U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 03:36 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,548,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Asheville is a boutique city and pricey. I imagine the OPs have visited several times, if not they should while they are in the area. Louisville is a bit bigger and has a great neighborhood commercial area (bardstown road), but I don't see it being a big enough change from Knoxville if they are going to the trouble to move.

Columbus seems like a good suggestion.

A huge issue with Asheville are jobs . . . There are none. Even people who will do service industry type McJobs cant find work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 10:16 PM

6,561 posts, read 13,770,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Asheville is a boutique city and pricey. I imagine the OPs have visited several times, if not they should while they are in the area. Louisville is a bit bigger and has a great neighborhood commercial area (bardstown road), but I don't see it being a big enough change from Knoxville if they are going to the trouble to move.

Columbus seems like a good suggestion.
Sorry my friend, Columbus is not at all a "big city" compared to Louisville. Very comparable size and feel to the cities.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:39 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,140,763 times
Since you're going to have to get on a plane (realistically - for the sake of time) to visit family, why limit yourself to a NE state with horrible winters? Why not look west? Somewhere where summers aren't hot and humid enough to melt you, and winters aren't a grind of snow, ice, and frigid temps (and the utility bills that brings).

Old 10-20-2013, 02:01 AM

56,744 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Since you're going to have to get on a plane (realistically - for the sake of time) to visit family, why limit yourself to a NE state with horrible winters? Why not look west? Somewhere where summers aren't hot and humid enough to melt you, and winters aren't a grind of snow, ice, and frigid temps (and the utility bills that brings).
Denver may be their best choice out West, given the criteria. Maybe Salt Lake City, but its a little bit further West and it may infringe on some of the criteria.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:44 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,099,711 times
Richmond Virginia. And I lived in the heart of Boston for 15 years previously, and don't miss it

Old 10-23-2013, 10:18 PM

4,475 posts, read 7,300,888 times
Minneapolis is a GREAT city for outdoor activities. Even in the winter. Yes, it does get hot there too. It's also a lot hillier than you'd think for a midwestern city. Not far from the Great Lakes either.

Surprisingly enough, Minneapolis is the #2 most bike friendly city in the U.S. behind Portland, Oregon. MANY trails for miles and miles and parks galore. Minnehaha Park is one of many parks within the city I love and is also equipped with a beautiful water fall and hiking trails all the way to the Mississippi. Like you're in the wild, but in the middle of a major metropolitan area at the same time. It is also located right on the light rail line interestingly enough.

Also, you can get around just fine without a vehicle. There is the Light Rail along Hiawatha Avenue with another line about to open between downtown Minneapolis and downtown Saint Paul and more in the works.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:58 AM

1,964 posts, read 2,557,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
This right here! The natural beauty of the West is something that must be experienced in life!

Old 11-09-2013, 07:33 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,124,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Atlanta isn't southern ...
Ha! Thats a good one.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:34 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,124,171 times
To the OP I would suggest Baltimore or Philadelphia.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:47 PM

6,523 posts, read 7,477,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Minneapolis is a GREAT city for outdoor activities. Even in the winter. Yes, it does get hot there too. It's also a lot hillier than you'd think for a midwestern city. Not far from the Great Lakes either.

Surprisingly enough, Minneapolis is the #2 most bike friendly city in the U.S. behind Portland, Oregon. MANY trails for miles and miles and parks galore. Minnehaha Park is one of many parks within the city I love and is also equipped with a beautiful water fall and hiking trails all the way to the Mississippi. Like you're in the wild, but in the middle of a major metropolitan area at the same time. It is also located right on the light rail line interestingly enough.

Also, you can get around just fine without a vehicle. There is the Light Rail along Hiawatha Avenue with another line about to open between downtown Minneapolis and downtown Saint Paul and more in the works.

The OP would do well to read this post about Minnesota. I also live in Tennessee, and I know what the OP is used to as far as cost of living and the culture. I enjoy living here but I can see how some people, especially young people might want something different. Moving to the Northeast as they stated they would like to do in their post will be a huge shock to them. Culture shock, cost of living shock, traffic etc. The northeast is a tough place for tough people. If your not used to that or expecting it when you go there that place will chew you up and spit you out. (I used to go there for a job often) An upper Midwest city like Minneapolis would be a great place for them to get something different, but not so alien they hate it. Of the states in the upper Midwest, Mn is the best choice. Wisconsin and Michigan are similar to MN, but they should be avoided for economic reasons. Another city to look at is Chicago, decent job prospects and it offers the OP all the big city things they seem to be interested in. The Midwest is politically moderate, in that respect it is very different from the more liberal north east, and different from the conservative south. Also the people in the Midwest are more open and friendly than they are in the northeast. The one downside to the upper Midwest is extreme weather, temps can change very very radically within hours. Summer can be 90 plus, while in January its -30. I would say that takes the OPs request for "four seasons" climate to an extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or