee and we're not quite sure how to decide on where to move other than randomly throwing a dart on the map. Help a young couple out!
I wouldn't rule out Boston for fear of cost of living. You'll obviously have to find jobs when moving and salaries in Boston are significantly higher than Knoxville's. The average salary in Boston for the primary job sector is 34% higher than the national average.

BLS: Boston salaries far higher than nation's average - Boston Business Journal

The Boston area is great for active people with so much going on, plus having one of the best job markets/economies in the country.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:32 AM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Can anyone suggest an area on the east coast (we'd like to stay closeish to family but it's not that important) that offers outdoor activities, has 4 distinct seasons, has a great downtown area, and good job opportunities? We would love to be somewhere like Boston but that's pretty much out of our budget right now. Any similar places like that?
You can find all of what you're looking for anywhere from northern Virginia to Massachusetts - the main cities being Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City and Boston.

However, you need to understand that getting a high-paying job/career is the most important step. If you don't do that, then you're going to run into problems with the COL in a lot of places almost inevitably - unless you're willing to live in exurbs and rural areas. That can bring its own advantages/disadvantages.

BTW, I stayed in Knoxville when I visited the Smokey Mountains. I thought the people were friendly in Knoxville but it's too small and secluded for me to live there.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-18-2013 at 09:50 AM..

Old 10-18-2013, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I would say check out either Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. Maybe check out the Maryland cities of Frederick, Annapolis, Hyattsville, Mt. Rainier, Silver Spring, Hagerstown, Ellicott City, Towson, Rockville, or Germantown. Perhaps see what you might like in Delaware or Virginia (See if you can afford Nova, if not, see about Charlottesville, Richmond, Norfolk, etc.) Virginia is geographically and culturally (For the most part anyway or 30 miles south of Fredericksburg to be specific) Southern, but most Southerners outside of VA think otherwise. Just a thought.

If you wanna look further up the East Coast, ever thought about looking somewhere in Connecticut or New Jersey? It would be nice to know the budget of you two, as well as whether or not you two want an urban or a suburban lifestyle.

Thank you for all of the suggestions! To be frank, I'm not really sure what our budget is as I have no idea on what's realistic in terms of COL for us in any of the northern & east coast cities. We live in a 2-bedroom apartment about 10 minutes from downtown Knoxville for $900.00 a month so it's been quite a shock to see $2000s or more for a 1-bedroom in some of those cities. I know that salaries change depending on what region you're in but is it really that much of a jump?

We are NOT looking for the suburban lifestyle. The idea of walking out the front door and being able to access a variety of restaurants, shops, cultural activities, etc sounds absolutely amazing to us. Heck, being able to sell one of our cars (or maybe both?) because we can get where we need to on foot, bike, or public transit would be perfect. I am tired of having to get in the car to go to the movies, pick up something from the grocery store, go eat, etc., etc.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:13 PM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
We are NOT looking for the suburban lifestyle. The idea of walking out the front door and being able to access a variety of restaurants, shops, cultural activities, etc sounds absolutely amazing to us.
Your best bet is Philadelphia for a large east coast city that has everything you could want at a still reasonable cost of living. It doesn't get any better than that.

And yes, salaries are much higher in east coast cities than a place like Knoxville. Plus, many households are dual income. The east coast has a highly-educated and career-oriented population, in general.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-18-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 02:15 PM

56,551 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Thank you for all of the suggestions! To be frank, I'm not really sure what our budget is as I have no idea on what's realistic in terms of COL for us in any of the northern & east coast cities. We live in a 2-bedroom apartment about 10 minutes from downtown Knoxville for $900.00 a month so it's been quite a shock to see $2000s or more for a 1-bedroom in some of those cities. I know that salaries change depending on what region you're in but is it really that much of a jump?

We are NOT looking for the suburban lifestyle. The idea of walking out the front door and being able to access a variety of restaurants, shops, cultural activities, etc sounds absolutely amazing to us. Heck, being able to sell one of our cars (or maybe both?) because we can get where we need to on foot, bike, or public transit would be perfect. I am tired of having to get in the car to go to the movies, pick up something from the grocery store, go eat, etc., etc.
Price will depend on the city and the major cities will be higher, but your pay may even things out. You may find something in those metros in between a Knoxville and the major Bos-Wash metros. So, that may be something to consider.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:37 PM

12,416 posts, read 11,917,166 times
As to northern metros, Pittsburgh is only about 6% more expensive than Knoxville overall (according to an online calculator I found). Housing is very much cheaper.

Other Northeastern Cities. Keep in mind this is the metro, not the city proper, which explains why NYC isn't number one.

Buffalo - 10%
Rochester - 15%
Baltimore - 30%
Philadelphia - 38%
New Haven - 43%
New York - 51%
Boston - 56%
DC - 62%

Old 10-18-2013, 02:40 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Your best bet is Philadelphia for a large east coast city that has everything you could want at a still reasonable cost of living. It doesn't get any better than that.
That's debatable, it's cheaper for a reason. One has to adapt to a gritty, very urban city which isn't for everyone. Cities like Boston or DC provide a city feel without the grit/grime that many (including myself) don't find appealing.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:01 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,133,500 times
Atlanta. If you need to visit home you both can take Megabus to Nashville or to Memphis. Our COL isn't bad compared to other places, we have the most direct flights than any other airport in the world, etc, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or