U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 06:35 PM

45,089 posts, read 36,318,714 times

Advertisements

Love me some pho! It's super easy to make too. Consequently, my favorite pho is the pho I make myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 09:12 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,368,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Seattle got some good ones as well. What I love is some of them even do a play on the word. We have restaurants "Pho Dang", "Pho it up", "What the Pho!" I always have to laugh.
Lol. Yea my current favorite is a T-Shirt I saw yesterday that read, "Pho-get about it!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I like a local place near the jail called "What Chu In Pho?"
Please tell me thats also how the server takes your order

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Love me some pho! It's super easy to make too. Consequently, my favorite pho is the pho I make myself.
Hmm...I'm not sure Kathryn. I might need a receipt for that claim next time you're in the City. (receipt=proof)

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 10-20-2013 at 10:11 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 09:34 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,596,052 times
the best pho I've had is in San Francisco. 2nd best is any of the numerous places around Argyle in Chicago.

often times I just make it myself at home, not that hard esp if you use a veggie base instead of a meat stock. I've still got some thai basil growing out by the balcony but it will probably die soon.

I'm pretty sure the pho influence in Nola and vicinity is being pushed outward from greater Houston... I remember buying vietnamese stuff in FL and it would be made in Houston.

Orlando also has a pretty good vietnamese area...

Old 10-20-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
the best pho I've had is in San Francisco. 2nd best is any of the numerous places around Argyle in Chicago.

often times I just make it myself at home, not that hard esp if you use a veggie base instead of a meat stock. I've still got some thai basil growing out by the balcony but it will probably die soon.

I'm pretty sure the pho influence in Nola and vicinity is being pushed outward from greater Houston... I remember buying vietnamese stuff in FL and it would be made in Houston.

Orlando also has a pretty good vietnamese area...
I was just speaking to a native Chicagoan yesterday about pho variety there. Can't wait to see for myself next year!

I can tell you though that Houston has nothing to do with the Vietnamese culture here. NOLA has had Vietnamese enclaves and communities since 1975. But, I bet H-Town has some kick*** Vietnamese restaurants though. I know for sure they have a lot more than we do.

How's the pho in Florida?

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 10-20-2013 at 10:20 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 10:09 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,135,293 times
Houston has the 3rd largest Vietnamese population in American after Los Angeles & San Jose. Naturally, the Pho in Houston is going to be the bomb. Its like McDonald's or Jack In The Box, there is a Pho restaurant on every corner almost in H-Town.

Cities like DC, Seattle, & New Orleans all have large Vietnamese populations no doubt, but they don't compare to Houston.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...an_populations

Old 10-20-2013, 10:21 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,583,738 times
I had my first bowel of Pho on Spadina Ave. in Toronto in 1976. It was love at first bite. My wife and I were long distance truckers for a few years and we were in all 48 states south of our border and all across Canada also. Where ever we were I always kept my eyes peeled for Pho places we could stop at and get a bite. IN ALL OF THE DOZENS OF PLACES WE FOUND I DON'T THINK I EVER HAD ANY PHO THAT WAS BELOW AN A MINUS. Now that we have settled down permanently here in Niagara Falls I feel just so lucky cause we have a Vietnamese place that is the best I have ever been to. It's just awesome. It has a very extensive menu with some choices I have never seen before. There is this one that I'm drooling about just thinking of it. It's a Vietnamese style catfish hotpot. The fish is baked in a broth that is kind of like Pho, maybe a little more lemongrass and ginger, I don't really know, they won't reveal the recipe. It's really to die for.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I had my first bowel of Pho on Spadina Ave. in Toronto in 1976. It was love at first bite. My wife and I were long distance truckers for a few years and we were in all 48 states south of our border and all across Canada also. Where ever we were I always kept my eyes peeled for Pho places we could stop at and get a bite. IN ALL OF THE DOZENS OF PLACES WE FOUND I DON'T THINK I EVER HAD ANY PHO THAT WAS BELOW AN A MINUS. Now that we have settled down permanently here in Niagara Falls I feel just so lucky cause we have a Vietnamese place that is the best I have ever been to. It's just awesome. It has a very extensive menu with some choices I have never seen before. There is this one that I'm drooling about just thinking of it. It's a Vietnamese style catfish hotpot. The fish is baked in a broth that is kind of like Pho, maybe a little more lemongrass and ginger, I don't really know, they won't reveal the recipe. It's really to die for.
Yea I'm pretty much torturing myself just talking about this stuff. Here's what I just read Anthony Bourdain had at Pho Tau Bang in NOLA:

"Bun Bo Hue-A hot and spicy pork and beef soup served in a fish stock with large rice noodles. The soup has a spicy bold delightful taste to satisfy your appetite. This is an authentic soup that originated from Central Vietnam"

This sounds like every hope and dream I've ever had

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 10-20-2013 at 10:54 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 10:39 PM

17,318 posts, read 19,597,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
So what about you? What's the best pho you've ever had?
I've had Pho at a number of Vietnamese restaurants near where I live in Maryland. I liked them all, especially with the spicy hot sauce.

I should try Pho when I go to other places too. I guess I never thought about that.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:37 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,596,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I was just speaking to a native Chicagoan yesterday about pho variety there. Can't wait to see for myself next year!

I can tell you though that Houston has nothing to do with the Vietnamese culture here. NOLA has had Vietnamese enclaves and communities since 1975. But, I bet H-Town has some kick*** Vietnamese restaurants though. I know for sure they have a lot more than we do.

How's the pho in Florida?
What I was saying is, it radiates from Houston, Houston is *the* epicenter for the entire south east in terms of Vietnmase and I bet ingredients etc are sourced from their in stores, esp if stuff like fresh bakery items and noodles make it all the way to Florida.

I know there are lots of vietnamese fisherman and such around LA/MS

Old 10-20-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
What I was saying is, it radiates from Houston, Houston is *the* epicenter for the entire south east in terms of Vietnmase and I bet ingredients etc are sourced from their in stores, esp if stuff like fresh bakery items and noodles make it all the way to Florida.
Oh no I understood what you meant bro. I can't be sure, but being that these communities here all grow their own produce, I doubt that any more than a modicum of anything is shipped in..if any at all. There's a pretty sizable Vietnamese Fresh Market on the Westbank where Viet-Nola residents sell locally grown/made goods to restaurants and general consumers alike. But I guess it would make sense that some purveyors might order from Houston. I just don't see the need for it when you can get it all fresh here.

Not sure about Florida though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.