U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 04:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,379 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

So I'm fully aware that no city is perfect, but I want to believe that in a country as big as ours I can find somewhere to re-locate I was born and raised in the SF Bay Area, lived and worked in SF and Oakland, and am currently living in Berlin Germany. I would absolutely love to stay here or in Europe, but due to visa issues that isn't a possibility. I've already decided that when I move back to the U.S. I don't want to go back to the Bay Area because the cost of living is really high and continues to rise due to more and more tech companies like Google and Facebook opening up branches there, and the popularity of the area in general. I'm also a democrat/liberal, but I've found I can no longer handle the super super left ideology that is so extreme in SF/Oakland (ie people walking around naked, doing drugs on the sidewalk, protesting about wages when they make $70k a year). I'm really not interested in any huge major cities like NY, or LA, but I'd maybe consider Chicago. I don't really think I want to go to the North East, but everywhere else is fair game. Coming from CA, weather extremes scare me a little bit, though I'd also consider Minnesota, but the though of -25* winter's are alarming. Nevertheless, I wouldn't rule it out on that alone. Also, I'm in my late 20's and single, so I'd also like to go somewhere I could conceivably meet someone. I lived in a really small country town for a few months taking care of my Dad, and I actually liked it, except everyone there was very conservative, there was literally no one in my age range, and the closest gay people were about 3 hours away. However, if I had a partner I would probably like small town living, but I'd have to meet someone before that could happen
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 06:39 AM

21,204 posts, read 30,412,852 times
As a gay male who has a pretty good handle on various LGBT-friendly cities I would recommend Atlanta. The inner-ring suburb of Decatur has the second highest population ratio of Lesbians in the US. The neighboring communities of East Atlanta, Kirkwood, North Decatur and Avondale Estates are pretty much equally populated (Gay and Lesbian) and quite a bit more affordable.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:42 AM

542 posts, read 1,407,420 times
San Francisco
Atlanta
New York
Minneapolis

Old 10-17-2013, 07:03 AM

56,696 posts, read 81,017,273 times
If you don't mind smaller areas in the Northeast, Ithaca NY and Burlington VT may work, but I'd look into surrounding communities if you are willing to consider them. Not all of the Northeast is expensive/high COL, as the Interior Northeast is more affordable. Rochester NY is another Northeastern city/area that could work: GLBTQ Community - Rochester Wiki

Major college town areas could work, but it may be a matter of where they are located.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As a gay male who has a pretty good handle on various LGBT-friendly cities I would recommend Atlanta. The inner-ring suburb of Decatur has the second highest population ratio of Lesbians in the US. The neighboring communities of East Atlanta, Kirkwood, North Decatur and Avondale Estates are pretty much equally populated (Gay and Lesbian) and quite a bit more affordable.

I've actually heard a few good things about Atlanta, but I don't know if I have the gumption to deal with a super red place/state in the deep south. But maybe that's just a stereotype? Atlanta itself seems pretty trendy, but would I be able to go anywhere else in the state lol?

Last edited by FumoBlu; 10-17-2013 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 10-17-2013, 08:22 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,078,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FumoBlu View Post
I've actually heard a few good things about Atlanta, but I don't know if I have the gumption to deal with a super red place/state in the deep south. But maybe that's just a stereotype? Atlanta itself seems pretty trendy, but would I be able to go anywhere else in the state lol?
Decatur, GA is anything but red. And yes, I know lesbians that live all over the state.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:56 AM

21,204 posts, read 30,412,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FumoBlu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Decatur, GA is anything but red. And yes, I know lesbians that live all over the state.
As LovinDecatur said Lesbians live all over Georgia and yes, you're dealing with a stereotype...
The Atlanta metroplex is huge and covers 1/3 the state so it's hardly a Blue island in a sea of Red. The mountain areas to the north (in/around Dahlonega and Elijay) have a decent LGBT representation as does Savannah, Augusta and Athens.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:07 AM

189 posts, read 306,492 times
St. Louis is the most gay friendly city not on a coast, falling between NYC and Chicago in a recent ranking.

St. Louis One of Most Gay-Friendly Cities In The Country, Another Report Finds

Seems like other relatively inexpensive places are Philly, Austin, Denver or Portland for you.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:18 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,645,048 times
Gotta imagine San Fran

Old 10-17-2013, 11:32 AM

2,438 posts, read 4,228,564 times
Look at Portland and Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.